OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reversing the order of the sacraments  (Read 513 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: July 20, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »

Hi all.

I thought about starting this thread in the Christian News section  but then figured it would be more appropriate here, especially since it's old news by now.

Liverpool: reversing the order of the sacraments

The long and short of it is that the [Western Catholic] Archdiocese of Liverpool will be confirming children before giving them First Holy Communion.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »

Hi all.

I thought about starting this thread in the Christian News section  but then figured it would be more appropriate here, especially since it's old news by now.

The long and short of it is that the [Western Catholic] Archdiocese of Liverpool will be confirming children before giving them First Holy Communion.

That would be the correct way. Even more traditional with ancient practice if baptism, confirmation/chrismation, and communion were done in succession at a single service.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »

It would not be a bad thing if the RC would put the sacraments back in their proper order for all the faithful and it became a universal practice for them.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »

I know faithful adult Roman Catholics who were never confirmed and feel no need to do so, despite the fact they do everything else by the book. It's bizarre.

This correction of the order of sacraments will probably help people understand how important confirmation is.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »

My grandfather, who was RCC, said he received the first three sacraments on the same day (simultaneously with baptism). He was born long before Vatican II. My mother was born in the 1940s, but she I believe she received the separate sacraments, in different years. I got separate sacraments, and I was born after Vatican II. This makes me curious as to whether the policy was decided by local bishops before it was codified for everyone.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »

Hi all.

That would be the correct way. Even more traditional with ancient practice if baptism, confirmation/chrismation, and communion were done in succession at a single service.
Yup. Wonderful that they're changing it, really. Smiley

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »

This correction of the order of sacraments will probably help people understand how important confirmation is.

I think there are good reasons for reversing -- or, as you put it, correcting -- the order of first communion and confirmation. Holy communion before confirmation was unheard of until relatively recently in the life of the Church.

But here's the thing: saying mass versus populi is an even more recent development, and yet the Archdiocese of Liverpool doesn't seem to be making any effort to return to the traditional practice of saying mass ad orientum. In fact, it sounds like the Archdiocese of Liverpool is pretty accepting in general of the changes since Vatican II. So why are they so interested in the traditional order of the sacraments?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:09:26 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: