Author Topic: "23 and Me" -- Testing Your Genetic Heritage, and More  (Read 249 times)

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
  • "Headless" is not a big deal, because Jesus IS.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: G.O.A. of N. America
"23 and Me" -- Testing Your Genetic Heritage, and More
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
Some people have read my other thread about "Celebrating 50 pounds of weight loss" recently. Thank you for all the congratulations, especially as I am dealing with the difficult issue in my family of my mother beginning to fade out of this earthy life, and all of life's trials and triumphs.

Today I am doing as many of my weight loss buddies did on the other forum I go to, and I am sending away a "23 and Me" package, for genetic testing of my ancestry,  health strengths and weaknesses. It is a very exciting prospect especially at a time when I realize we will probably never get a genetic sample from my mom (saliva) but that at least half of what she has passed on to me will suffice as a "window" looking into her side of the family's heredity. It is highly probable that my sister (who lives a reclusive life) will not do such a test, either, so I look forward to someday passing on this information to my children to look back upon (whether they choose to do their own reports or not.)

Some of my buddies who have gotten their 23 and Me reports back have had to wait 9 weeks for the completion of the report, but said that it was well worth it. As testing proceeds along all genetic markers, more and more information arrives to your registered online account with 23 and Me.

I am not an affiliate of 23 and Me, but I am looking forward to a tremendous amount of discovery this Lenten Season, in more ways than one.  :)
Beauty Old yet ever New;
Eternal Voice and inward Word.
But above all things -- Truth beareth away the Victory.
(Whitman)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
Re: "23 and Me" -- Testing Your Genetic Heritage, and More
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

I would encourage people to research a bit before they use 23 and me simply because by using their services everyone has to click a box at checkout that gives them the right to use your dna, it becomes part of their property.

23 and me is now entering into pharmaceutical development since they own a wealth of dna data.

Then there was the designer baby scandal.

If a person isn't comfortable signing off right to privacy of their dna, there is Family Finder who will do the test, then you can load your profile into another site that will read your genetic propensity for disease, well as much as we know at this time.

I recommend Roberta Estes blog titled "DNA Explained".  She has written at length about the various tests, the companies, and their limitations.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
nods....

since its not a full genomic sequencing...they cannot clone me...which is really to be avoided!

Other than that, I wanted health info, and helping with future research is a part of that, that i did not mind participating in.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

I would encourage people to research a bit before they use 23 and me simply because by using their services everyone has to click a box at checkout that gives them the right to use your dna, it becomes part of their property.

23 and me is now entering into pharmaceutical development since they own a wealth of dna data.

If a person isn't comfortable signing off right to privacy of their dna, there is Family Finder who will do the test, then you can load your profile into another site that will read your genetic propensity for disease, well as much as we know at this time.

I recommend Roberta Estes blog titled "DNA Explained".  She has written at length about the various tests, the companies, and their limitations.

23 and Me also only keeps your specimen at their facility for a length of 1- 10 years, which is very helpful to know.
They do inform you that by registering and sending in your specimen, they have the capacity to send you surveys, and so forth; however, I am doing this because my own doctor has designed software to utilize the information from 23 and Me into his own practise which is specializing in genetic regeneration through nutrition - not manipulation of genetic material. I put my faith in God that I am not part of a designer baby scandal, but instead, if there's some rarity or irregularity, I will be part of something that will enable further study of genetic algorithms.

But then again, I don't think at all that I will be that "special" for that kind of study.

The Incorporeal Powers, of course, are exempt from such kinds of testing  ;) as they are already perfect, and Bodiless.
The Theotokos, too, is exempt......because she's already assumed into the Heaven of Heavens......(must be a wonderful feeling to be so whole.)

However.......I wonder what would happen in the case of the Biblical Nepthalim, if they were still walking around and could give a saliva sample  ::)
...and, if Elijah comes back.........pardon if I'm doing some Apocryphal messing with people's heads! ....it would turn into something off the cover of a Sci - Fi Novel, huh.  ;D And worse than a designer baby scandal.

But I'm glad the good Angelic powers are out there, every day,  to influence the thoughts of researchers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:49:12 PM by Seraffa »
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »
Took a DNA test with the Psychiatrist.

Offline Seraffa

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
Took a DNA test with the Psychiatrist.

I would think it's useful for that kind of stuff! I've noticed behavioral problems on my maternal side of the family pointing back to the presence of gluten in foods. Did the psych prefer a particular DNA company?
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:28 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

23 and Me also only keeps your specimen at their facility for a length of 1- 10 years, which is very helpful to know.
They do inform you that by registering and sending in your specimen, they have the capacity to send you surveys, and so forth; however, I am doing this because my own doctor has designed software to utilize the information from 23 and Me into his own practise which is specializing in genetic regeneration through nutrition - not manipulation of genetic material. I put my faith in God that I am not part of a designer baby scandal, but instead, if there's some rarity or irregularity, I will be part of something that will enable further study of genetic algorithms.

But then again, I don't think at all that I will be that "special" for that kind of study.

The Incorporeal Powers, of course, are exempt from such kinds of testing  ;) as they are already perfect, and Bodiless.
The Theotokos, too, is exempt......because she's already assumed into the Heaven of Heavens......(must be a wonderful feeling to be so whole.)

However.......I wonder what would happen in the case of the Biblical Nepthalim, if they were still walking around and could give a saliva sample  ::)
...and, if Elijah comes back.........pardon if I'm doing some Apocryphal messing with people's heads! ....it would turn into something off the cover of a Sci - Fi Novel, huh.  ;D And worse than a designer baby scandal.

But I'm glad the good Angelic powers are out there, every day,  to influence the thoughts of researchers.

Yes, thank God for the good Angelic powers.

Sorry my reply earlier was short.  I was typing from a phone during a work break, and getting marmalade all over everything.

I hope you get some useful information from your testing. 

I was just making a general statement that there really is more to it than just signing up with one of these companies, the big ones being:

Ancestry.com
23andMe
FamilyTreeDNA

You can have your autosomal DNA profiled, and different companies have differing amounts of DNA they actually process (sorry my geneticist jargon is lacking here).  And every single site might give you a differing haplogroup profile.  It's not so cut and dry. 

I wasn't trying to convey that 23andMe is trying to create Frankenstein, just that there may be more to joining these places than meets the eye. 

You don't know how your information will be sold or used down the road.  Mergers happen all the time, and even the FDA has had some interest in this topic, which is why 23andMe stopped doing the health profiling for awhile.

People can also have an autosomal test done at Family Tree and then enter into Promothease, which as I understand it, the results are deleted right away.  You print them out or download (not sure which since I haven't done it yet).

There have been questions of morals and ethics since they were first starting to map the human genome. 

As I watch certain business trends, I see millions of R&D pharmaceutical money suddenly being poured into 23andMe, who are sitting on a gold mine of information, for which they charge every person for, and they capitalize on the other side using people's DNA to buy into the Big Pharma arena.   

I think the issue Roberta Estes has, in her excellent blog, is that Ancestry and 23andMe are a bit deceitful, and they don't give any option at all to completely opt out of their retention of your genetic information.

See her latest December 2015 blog on the recent shake up (again) at 23andMe:

Heads Up about the 23andMe Meltdown

You might want to have a read there because it sounds as though there is a significant risk that your information will not be available to you in the near future.  Lots of scandals with this company. 

I'm not an avid Science Fiction fan, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how insurance companies might reap a big profit by getting their hands on this type of information.  And stranger things have happened.

Just wanted to offer a word of caution, because I was just going to rush in and order a test, but then thought again.   A lot of Amazon reviews raved about Ancestry, but really it's just a kind of dumbed down results format that people find easier to navigate. 

It also depends on what a person is looking for.  Genealogists have different motivations than someone looking for health information, etc.

People who are looking for possible relative matches due to being removed from their family of origin may want to test with all the sites because they will get results from the site that also tested their relative (no guarantee of that happening). 

And then there is God.  We can chase health directives from doctors, but God will say how long we live in this life.  We are here to do a bit for God, to do our part, then hopefully return home. 
++++

Oh yeah, and to add, you can also have one company run your DNA then submit your results at Family Tree for a small fee to try to find genetic matches.

It's worth doing some research before jumping into it.

And I also read that the state of NY doesn't allow this testing.  That was in 2013.  Not sure what the state is doing now.  They would simply throw the tests out when they came through the mail apparently, which seems like breaking a Federal law or something.  Very strange.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:16:28 PM by Velsigne »

Offline Seraffa

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
23 and Me used to be much more approachable before The Powers That Be started directing what it could and couldn't disclose: it was a shame when it could not offer the same amount of health information as before, AND it was blatant that the price hike (no longer $99 but $199) was orchestrated by the people that took over it. Less information for us, more profits for the Orchestrators.

I think this is yet another reason why my Dr. (Dr. D'Adamo) has composed his software, to not only uncover what 23 and ME used to offer, but to build proper algorithyms for healting, AND have the information stored for the lifetime of HIS software (which he will never sell out the rights to anyone associated with the FDA or Big Pharma. Dr. D'Adamo actually has his own small pharmaceutical people that people are pooh-poohing right now, because they don't understand his research.)

As for whatever people do with some of my genetic information in the future: still, I am unmoved. I have no more control over it - say- than the people of Serbia had when their most prized relic's body (St. Saava) was completely taken and destroyed by infidels. Now that the technology is here, it doesn't have to mean I hide what is inside my body as if my body were inside Christ's Communion Cup, underneath a Sacramental cloth (although other Orthodox might wish to do this - for whatever reason.) That would be very backward of me.

If someone takes some knowledge about my body, however and goes about sinning with it -- I still live on, and am not the perpetrator of the sin. And if sin occurs - God always has a way of transforming it that we do not know about. Because we don't have the mind of God. He is Eternal and perfect, and knows exactly what will happen, so that righteousness can circumvent.

And then there is the doctrine of God overcoming Nature itself , when He so wills to do it.

I am counting on God to STILL not reveal all the answers there are within the Cosmos contained in the human body simply by genetic testing. Especially when scientists show up at the portrait of a weeping icon, and cannot find the source of the myrrh that flows out of it.

Maybe these are not the responses you wanted from me, but honestly with my lifestyle, my age, and the Gospel command to "redeem the time" -- I really don't have the interest or energy to begin wondering what nefarious things will come to pass in the future.

Today's fight is simple enough, such as the fight against vaccines that kill people, sterilize people, and cause Autism in children whose families have never had histories of autism.
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)

Offline Seraffa

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 12:25:06 AM »

And I also read that the state of NY doesn't allow this testing.  That was in 2013.  Not sure what the state is doing now.  They would simply throw the tests out when they came through the mail apparently, which seems like breaking a Federal law or something.  Very strange.

I have a 73 year old buddy and her husband that took the testing in NY state about 12 months ago. They allow the testing. It's the shipment of the liquid saliva that they don't allow. My friend had to drive to the border of CT to a post office there to send off the sample.
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:35:35 AM »
23 and Me used to be much more approachable before The Powers That Be started directing what it could and couldn't disclose: it was a shame when it could not offer the same amount of health information as before, AND it was blatant that the price hike (no longer $99 but $199) was orchestrated by the people that took over it. Less information for us, more profits for the Orchestrators.

I think this is yet another reason why my Dr. (Dr. D'Adamo) has composed his software, to not only uncover what 23 and ME used to offer, but to build proper algorithyms for healting, AND have the information stored for the lifetime of HIS software (which he will never sell out the rights to anyone associated with the FDA or Big Pharma. Dr. D'Adamo actually has his own small pharmaceutical people that people are pooh-poohing right now, because they don't understand his research.)

As for whatever people do with some of my genetic information in the future: still, I am unmoved. I have no more control over it - say- than the people of Serbia had when their most prized relic's body (St. Saava) was completely taken and destroyed by infidels. Now that the technology is here, it doesn't have to mean I hide what is inside my body as if my body were inside Christ's Communion Cup, underneath a Sacramental cloth (although other Orthodox might wish to do this - for whatever reason.) That would be very backward of me.

If someone takes some knowledge about my body, however and goes about sinning with it -- I still live on, and am not the perpetrator of the sin. And if sin occurs - God always has a way of transforming it that we do not know about. Because we don't have the mind of God. He is Eternal and perfect, and knows exactly what will happen, so that righteousness can circumvent.

And then there is the doctrine of God overcoming Nature itself , when He so wills to do it.

I am counting on God to STILL not reveal all the answers there are within the Cosmos contained in the human body simply by genetic testing. Especially when scientists show up at the portrait of a weeping icon, and cannot find the source of the myrrh that flows out of it.

Maybe these are not the responses you wanted from me, but honestly with my lifestyle, my age, and the Gospel command to "redeem the time" -- I really don't have the interest or energy to begin wondering what nefarious things will come to pass in the future.

Today's fight is simple enough, such as the fight against vaccines that kill people, sterilize people, and cause Autism in children whose families have never had histories of autism.

Dear Seraffa

My apologies if I came across as attacking your decision to have genetic testing and to find good health the best way you can.

That was not my intention.  Rather, as this is a world wide public forum, I simply wanted to add a caveat or respectful comment to others who may wander across this thread that there are other options out there for genetic testing, and possibly the one with the biggest marketing strategy may not fit their needs.  For another example, some companies are limited to the United States, others have an international database to match DNA.

And I agree, we are pretty feeble at understanding the magnificence of this creation while living in these cramped down heavy clay suits. 

But still, God made us this way for a reason, so thank God!  With grace that clay suit becomes light, and it is very interesting to discover things. 

I have done one test, and I will get back to you if anything noteworthy happens!

May God bless you!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:36:09 AM by Velsigne »

Offline Seraffa

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
That would be quite interesting to share, and I would look forward to it!
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)