Author Topic: Mexican Restaurant  (Read 680 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
Mexican Restaurant
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »
How does everyone review a Mexican restaurant?

This is a question that is open to anyone who has ever eaten at a Mexican Restaurant.

I purchased a skirt steak, and it was chewy if it was sliced one way, but not if it was sliced another.

The best I could come up with was the beans and rice I was served. The beans were a re-fried black beans, and the rice was okay.

I ordered a skirt-steak, and it was exactly what I expected: a skirt steak. It was fine. That, plus the nice sides, I'm inclined to rate it a 4.5.

Too many options. There were too many options in the Entree section. It lost 1/2 of a point.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:59:53 PM by mcarmichael »
Sun Tzu said:
This is war.
It is the most important skill in the nation.
It is the basis of life and death.
It is the path (tao) of survival or destruction.
You must know it well.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Mexican Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »
I value them according to their nacho dressing. I love how these inferior Hispanics have granted us so much awesome food. (Brazilian sarcasm)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:51:41 PM by RaphaCam »
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:20 AM »
Consult your spiritual father.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »
Wait, we're supposed to review them? As long as the food has taste is my metric. One restaurant literally had just smoke and mirrors, I don't think they seasoned anything... or at least anything they brought out to me.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
Honestly as long as they have nice corn tortillas, queso fresco, and maybe al pastor pork, I don't complain about what else is there. Ideally the pozole will be served authentically (with human flesh) but that's hard to come by nowadays.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Honestly as long as they have nice corn tortillas, queso fresco, and maybe al pastor pork, I don't complain about what else is there. Ideally the pozole will be served authentically (with human flesh) but that's hard to come by nowadays.
You can always consult your local sicario to buy some authentic pozole.
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Mexican food is big in South America?  I hear people outside North America don't really know what Mexican food is, and if they do it's that fake Mexican food that liters places like suburban Ohio where you get ortega tacos in a hard shell and sugary margaritas.

Mexican seafood is fantastic, I think it's different enough from Brazilian seafood if memory serves me correctly. Though  It's been awhile since I've had South American seafood, so my memory is hazy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:00:19 PM by William T »
Wash yourselves and ye shall be clean; put away the wicked ways from your souls before Mine eyes; cease to do evil; learn to do well. Seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, consider the fatherless, and plead for the widow. Come then, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: Though your sins be as scarlet, I will make them white as snow; and though they be red like crimson, I will make them white as wool

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »
There are a couple of Mexican restaurants here, but just like there are Arab or German restaurants, it's unfortunately not as a fever as it is in the US, where you can buy burritos anywhere. There are very few things of Brazilian culinary I actually like, but I eat rice, black beans, red meat, farofa and aipim regularly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:57:44 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
Mexican food is big in South America?  I hear people outside North America don't really know what Mexican food is, and if they do it's that fake Mexican food that liters places like suburban Ohio where you get ortega tacos in a hard shell and sugary margaritas.

Mexican seafood is fantastic, I think it's different enough from Brazilian seafood if memory serves me correctly. Though  It's been awhile since I've had South American seafood, so my memory is hazy.

Real Mexican? I've had real and Americanized. I'd go for either, I am not picky. I like hard corn and the soft corn tortillas. Lettuce or cilantro.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
Mexican food is overrated.  Almost any other Latin cuisine is better.  I am partial to Puerto Rican food but am quite happy with others. 
I'm making a firm decision to stay with the Orthodox Church.

My point is you should try to fixate on something else. I suggest Christ.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Mexican food is overrated.  Almost any other Latin cuisine is better.  I am partial to Puerto Rican food but am quite happy with others.   Let me just say that if Rachel Weisz was Puerto Rican and could cook well, I would straight up murder Daniel Craig.  Well, I'd do it anyway, but at least there'd be alcapurrias on the upside.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »
There are a couple of Mexican restaurants here, but just like there are Arab or German restaurants, it's unfortunately not as a fever as it is in the US, where you can buy burritos anywhere.
A lot of the US Southwest used to be part of Mexico.

Before the Europeans arrived, Mexican Indians had a major cultural influence in the US Southwest and in the Mississippi valley (eg. the Mound Culture and introduction of maize).
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »
But these parts from Mexico were mostly Amerindian and vastly uninhabited, weren't they? I bet recent Mexican immigration and their awesome taste for spices was what made them so popular. I have a lot of curiosity for Indian food due to all the spice, I'm moving near to one, which is not vegan, fortunately. These stupid hippies make all Indian restaurants be vegan.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 11:29:02 PM »
These stupid hippies make all Indian restaurants be vegan.
I have known a lot of Indian restaurants in the US (city and rural) and very few if any were vegan.
I can only think of one, and it could have been vegetarian.

It's common for them to exclude pork or beef though (eg. if owner is Pakistani Muslim or from certain Hindu sects).
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 11:39:20 PM »
I can't rate a Mexican restaurant in an unbiased manner; I was raised by Hispanic grandmother and had home cooked Mexican food most nights of the week.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 11:45:58 PM »
But these parts from Mexico were mostly Amerindian and vastly uninhabited, weren't they?
California, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada.
Not sure how much Spanish settlement was there, but it wasn't nothing. One settlement was even made by Spanish at the very end of the 16th c. in the north of New Mexico, which is cool. That is before Jamestown and Plymouth, FYI.

Here is Mexico in 1824:

Here is the Mexican Cession of 1848:

So you are looking at about 250 years of Spanish settlement in New Mexico.

Also, when you talk about areas "mostly Amerindian", remember that those Amerindians had already received a major cultural impact from the Mexican Amerindians for centuries.

If I show you this photo, can you tell if it looks like Mexico or the US Southwest:

INDIAN PUEBLO LAGUNA VILLAGE. LAGUNA, NEW MEXICO

We are talking about a region of the US with alot of Mexican influence, before Columbus' time, after the Spanish came in the end of the 16th c. up to the mid 19th c., and since then there has been a lot of relations with Mexicans due to the border being close by.

So by now there is a native US style of cuisine called Tex/Mex.

It's kind of like Pizza and Spaghetti, in how those are called "Italian American". The food culture immigrated and got naturalized.

In Eastern Europe, they don't understand how to do Mexican food like Americans and Mexicans do. One Mexican place in E. Europe I went to uses cilantro instead of lettuce and tomato sauce instead of salsa.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:50:38 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »
I have known a lot of Indian restaurants in the US (city and rural) and very few if any were vegan.

It's common for them to exclude pork or beef though (eg. if owner is Pakistani Muslim or from certain Hindu sects).

It's not hard at all to find a vegan Indian restaurant if the local Indian population is big enough to ensure demand. 
I'm making a firm decision to stay with the Orthodox Church.

My point is you should try to fixate on something else. I suggest Christ.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 11:55:05 PM »
I'm talking more about my own experience with Indian restaurants, here they're usually vegan. I'll look more into the history of this chunk of the US, sounds interesting. Funny how the US has so many distinct origins but now it's so vastly English-speaking and Protestant besides first generations immigrants.

It's not hard at all to find a vegan Indian restaurant if the local Indian population is big enough to ensure demand. 
We don't really have Indians here, I think it's more about hippies who find India and Veganism simultaneously trendy.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 11:56:23 PM »
I had trouble finding an authentic Indian pure vegan restaurant in my major city by running a quick google search.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 11:58:55 PM »
Imagine if ethnic restaurants started to get trendy and go vegan. We'd have Japanese chefs making soy sushi and once respectable Argentinian houses grilling tofu churrasco. The mere thought makes me want to vomit.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:00:03 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 12:00:45 AM »
Mexican food is overrated.  Almost any other Latin cuisine is better.  I am partial to Puerto Rican food but am quite happy with others.

I don't know, I would rather have Mexican food than El Salvadorean.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 12:21:04 AM »
I'll look more into the history of this chunk of the US, sounds interesting. Funny how the US has so many distinct origins but now it's so vastly English-speaking and Protestant besides first generations immigrants.
Due to acquiring the SW and having Mexico on the border, there is a major Spanish/Hispanic impact on the US culture. It must be the most common second language in the US and in US schools. Americans learning Spanish is probably comparable to East Europeans learning English in the 1990's. Me, my mother, and brother all learned it, and he and I sometimes talked it as a kind of little secret language between us when we want to talk in code.

Los Angeles' population in 1840 was 3,330. Santa Fe was the capitol of New Mexico and in 1850 its population was 4,846.

That sounds very tiny, right? That's by today's standards.
Back in 1850, the capitol of what was to become the Confederacy, Richmond VA, had 27,570 people.

So Santa Fe was like a small city in those days. Nowadays, it would be only like a regular town.
Nowadays LA is one of the largest cities in the US with 4 million people. L.A. has a TON of hispanic culture. Some of that is from recent hispanic immigration in the last 50 years.

The US is practically all English speaking because it needed a common language to work successfully. The first and second generation people in the immigrant cultures wanted very much to learn English instead of speaking Polish, Irish, or Italian. It was kind of a no brainer for them and their children.

The US is probably 50-70% Protestant in heritage too, because it has lots of English, Scots, Dutch, and Germans. The rest is usually Catholic.

The basic origin is a set of English colonies. After independence they took over the Spanish, Russian, and French colonies in today's territory of the US, but those did not have much settlement population, you are right. Those areas were "vastly uninhabited" by other Euros compared to today.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:23:35 AM by rakovsky »

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 12:22:15 AM »
Imagine if ethnic restaurants started to get trendy and go vegan. We'd have Japanese chefs making soy sushi and once respectable Argentinian houses grilling tofu churrasco.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 12:33:31 AM »
I bet recent Mexican immigration and their awesome taste for spices was what made them so popular.

The Southwest of the US has a very large and longstanding hispanic influence. For example, L.A. is one of the country's largest cities:
The 1990 United States Census and 2000 United States Census found that non-Hispanic whites were becoming a minority in Los Angeles. Estimates for the 2010 United States Census results find Latinos to be approximately half (47-49%) of the city's population, growing from 40% in 2000 and 30-35% in 1990 census.
~US Demographics for L.A. , Wikipedia.

You'll want to read up on "Tex-Mex" Cuisine and "Cuisine of the Southwestern United States" AKA "Southwest" regional cuisine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex
cuisine that would come to be called Tex-Mex actually originated with Tejanos (Texans of Spanish descent) as a mix of native Mexican and Spanish foods when Texas was part of New Spain and later Mexico.

From the South Texas region between San Antonio, the Rio Grande Valley and El Paso, this cuisine has had little variation, and from earliest times has always been influenced by the cooking in the neighboring northern states of Mexico. The ranching culture of South Texas and Northern Mexico straddles both sides of the border. A taste for cabrito (kid goat), barbacoa de cabeza (barbecued beef heads), carne seca (dried beef), and other products of cattle culture is common on both sides of the Rio Grande. In the 20th century, Tex-Mex took on such Americanized elements as yellow cheese, as goods from the United States became cheap and readily available.

In much of Texas, the cooking styles on both sides of the U.S. - Mexico border were the same until a period after the U.S. Civil War. With the railroads, American ingredients and cooking appliances became common on the U.S. side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Southwestern_United_States

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:38:18 AM by rakovsky »

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:38 AM »
I have been eating this stuff since I was a little kid, Rapha.

Don't deprive me of my native culture.   

;) ;D :) :angel: :laugh:

Typical school lunch for us for decades.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:54:51 AM by rakovsky »

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »
How come you don't know about Zorro, Rapha?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:49:12 AM by rakovsky »

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 01:36:23 AM »

House in Santa Fe built in 1200 by Amerindians

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, founded 1554

El Camino Real, built 1581

San Juan Pueblo, NM, founded 1598

Jamestown, Virginia founded as the first successful English colony in the US, 1607

Santa Fe, NM, founded same year, 1607

Santa Fe, palace of the Governors, built 1610
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:40:38 AM by rakovsky »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 02:58:35 AM »

You should see the stuff they offer around here...
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »
This is the nearest I have to a culture:

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 06:55:17 AM »
If you're a kitchen/grill chef who knows Mexican food.

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
I value them according to their nacho dressing. I love how these inferior Hispanics have granted us so much awesome food. (Brazilian sarcasm)
I may be a white Hispanic-American.But I'm not really fond of Latin American food. I only like the White rice with chicken and nachos, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:23:38 PM by TaiKamiya720 »

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »
This is the nearest I have to a culture:
Rapha,
I asked my Dad about how old Southwest cuisine is in the US because of our discussion.
He grew up in a WASP (Anglo Protestant) household during WWII in the Northeast US suburbs and said his Mom made Chili con Carne.

Hormel and Campbells are pretty standard US Brands, maybe comparable to Coca Cola and Pepsi brands. What I want to say is that the Southwest cuisine has been classic in the US for a long time.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:12:58 PM by rakovsky »