OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 02:00:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives Drinks to Soda  (Read 838 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »

Almond milk sucks.

Soy milk, regardless of the fad, is not good either.

Almond milk, properly prepared, is heavenly. Soy milk, on the other hand, is universally vile.

How do you properly prepare almond milk?

I'm not familiar with the fine points, but I know at least that the almonds need to be raw. Milk from toasted almonds (or other nuts) just tastes burnt. I also prefer it unsweetened, and with a little texture left in, rather than meticulously strained. (Why yes, I am picky!)

So you don't know what you meant by the hifalutin statement? Shocking.

Could you show me a company producing almond milk from toasted almonds? I've never heard of such and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, unless it was for hygienic reasons, in which certainly we would have it in the US, or for taste reasons, which also seems unlikely.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »

Could you show me a company producing almond milk from toasted almonds? I've never heard of such and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, unless it was for hygienic reasons, in which certainly we would have it in the US, or for taste reasons, which also seems unlikely.

Recipe for making almond milk at home:

Soak the almonds overnight or up to 2 days. ...
    Drain and rinse the almonds. ...
    Combine the almonds and water in a blender. ...
    Blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes. ...
    Strain the almonds. ...
    Press all the almond milk from the almond meal. ...
    Sweeten to taste. ...
    Refrigerate almond milk.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »

Strain the almonds. ...
    Sweeten to taste. ...
    Refrigerate almond milk.

I used to have to make it at a health food store. Really not sure what Arachne was going on about regarding almond milk like it is wine or beer.

Is there a reason you have made it? The only people I've known to use were crazy folks at health food places or those who think paying a ton more for "milk" makes sense during fasting. Is it used for baking, etc?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »

Almond milk sucks.

Soy milk, regardless of the fad, is not good either.

Almond milk, properly prepared, is heavenly. Soy milk, on the other hand, is universally vile.

How do you properly prepare almond milk?

I'm not familiar with the fine points, but I know at least that the almonds need to be raw. Milk from toasted almonds (or other nuts) just tastes burnt. I also prefer it unsweetened, and with a little texture left in, rather than meticulously strained. (Why yes, I am picky!)

You're so easily shocked, it's not even funny.

http://www.alpro.com/uk/almond?gclid=CLX8trO1gMACFfOhtAodNGsAtA
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:30:35 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 01:46:15 AM »

I was simply making the point that almond milk can be made at home, hence the possibility that some people might try to make it with toasted almonds.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 01:49:03 AM »

Lately, I have been drinking lots of soda. But usually, I don't drink much soda.

I usually drink hot tea or V8 juice instead of soda.

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:44 AM »

Get a stainless water bottle (stay away from plastic) put water and cut up some lemons and put those in. Lemons are cheap and you can't beat the taste of a real lemon.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 03:17:08 AM »

Lately, I have been drinking lots of soda. But usually, I don't drink much soda.

I usually drink hot tea or V8 juice instead of soda.

Be careful with V8, it is a sodium bomb (sodium can cause kidney stones, as well as tea, coffee and grapefruit juice) I've had kidney stones and it's nothing you'll ever want to experience.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 03:24:04 AM »

We make lemonade from scratch. I use half sugar, half flavored syrup (think the type of syrup one uses in coffee or italian soda that is made with sugar) to make all types of yummy lemonade. That minute maid canned stuff isn't all that great, and is way to sweet.

We started making our own sweet tea out of earl grey; it is yummy with milk. Smiley Cold brew coffee is also a wonderful thing to drink. Really it is best to drink as much water as you can.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:54 AM »

Strain the almonds. ...
    Sweeten to taste. ...
    Refrigerate almond milk.

I used to have to make it at a health food store. Really not sure what Arachne was going on about regarding almond milk like it is wine or beer.

Is there a reason you have made it? The only people I've known to use were crazy folks at health food places or those who think paying a ton more for "milk" makes sense during fasting. Is it used for baking, etc?

We use rice or almond milk on occasion in cereal and such. Vanilla coconut milk is lovely in tea. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:27:25 AM by Quinault » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 06:35:54 AM »

If I keep reading here, the only alternative left to me will be vodka, straight up.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Huh

You beat me to it.  laugh

Really? No drink, except possibly jenever, tastes worse than vodka. I'd rather be on a lemon tea diet than have to drink pure vodka.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:00:49 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »

If I keep reading here, the only alternative left to me will be vodka, straight up.

Really? No drink, except possibly jenever, tastes worse than vodka. I'd rather be on a lemon tea diet than drink pure vodka.

Are you drinking it out of the freezer, or at room temperature? If the latter, I agree with you completely. As I do for gin. Blech.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »

Various fruit juices, coffee and tea.

Something that is interesting is to mix natural juices with sparkling water for a soda effect. Just don't add sugar. To my taste, it worked better with grape juice, specially white grapes,  and lime juice.

And if anyone has any health concern about carbonated water:

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-drinking-carbonated-water-the-same-as-drinking-regular-water-2014-2
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:31:14 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »

Really? No drink, except possibly jenever, tastes worse than vodka. I'd rather be on a lemon tea diet than drink pure vodka.

Are you drinking it out of the freezer, or at room temperature? If the latter, I agree with you completely. As I do for gin. Blech.

What's wrong with gin?  I mean, yeah, it's kind of vile, but that just means you don't drink it so often that you actually have a stash of reserve booze.  It's the absynthe/whiskey that's the problem.  Once you drink it it's gone and you got to buy more.  But gin stays around so you can drink it with that orange juice in the fridge that might have gone bad but who cares because it's 50% gin!
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »

Various fruit juices, coffee and tea.

Something that is interesting is to mix natural juices with sparkling water for a soda effect. Just don't add sugar. To my taste, it worked better with grape juice, specially white grapes,  and lime juice.

And if anyone has any health concern about carbonated water:

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-drinking-carbonated-water-the-same-as-drinking-regular-water-2014-2

Oh, yes, lime juice in sparkling water is particularly refreshing!  Cheesy
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »

What's wrong with gin?  I mean, yeah, it's kind of vile, but that just means you don't drink it so often that you actually have a stash of reserve booze.  It's the absynthe/whiskey that's the problem.  Once you drink it it's gone and you got to buy more.  But gin stays around so you can drink it with that orange juice in the fridge that might have gone bad but who cares because it's 50% gin!

Gin is not vile, thankyouverymuch.   You all are just missing it's true potential.  It needs lemon. 

either in a gin and tonic with lemon, or my all time favorite drink, the White lady.  equal parts gin, lemon juice (please use real lemons or i cry!) and cointreau, shaken not stirred and voila.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »

drink mostly water, avoid anything with Splenda since it kills off your good intestinal flora:
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/1402/splenda-not-so-splendid.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291

Try Lemon Ginger Tea, it's good with honey:

Or a mango lassi or a cardamon lassi:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Cardamom-Lassi
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/mango-lassi-recipe/

My brother used to make Sun Tea in the summer, just get a big jar, fill it with water, add tea bags, put the cap on and set it the sun to brew.   

Don't drink the gin or vodka until you are 21....  Wink
littlepilgrim64

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »

I drink filtered water (have well water) mostly.  Will just squeeze some fresh lemon into it as a lemonaide alternative.  I also like homemade unsweet tea with lemon.  I have gotten used to no sweeteners. A friend of mine introduced me to water with lemon, cucumber, mint and ginger which is good too and I make that to switch things up a bit.

Try Lemon Ginger Tea, it's good with honey:

I'll have to look for this in the stores by me . . .looks good!
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »

Try watermelon water, too!   I made it before, but not from this recipe:
http://everydayroots.com/detox-drink-for-cleansing

liefern

Faith: Catholic exploring Orthodoxy with serious intent
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a selzer maker is a great addition to your beverage range. A drop of wine or fruit juice in a large cup of soda water is absolutely delicious, and gives you a little variety any time you want.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »

I like Kvass or Kambucha as soda alternatives...both are better if home made

(hi everybody, long time since my last post)

"Who touches, is also touched"
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »

I am currently drinking water with honey in it (warm up the water so the honey melts, drink hot or chilled)

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »

I like Kvass or Kambucha as soda alternatives...both are better if home made

(hi everybody, long time since my last post)

I like kvass.  Not bad when you get used to it.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: