Author Topic: Word of the day  (Read 38481 times)

Offline IoanC

• Archon
Re: Word of the day
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2013, 06:15:02 AM »
in·sip·id

1.without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid: an insipid personality.
2.without sufficient taste to be pleasing, as food or drink; bland: a rather insipid soup.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »
in·sip·id

1.without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid: an insipid personality.
2.without sufficient taste to be pleasing, as food or drink; bland: a rather insipid soup.

Excellent description of Osho's "spirituality."
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
in·sip·id

Another Osho hater. To the contrary, most of those who proudly consider themselves Orthodox are actually devoid of any spirituality. In other words, insipid, boring, even emotionally unstable and abusive, especially towards those who aren't as "good" as them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:02:30 AM by IoanC »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »
gladden

to make or become glad or joyful
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »
gladden

to make or become glad or joyful

Hell, no! That's stuff Osho would say.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »
in·sip·id

Another Osho hater. To the contrary, most of those who proudly consider themselves Orthodox are actually devoid of any spirituality. In other words, insipid, boring, even emotionally unstable and abusive, especially towards those who aren't as "good" as them.

Here's another quote from him to stick in your signature: "if a child is born deaf, dumb, and we cannot do anything, and the parents are willing, the child should be put to eternal sleep."
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
in·sip·id

Here's another quote from him to stick in your signature: "if a child is born deaf, dumb, and we cannot do anything, and the parents are willing, the child should be put to eternal sleep."

Have you heard some of the stuff the saints did or said during their lives? Put hate aside and you'll become wise.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »
in·sip·id

Have you heard some of the stuff the saints did or said during their lives? Put hate aside and you'll become wise.

It sounds like you're already wise enough for two people.
- Berdyaev

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
in·sip·id

That's your perception. I am sure there are tons of people laughing their heads of off, they just don't bother to post anything.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
in·sip·id

That's your perception. I am sure there are tons of people laughing their heads of off, they just don't bother to post anything.

The light of wisdom emanating from a single post of yours illuminates numberless worlds and liberates countless sentient beings.
- Berdyaev

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
in·sip·id

The light of wisdom emanating from a single post of yours illuminates numberless worlds and liberates countless sentient beings.

Thank you! In all honesty, I believe you are right.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
al·le·go·ry 

a. The representation of abstract ideas or principles by characters, figures, or events in narrative, dramatic, or pictorial form.
b. A story, picture, or play employing such representation. John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress and Herman Melville's Moby Dick are allegories.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
casuistry

specious, deceptive, or oversubtle reasoning, especially in questions of morality; fallacious or dishonest application of general principles; sophistry
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
casuistry

specious, deceptive, or oversubtle reasoning, especially in questions of morality; fallacious or dishonest application of general principles; sophistry

This is not a virtue?!

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
Pithecoid: 1. (adjective) Resembling or relating to the apes, especially the higher apes; apelike. 2. (noun) An ape, especially a higher ape.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:13:11 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »

so·ber

1.not intoxicated or drunk.
2.habitually temperate, especially in the use of liquor.
3.quiet or sedate in demeanor, as persons.
4.marked by seriousness, gravity, solemnity, etc., as of demeanor, speech, etc.: a sober occasion. (I particularly think this is an important, but forgotten aspect of sobriety).
5.subdued in tone, as color; not gay or showy, as clothes.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
insensate

lacking sensation or awareness; lacking sensibility; unfeeling

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »
facility

something that permits the easier performance of an action, course of conduct, etc.; readiness or ease due to skill, aptitude, or practice; ready compliance; an easy-flowing manner; the quality of being easily or conveniently done or performed; Goldeneye level

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
djamming

[definition unknown]

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2014, 04:35:02 AM »
animadversion

an unfavorable or censorious comment; the act of criticizing

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2014, 06:37:21 AM »
POGONOPHOBIA:

Fear of beards, a phobia endemic among liberal 'Orthodox'.  ;D

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2014, 06:59:10 AM »
POGONOPHOBIA:

lol Not just Orthodox have that fear.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
POGONOPHOBIA:

lol Not just Orthodox have that fear.

True, the BBC, political parties among others.  ::)

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
Allegator - Someone who alleges.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:50:17 AM by IoanC »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
pistic: from ancient Greek πίστις faith
(adj.) Relating to faith or trust rather than reason
(noun) A person whose belief is based on faith
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:39:55 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
pri·mate 

1. (prmt) A mammal of the order Primates, which includes the anthropoids and prosimians, characterized by refined development of the hands and feet, a shortened snout, and a large brain.
2. A bishop of highest rank in a province or country.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »
Roucoulement, n.
Pronunciation:  Brit. /ˈruːkuːlmɒ̃/ , U.S. /ˈruˌkulmən(t)/ Etymology:  < French roucoulement(1611 in Cotgrave) < roucouler + -ment
A soft cooing or murmuring noise, spec. the characteristic sound made by a dove or pigeon

Professor Pigeon
http://youtu.be/cN1EiJr0lDE
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »
flummox

perplex greatly; bewilder

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/eupeptic

eupeptic
Line breaks: eu|pep¦tic
Pronunciation: /juːˈpɛptɪk

/
adjective

relating to or having good digestion or a consequent air of healthy good spirits.
    More example sentences

Origin

late 17th century (in the sense 'helping digestion'): from Greek eupeptos, from eu 'well, easily' + peptein 'to digest'.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2014, 11:16:14 PM »
incense

to cause to be extremely angry; infuriate

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
incense

an aromatic substance, such as wood or a gum, that is burned to produce a pleasant odor; a pleasant smell

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »

mo·ron
[mawr-on, mohr-] Show IPA
noun
1. Informal. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment: I wonder why they elected that narrow-minded moron to Congress.
2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; now considered offensive) a person of borderline intelligence in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

3. (Ioan's addition to the dictionary) A word that saves souls.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
charlatanry

fraudulent or deceptive claims regarding skills or knowledge; quackery
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:37:22 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »
snow/snō/
noun
noun: snow1. atmospheric water vapor frozen into ice crystals and falling in light white flakes or lying on the ground as a white layer.
"we were trudging through deep snow"
2. something that resembles snow in color or texture, in particular.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
muckety-muck

a person of great importance or self-importance

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
dord

Dord is a notable error in lexicography, an accidental creation, or ghost word, of the G. and C. Merriam Company's staff included in the second (1934) edition of its New International Dictionary, in which the term is defined as "density"...

(Wiki)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
mondegreen
Line breaks: mon|de|green
Pronunciation: /ˈmɒndəgriːn

/
noun

a misunderstood or misinterpreted word or phrase resulting from a mishearing of the lyrics of a song.
    More example sentences

Origin

1950s: from Lady Mondegreen, a misinterpretation of the phrase laid him on the green, from the traditional ballad ‘The Bonny Earl of Murray’.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mondegreen
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
gird

to encircle or bind with a belt or band; to surround; enclose; hem in; to prepare (oneself) for action

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2014, 04:32:07 AM »
ingress

the act of going in or entering; the right to enter; a means or place of entering

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
pish posh

nonsense

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
pish posh

nonsense

Psst, just between you and me, not all P words have vowels. And don't say Pshaw, I know you want to right now. Ease into this, be mellow, be calm, be SoCal like you were born to be, don't reject your destiny. Anakin was your father for God's sake.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
dependless

not depending on

(Probably not a real word. Though since it's being used I guess it is a real word.)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
dependless

not depending on

(Probably not a real word. Though since it's being used I guess it is a real word.)

This reminds me. A few weeks ago I was going to offer:

Protoprognosticators

Mothers

Source: Ersatzian University Press, "Useful English Terms and Phrases".

I am guessing that Ersatzian University is in Armenia or thereabouts.

I wrote up a bunch of examples of its usage, but I seem to have lost it in the meantime. Darn!

If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »
Well if you find them by all means post them!  8)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
frigidity

the state or condition of being frigid