OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:05:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiverse Theory - Copernicus/Galileo 2.0?  (Read 474 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »

Watched an interview with Michio Kaku today about the multiverse theory and the possibility that our universe is giving birth to multiple other universes.
http://youtu.be/nZiROWO6iVs

Okay, aside from the cheap shots at Christianity and religion, this is definitely intriguing. I see nothing that makes it incompatible with Christianity, and it just makes me wonder more at the vastness of God's creation.

Also, I learned from another source that apparently forward time travel is possible, you just have to go fast enough. The first time traveler was Sergei Avdeyev, who traveled forward in time for 20 milliseconds. It makes me wonder though, that if time travel is connected to speed, that there must be a point where the speed and time become ineffecient, that is, where you go so fast and so far forward in time that you end up at your destination later than if you had gone slower...
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »

I don't have much to add, but fwiw, regarding speeds and time travel, the Through The Wormhole episode (Science Channel) tonight at 10PM is on "Can we travel faster than light?"... the description says "Faster-than-light travel, warp drives and wormholes are discussed". I generally find the Wormhole show entertaining enough, though it is TV science, so you're getting at least 33% BS and 33% fringe hypotheses with every episode. Still, just figured I'd mention it in case you're interested...
theo philosopher
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »

I think the multiverse theory is currently improbable (who knows what we'll discover tomorrow though). But as you stated, it's not really incompatible with Christianity at all. The only cosmological theory(ies) that would be incompatible is any theory that attempts to say that nature arose by itself or has eternally existed in some form. Outside of those two claims, it's a wide open door.

As for faster than light travel, at the quantum level it's not only possible, but it's happened. At the 'Big Bang' the universe expanded from the size of a pin head to millions of light years across in just a few seconds. That's exceptionally faster than the speed of light. The question is whether or not we can exceed the speed of light given our current physics or if we can reach the quantum level in order to subvert the current laws of physics.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:01:59 PM by theo philosopher » Logged

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

So wait.. science now suggests rationally that there are multiple dimensions, simultaneously layered and of course mutually interacting at several levels of existence? How is that any different then our Christian concepts of "Heaven" exactly Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

So wait.. science now suggests rationally that there are multiple dimensions, simultaneously layered and of course mutually interacting at several levels of existence? How is that any different then our Christian concepts of "Heaven" exactly Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Well, one difference is that in our concept of "heaven" (though not a "place") is that it is outside of time, outside of our concepts of existence and being inside time. It is eternal, beyond time and space.
God himself is outside and beyond time, and existing before time. He is also outside of our concept of "existence" and place.

Multiple dimensions would still be existing within time and space.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Well, one difference is that in our concept of "heaven"...is that it is outside of time
Is this a biblical idea?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:48:20 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Well, one difference is that in our concept of "heaven"...is that it is outside of time
Is this a biblical idea?

Why wouldn't it be? It comes from the church fathers...
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »

So wait.. science now suggests rationally that there are multiple dimensions, simultaneously layered and of course mutually interacting at several levels of existence?

Or our ideas of the hypostatic union of God? Pretty fascinating stuff. Our idea of God isn't too imaginative; our idea of God is not imaginative enough.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:01:57 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: