OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:47:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint Elijah in Armenian  (Read 2288 times) Average Rating: 0
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: July 20, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »

I am looking for the name "Saint Elijah" in Armenian script.  The intent is to have an icon of the Saint written with his name in Armenian.  I have looked at online translators but I do not know how accurate they are.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:42:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's:

ՍՈՒՐԲ ԵՂԻԱ ՄԱՐԳԱՐԷ

Hopefully Aram and Gisasargavak can proof read it.   Smiley

The first word is Soorp, which means saint or holy.  The second word is Yeghia, or Elijah, and the third is Markareh, which means prophet.  (The gh in Yeghia is kind of like the French r, but more of a glide.)

Here is a webpage with his name in Armenian (without the word "saint" in front):

http://www.stmaryaac.org/pdf/ebulletin/May_30.pdf
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:43:32 AM by Salpy » Logged

Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »

I wonder if it shouldn't be, Սուրբ Եղիա Մարգարէն instead? i.e. Saint Elijah, the Prophet.

This is how I would say it in normal speech, but I'm not sure if you need the ն in iconography or not. And I don't even know how many Armenian icons of the Old Testament prophets are in existence, if any.

P.S. I *do* have an Armenian icon of Saint Bartholemew and his name is represented ՍԲ Բարթողիմէոս Առաքեալ (no definite article), so I'm assuming that it would be the same for Մարգարէ?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:58:21 AM by Gisasargavak » Logged
Gisasargavak

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »

Btw, in iconography, I think that Սուրբ is always condensed to ՍԲ with a line over it. I'll try to upload a pic sometime today.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »

Btw, in iconography, I think that Սուրբ is always condensed to ՍԲ with a line over it. I'll try to upload a pic sometime today.

That sounds right to me.

And I honestly don't know about the definite article. 

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »

This is the site of an Armenian iconographer:

http://www.haikazarian.com/en/galerie/icoane1/

Not all of his icons have Armenian inscriptions, but on those that do you can see the ՍԲ with the line over it.  The icon of Sts. Gayane and Hripsime (in the middle of the second row) is an example of this.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »

This is the site of an Armenian iconographer:

http://www.haikazarian.com/en/galerie/icoane1/

Not all of his icons have Armenian inscriptions, but on those that do you can see the ՍԲ with the line over it.  The icon of Sts. Gayane and Hripsime (in the middle of the second row) is an example of this.

Is he EO? I ask because the style is Byzantine iconography through and through.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:14:31 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »

I really don't know which church he belongs to.  His style, though, is definitely Greek.

Brigidsboy
Elder

Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »

I really don't know which church he belongs to.  His style, though, is definitely Greek.

The Armenian Iconographic Tradition is largely preserved in illuminated manuscripts. The Artist Toros Roslin was the greatest exponent of this art.
His style had much in common with the Byzantine Tradition. I'm sure this is where the contemporary artist finds his inspiration.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Gisasargavak

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »

It seems to me that "pure" (whatever that means) Armenian iconography is a halfway-point between the 2-D Byzantine and the more "realistic" Russian styles. Armenian icons are not only found in manuscripts, but also as murals on the church walls themselves.

Personally, I do think that the Armenian Church hasn't put much emphasis on its iconography, and I would like to see a revival of it in and outside of Armenia. There are probably only a handful of "real" Armenian iconographers today, and from what I gather they tend to make icons in the Byzantine style and just add the Armenian inscription, but don't be fooled, we do have our own tradition.
Brigidsboy
Elder

Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:18:31 AM »

It seems to me that "pure" (whatever that means) Armenian iconography is a halfway-point between the 2-D Byzantine and the more "realistic" Russian styles. Armenian icons are not only found in manuscripts, but also as murals on the church walls themselves.

Personally, I do think that the Armenian Church hasn't put much emphasis on its iconography, and I would like to see a revival of it in and outside of Armenia. There are probably only a handful of "real" Armenian iconographers today, and from what I gather they tend to make icons in the Byzantine style and just add the Armenian inscription, but don't be fooled, we do have our own tradition.

I agree completely. The Coptic Church has had great success in reviving its distinctive artistic tradition. I hope the Armenian Church does so as well.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »

I agree completely. The Coptic Church has had great success in reviving its distinctive artistic tradition. I hope the Armenian Church does so as well.

I would so love that to happen. 

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »

Thank you everyone!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »

Well, I think the conclusion is that what you want is:

ՍԲ ԵՂԻԱ ՄԱՐԳԱՐԷ

With a line over the ՍԲ

You could also just do ՍԲ ԵՂԻԱ (with the line over the ՍԲ)

That would just be "St. Elijah."

Gisasargavak

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »

Well, I think the conclusion is that what you want is:

ՍԲ ԵՂԻԱ ՄԱՐԳԱՐԷ

With a line over the ՍԲ

You could also just do ՍԲ ԵՂԻԱ (with the line over the ՍԲ)

That would just be "St. Elijah."

Yes, this seems correct.
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »

Gisasargavak is right on pretty much all fronts here.
Tags: OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: