OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:20:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Forbidden Archeology"  (Read 5754 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: June 29, 2004, 01:47:53 AM »

I was recently chatting with a Hare Krishna friend of mine on the topic of evolution. He firmly rejects the theory of evolution, and reccomended a book that does the same. "Forbidden Archeology" by Michael Cremo. I guess there have been two sequels to this book, and it has caused some controversy amoung the scientific community. I was curious and did a little research and it is about 1000 pages! I am told that this book, with paleontological and archeological evidence, disproves the theory of evolution.  I am curious to know if any of you have read it. I also happen to have found out it is by a Hare Krishna devotee, though that book is purely scientific, I guess it has been attacked because the author is active in the Hare Krishna community. Anyway just wondering if any of you know anything about the book, or its sequels.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:19:58 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 03:39:33 AM »

It looks crazy. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0892132949/qid=1088494669/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-3427714-4534533?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 04:28:25 AM »

Here's the guy's site. http://www.mcremo.com/

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 08:14:21 AM »

Well, his site confesses a total lack of scientific education, at least at the college level.

Frankly, I'm not the least bit interested in reading a kilopage doorstop, not if I can't be convinced of some merit in it. I'd rather read something shorted and more edifying, like a Michener novel. But I did bother to do the Google.

Naturally, the Google results show a lot of booksellers, but what's more interesting is that every crackpot site on the net seems to refer this book! There's a link to a skeptics site early on selling a book about this book (more money ill-spent, in my opinion) and then finally, on the fifth page, there is a reference to a genuine critical review:

Forbidden Archaeology: Antievolutionism Outside the Christian Arena

Two search pages later I came upon a shorter critique. The first of these is perhaps more useful, in that it is written more in the fashion of a scientific journal; ther second, however, summarizes what is wrong with the book nicely in the examination of a single case.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 06:49:24 AM by Keble » Logged
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 08:27:15 PM »

Interesting...I think I should just buy it and read it for myself. I am very interested and since finding out about the book and I have spoken with several individuals who read the book, all of whom were firmly convinced that the theory of evolution is a big lie after reading it. If what I have heard is true about this book, and the evidence contained within this book...... the theory of evolution, embraced as pure scientific truth by millions, is a big fat lie, and the scientific community just won't and can't admitt it.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 09:47:29 PM »

This the way I see it. When you want to learn about philosophy, read Socrates. When you want to learn theology, read St. Basil. When you want to learn to about evolution, read Darwin. That doesn't mean you have to believe in evolution. But reading Cremo to learn about science, is like reading Jack Chirck to learn about the Roman Catholic Church.

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 10:00:44 PM »

Why? Why is reading Cremo to learn about science like reading Jack Chick to learn about Roman Catholicism? I haven't read his book, but those who have, have said it isn't a bunch of anti-scientific Hare Krishna nonsense. And if you haven't read it, you shouldn't assume thats what it is. Darwin was just a man, a perfectly fallible man, who wasn't some kind of god, and shouldn't be treated as such. We should be open to any and all new scientific theories and discoveries, and not just close the book on the origin of man with the theories of Darwin. Cremo's book honestly could be a bunch of crap, 960 pages of crap, I won't know that until I read it, but I think one should always keep an open mind. Who knows, I may read this book, and feel stupid for even buying it, but I won't know that until I read it. And until I do read it, certainly I shouldn't dismiss it just because it contradicts the theories of Darwin. Such a closed minded attitude is just pure nonsense.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:03:18 PM by Ben » Logged

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 10:07:12 PM »

From what I know, Cremo seems a bit nuts. But that's really beyond the point. The point is that his book like many others seems to be junk science. It seems to me that he's trying to be the next Von Daniken. Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:07:28 PM by Andreas » Logged

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 10:09:52 PM »

And why does Cremo seem to be a nut? And why do you feel that his work is merely "junk science'?

Honest questions here. I mean since you don't know him, and haven't read his books, I must say you are quite bold to come to such conclusions.

I am not saying your conclusions are wrong, his book may very well be junk, but until really reading it and doing some research on his sources and so on, how are you able to come to such conclusions?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:14:26 PM by Ben » Logged

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 10:19:35 PM »

Why do I think he's nuts? You mean beyond the fact he became a Hare Krishna? Wink I have leraned something in my short life, and I have learned there are some religions that attract the ignorant, crazy, and fanatical folks. Those religons are Pentecostal, Jehovah Witness, Mormonsim and Hare Krishna. You will alsmost never find an intellectual in those faiths, especially from those who chose them. But beyond that point, this guy doesn't have the education to prove every scientist, biologist, naturalist, and zoologist in the world wrong by showing evolution to be false. Listen, I'm not saying don't read the book, I'm just saying it's not going to be enlightening.

P.S. I don't need to be shot to know it hurts. Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:20:39 PM by Andreas » Logged

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

Ah religious descrimination! I must say that is a poor excuse, but hey its your opinion. I have no idea who this Cremo guy is, but come on he is a nut just because he is a Hare Krishna devotee? That is really nonsense.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I really don't, but do you know what the Hare Krishnas believe?

As for his education, that is a good reason to doubt his works, I totally agree with that. However, I don't know what his education is, what is it?

But in his books he doesn't think up any new theories, he just shows that humans just like us existed millions of years ago with solid archeological evidence, thats at least what I've heard. One doesn't need to be a well educated genius to do that!

Anyway, whether I or anybody else reads the book or not isn't the point, one shouldn't be so closed minded. As I said we can't just close the book on the origin of man with Darwin's theories. I don't think you or anybody else can judge this book as "junk science" without reading it and doing some research on his sources and so on. I am sorry but the fact that he is Hare Krishna isn't enough to convince me that his book is junk.

You don't have to read it, no one does, but I'd read it before dismissing it and judging it as "junk science".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:30:23 PM by Ben » Logged

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 10:40:46 PM »

Ah religious descrimination! I must say that is a poor excuse, but hey its your opinion. I have no idea who this Cremo guy is, but come on he is a nut just because he is a Hare Krishna devotee? That is really nonsense.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I really don't, but do you know what the Hare Krishnas believe?

As for his education, that is a good reason to doubt his works, I totally agree with that. However, I don't know what his education is, what is it?

But in his books he doesn't think up any new theories, he just shows that humans just like us existed millions of years ago with solid archeological evidence, thats at least what I've heard. One doesn't need to be a well educated genius to do that!

Anyway, whether I or anybody else reads the book or not isn't the point, one shouldn't be so closed minded. As I said we can't just close the book on the origin of man with Darwin's theories. I don't think you or anybody else can judge this book as "junk science" without reading it and doing some research on his sources and so on. I am sorry but the fact that he is Hare Krishna isn't enough to convince me that his book is junk.

You don't have to read it, no one does, but I'd read it before dismissing it and judging it as "junk science".

It's not religious discrimination, it's just reality. If you think people who become Hare Krishnas are sane, that's great. But just like when somebody in a suit knocks on my door and asks me "If I'm saved", I don't really have to spend too long thinking before I realize that I'm not dealing with an Einstein.

I'm pretty familiar with what Hares believe. I have been to a few temples, and read the Gita. I can't claim to be a scholar, though. However, before I became Orthodox I studied most of the known religions.

Nobody is saying to just accept Darwim and put your fingers in your ears when sombody goes against what he believed. But the truth is that evolution to most scientists is a theorem.

P.S. Sorry for being annoying. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:51:45 PM by Andreas » Logged

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 10:54:43 PM »

Well I must say that out of all of the Hindu sects and schools, the Hare Krishnas are the most sain.

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 10:57:26 PM »

I disagree, sir. Grin

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »

Hmm, I wonder why, I'll PM you, because honestly they are....well at least from my study, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:10:28 PM by Ben » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 11:14:35 PM »

Well I must say that out of all of the Hindu sects and schools, the Hare Krishnas are the most sain.

If you haven't been to India, you can't make that determination Smiley

In all seriousness, though, if we had to read every book and theory to disprove it, we'd be bogged down forever.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

If you haven't been to India, you can't make that determination Smiley

One doesn't have to go all the way to India to study Hinduism, and all of its sects. Honestly, in this modern world, such a journey isn't neccesary.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 11:21:50 PM »

Ben,

I am sorry, but if you haven't been to India, you cannot understand Hinduism.  Only someone unfamiliar with Hinduism would think that reading about it in books or talking to Hindus in America would in any way allow one to come to an informed position about Hinduism. You CAN NOT understand Hinduism without experiencing it in India--most of real Hinduism is not what you read about in books here. It just isn't the same thing.  American scholars infected with the Indian equivalent of what Edward Said termed Orientalism (see the book on amazon) created a fake Hinduism that was all "mystical" and "cool" and that is what is taught in universities.  Well that is not what it is like in India.  Trust me, I've been there twice.  You don't read about how Hindus drink cow piss mixed with ghee in textbooks. Or how they smear cow crap in their kitchen.  Or how they worship rocks with smiley faces painted on them while gyrating in sexual motions.  I really could go on and on but it wouldn't profit much.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 11:24:07 PM »

In all seriousness, though, if we had to read every book and theory to disprove it, we'd be bogged down forever.

I totally agree, but my point was one should dimiss a book as junk without first reading it or at least doing some research on the author, his/her sources, and so on. And certaily one shouldn't dimiss a theory as junk without doing a great deal of research.

J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 11:27:24 PM »

The degree of one's intellectualist tendencies is no means by which to measure their worth.
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 11:29:03 PM »

So if I wrote a book about how pixie fairies controlled the weather, one would have to read it before they could dismiss it as junk?

Grin
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:29:41 PM by Andreas » Logged

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 11:30:36 PM »

Oh, and on a lighter note, while we're on the subject of Hare Krsna, do you suppose it's a sin to eat Prasadam (any food prepared by a devotee)?  I know Paul says that it's not okay to eat food sacrificed to idols if it will scandalize your brother, but if you know that the sacrifice was meaningless and your friends do, too, then doesn't he say something to the effect of it being okay?  I just thought of this question right now.  Needless to say, I haven't had Krsna food since long before I was Orthodox, so it's really just a conversaton-starter.  Any takers?
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 11:31:03 PM »

The degree of one's intellectualist tendencies is no means by which to measure their worth.

But it is measure of the worth of their writing on an intellectual subject.

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 11:33:42 PM »

Ben,

I am sorry, but if you haven't been to India, you cannot understand Hinduism.  Only someone unfamiliar with Hinduism would think that reading about it in books or talking to Hindus in America would in any way allow one to come to an informed position about Hinduism. You CAN NOT understand Hinduism without experiencing it in India--most of real Hinduism is not what you read about in books here. It just isn't the same thing.  American scholars infected with the Indian equivalent of what Edward Said termed Orientalism (see the book on amazon) created a fake Hinduism that was all "mystical" and "cool" and that is what is taught in universities.  Well that is not what it is like in India.  Trust me, I've been there twice.  You don't read about how Hindus drink cow piss mixed with ghee in textbooks. Or how they smear cow crap in their kitchen.  Or how they worship rocks with smiley faces painted on them while gyrating in sexual motions.  I really could go on and on but it wouldn't profit much.

anastasios

Anastasios,

I am sorry but all Hindu scripture is availble to me right here, as is a wide range of books about Hinduism and all of its sects, which don't all paint the perfect picture you assume they do. Believe it or not all of the bizare behavior that comes along with some sects of Hinudism that you described, isn't news to me. And you should keep in mind that Hinduism is a vast religion, with a wide range of sects and practices, and I assure all don't endore or reccomend the drinking of cow urine and the other behavior you described. I am not saying one can expirence all of Hinduism and Indian culture in the same way here in America than YEARS speant in India, but honestly unless you really do spend years in India, studing the various sects and schools, and the various aspects of India's complex culture, you don't have an any better view of Hinduism than if you just studied Hindusim from your home.

It would take years and years in India to explore Hinduism, and its various sects, and honestly that isn't something I have the time to do, but with the resources here in America, one can get at least a glimpse of the real Hinduism.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:42:19 PM by Ben » Logged

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 11:35:20 PM »

So if I wrote a book about how pixie fairies controlled the weather, one would have to read it before they could dismiss it as junk?

Grin

Come on, we're not talking about something that crazy here!

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 11:38:04 PM »

Come on, we're not talking about something that crazy here!

Isn't craziness relative, though? Wink

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 11:53:22 PM »

Interesting...I think I should just buy it and read it for myself. I am very interested and since finding out about the book and I have spoken with several individuals who read the book, all of whom were firmly convinced that the theory of evolution is a big lie after reading it. If what I have heard is true about this book, and the evidence contained within this book...... the theory of evolution, embraced as pure scientific truth by millions, is a big fat lie, and the scientific community just won't and can't admitt it.

Well, one question is Why would the "Scientific community" not do this?  Why would they lie? Do you have any training in the hard sciences, Ben?  Do you known alot about Geology or Biology?  Did you read the first link Keble provided?  Is the reviewer lying about the flaws he has found in Cremo's tome for some unknown reason?

People may convinced of all matter of silliness if it's presented in a way they like.  It doesn't make it true. And frankly not all persons are qualified to judge in all subjects.

I totally agree, but my point was one should dimiss a book as junk without first reading it or at least doing some research on the author, his/her sources, and so on. And certaily one shouldn't dimiss a theory as junk without doing a great deal of research.

No, sometimes a "great deal of research" is not required.  There may come a "theory" that is evident very early on that it is nonsense.

It seems that you, Ben, have decided that "Evolution" is a "Theory" that is a lie.  Therefore, this work is presented as supporting what you think, so it is worthy of great research.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 11:56:33 PM »

Grin

ah, no, Andreas, with all due respect to yourself, I think that I could quietly put it aside without any in depth study.

Cheesy Cheesy

Besides, everyone *knows* that pixies aren't *that* powerful.  <running and ducking now>
Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 11:59:17 PM »

Funny how RC or EO one is supposed to experience first hand to understand it, but Hinduism is able to be known from books.  That's an arm's length away at least.

Book larning isn't the same as the Real Life of a religion. Isn't that what's been said on this forum?

Ebor

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 12:00:07 AM »

ah, no, Andreas, with all due respect to yourself, I think that I could quietly put it aside without any in depth study.

Cheesy Cheesy

Besides, everyone *knows* that pixies aren't *that* powerful.  <running and ducking now>
Ebor

LOL Grin

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 12:12:56 AM »

Well, one question is Why would the "Scientific community" not do this?  Why would they lie? Do you have any training in the hard sciences, Ben?

All of which are addressed in "Forbidden Archeology".

Do you known alot about Geology or Biology?

No not a lot, I really don't have time. Though I am not a complete idiot in those areas.

Did you read the first link Keble provided ?

Ummm ya, which wasn't a review at all. The first link Keble provided states:

Michael Cremo is on the cutting edge of science and culture issues.  In the course of a few month's time he might be found on pilgrimage to sacred sites in India, appearing on a national television show, lecturing at a mainstream science conference, or speaking to an alternative science gathering.   As he crosses disciplinary and cultural boundaries, he presents to his various audiences a compelling case for negotiating a new consensus on the nature of reality.

Michael Cremo is a member of the History of Science Society, the World Archeological Congress, the Philosophy of Science Association, the European Association of Archaeologists and associate member of the Bhaktivedanta Institute specializing in history and philosophy of science.

And then there is a brief autobiography on Cremo.

No, sometimes a "great deal of research" is not required.  There may come a "theory" that is evident very early on that it is nonsense.

Exactly, like how pixie faries controlled the weather. But I don't think the theory of evoultion is nonsense, niether is the evidence and theories that contradict the theory of evoultion. I think when it comes to evolution, both arguments are worth a great deal of research and consideration before deciding whether they are fact or fiction.

It seems that you, Ben, have decided that "Evolution" is a "Theory" that is a lie.  Therefore, this work is presented as supporting what you think, so it is worthy of great research.

I never said the theory of evolution is a lie, I have just said arguments and books that say that, or are said to prove that, are worth consideration.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 12:18:46 AM »

whoops, my bad, I should have written "Have you read the *second* link Keble provided.  The one with a review of the book and some of it's flaws.

Ebor

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 12:19:06 AM »

Funny how RC or EO one is supposed to experience first hand to understand it, but Hinduism is able to be known from books.  That's an arm's length away at least.

Book larning isn't the same as the Real Life of a religion. Isn't that what's been said on this forum?

Ebor

I agree that there is no way to totally understand India and Hinduism from books, or even just from a few vists to India. But I really don't think you actually have to go to India to have any idea of what Hinduism is.

As I said, I think it would take years of study and expirence in India to fully understand Hinduism and the complex culture that goes along with it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 12:24:09 AM by Ben » Logged

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 12:19:52 AM »

whoops, my bad, I should have written "Have you read the *second* link Keble provided.  The one with a review of the book and some of it's flaws.

Ebor

Ah ok, that makes sense!

I am reading it right now.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 12:33:42 AM »

No not a lot, I really don't have time. Though I am not a complete idiot in those areas.

Are you in College now?  May I ask what your major field of interest and training is?

There is a middle ground between being a "complete idiot" and a master of a field that is quite broad. So one may have greater or lesser knowledge of a subject and it's details.

Ebor

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 01:07:58 AM »

Ben,

I can agree with your more nuanced version of book vs. experiential knowledge, now that you have redefined what you meant.  What I was reacting to was the countless streams of Western "seekers" I kept encountering in India--many of them who could recite all the nuances of Hindu philosophy--who then had complete shock upon learning that most of what they learned about in school about Hinuism was totally fake.  And all of the experiences I mentioned above I witnessed first hand. Sad

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 07:19:07 AM »

Why? Why is reading Cremo to learn about science like reading Jack Chick to learn about Roman Catholicism? I haven't read his book, but those who have, have said it isn't a bunch of anti-scientific Hare Krishna nonsense. And if you haven't read it, you shouldn't assume thats what it is.

Um, first of all, I don't assume that's what it is. You're guilty of a lot of intellectual sins here, starting from the fact that you haven't read the book either, but somehow your invocation of people who have read the book is better than my invocation of people who have read the book.

The truth is, mine is better. This Cremo person is not educated in the field, and anyway, the reviewers I've cited point out fundamental mistakes that he makes-- mistakes that I recognize as being mistakes because I myself know what's wrong with what he does. If you don't recognize them as mistakes, then you aren't educated enough to hold an opinion, and you ought to defer to those of us who understand why they are mistakes. I say this not to ridicule your education, because education is something that can be fixed. But I'm sorry: your authority in this dispute is inferior to mine, because I understand the problems, and you're reduced to a lot of arrogant special pleading about how you can heed a Hare Krishnan man-in-the-street, but you don't have to heed anyone who understands scientific discourse well enough to see that this Cremo person's writings stand outside of it.

Also, as to your assertion that I need to read the actual book: I don't have any such obligation. I have neither the money or the time to read every good book in the world, much less all the tripe. The reviews give a sufficiently good picture of the book for me to recognize it as tripe, and my time and money are too valuable-- which is to say, have any value at all-- to bother any further with it. The only reason I'm bothering this much is out of the apparently misguided hope that I can shake you out of your (to my mind) pseudo-intellectual complacency. You should be contemplating how you came to ally yourself with a junk book written by an adherent of  a junk religion (and in its apparent defense) which you yourself utterly reject!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 07:21:18 AM by Keble » Logged
kaushal

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »

How can you say that when you have not encountered all the Hindu sects and schools?

Studying Hinduism from home is like reading books on dentistry without actually ever looking into a patients mouth. You cannot have sufficient idea as to waht teeth look like and what is to be done unless you actually have hands on experience. One cannot know enough to formulate a view of Hindus or the Hare Krishnas just by reading all the Hindu scriptures and having an idea of the different sects. It would be like someone knowing enough about Christianity by merely reading the Gospels and never have seen how much more there is to it. Hinduism is vast and encompasses a lot more than the Hare Krishnas or the bizarre stuff like drinking cow piss. Just like in every religion, Hinduism has its share of radicals and fanatics. The Hare Krishnas are the ones YOU know better than any other sect but you cannot have an idea of whether they are sane or not unless you know what all the others believe and do.

-kaushal

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 08:57:20 PM »

What I was reacting to was the countless streams of Western "seekers" I kept encountering in India--many of them who could recite all the nuances of Hindu philosophy--who then had complete shock upon learning that most of what they learned about in school about Hinuism was totally fake.

I totally know what you are talking about, and I agree. Often the Hinduism that is presented to Westerners is some beautiful, rich, mystical, united, ancient path to enlightenment, free from anything too weird or gross. However, when one encounters the real Hinduism, and all of its vast and diverse beliefs and practices, this facade created in the west is quicly shattered. I personally know many who encountered Hinduism in America and had a genuine interest, but after a few months in India really began to rethink their conviction.

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 09:07:27 PM »

How can you say that when you have not encountered all the Hindu sects and schools?

Studying Hinduism from home is like reading books on dentistry without actually ever looking into a patients mouth. You cannot have sufficient idea as to waht teeth look like and what is to be done unless you actually have hands on experience. One cannot know enough to formulate a view of Hindus or the Hare Krishnas just by reading all the Hindu scriptures and having an idea of the different sects. It would be like someone knowing enough about Christianity by merely reading the Gospels and never have seen how much more there is to it. Hinduism is vast and encompasses a lot more than the Hare Krishnas or the bizarre stuff like drinking cow piss. Just like in every religion, Hinduism has its share of radicals and fanatics. The Hare Krishnas are the ones YOU know better than any other sect but you cannot have an idea of whether they are sane or not unless you know what all the others believe and do.

-kaushal

You are absolutely right, I do not know all of the sects and schools of Hinduism. And as I said I think it would take anyone years in India and great deal of study to accomplish such a task.

John Noss wrote in his book Man's Religions, Hinduism "means so many different things. It attracts so many kinds of minds. It extends a promise of ultimate treasure to so great a variety of seekers of salvation. Among the religions of the world it protrudes its aging, amorphous bulk like an oriental pedlar's bag full of agreeable and sometimes odd surprises. Certainly it is a religion that can claim to have expressed almost every possible variety of religious expirence"

Though I usually don't agree with a lot of what Noss has written, I totally agree with what I just quoted above. Hinduism is so diverse and really has embraced every possible variety of religious expirence, and for that reason it would be quite difficult to fully understand Hinduism, and to know all of it's various sects and schools.

So, I won't deny that the Hare Krishnas are the ones I know the best, but they aren't the only Hindu sect or school that I have personally encountered, and surely they won't be the last, but thus fair they are certainly the most sain of all the Hindu sects and schools that I have encountered.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2004, 09:40:12 PM »

Just a thought:  This book is anti-evolution.  But it does not fit with the anti-evolution of the more commonly stated variety mentioned in the "Young Earth" thread since it maintains:

"Forbidden Archeology: The Hidden History of the Human Race presents a representative sample of this anomalous evidence suggesting that humans have been on the earth for millions of years, ,just as the ancient Sanskrit writings of the Vedic literatures describe. The Vedic histories inform us that humans have existed since the beginning of the day of Brahma, about 2 billion years ago." (emphasis added)

This is found here: http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/ click on "A Challenge to Darwinism" (it has frames)

This would not fit, it would seem with the Christian-based anti-evolution theories since they would have the Earth and all Creation to be *much* younger then 2 Billion years.

So this tome does have a religious basis.

Ebor

nilus
A Finlander

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2004, 06:11:23 PM »

I own and have read the entire book, very interesting.  The orthodox view is challenged a great deal, and I would think it is of interest.  There is stuff that orthodox science does not want to deal with.
Nilus

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2004, 02:27:12 PM »

Maybe "orthodox science' does not want to deal with it because it already *has*.  Or that the "challenges" are, in fact, not serious challenges.

Ebor

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »

I was recently chatting with a Hare Krishna friend of mine on the topic of evolution. He firmly rejects the theory of evolution, and reccomended a book that does the same. "Forbidden Archeology" by Michael Cremo. I guess there have been two sequels to this book, and it has caused some controversy amoung the scientific community. I was curious and did a little research and it is about 1000 pages! I am told that this book, with paleontological and archeological evidence, disproves the theory of evolution.  I am curious to know if any of you have read it. I also happen to have found out it is by a Hare Krishna devotee, though that book is purely scientific, I guess it has been attacked because the author is active in the Hare Krishna community. Anyway just wondering if any of you know anything about the book, or its sequels.
Until 30 November, you can get a free e-book copy of Cremo's book (or related books) from Torchlight.com.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:56:55 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42:47 PM »

Woah.. talk about a blast from the past... Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: