Author Topic: A nerd ISIS  (Read 157 times)

Offline Sentinel34

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Washington State
A nerd ISIS
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »
http://wnep.com/2015/08/21/bullied-girl-gets-support-from-star-wars-fans/

The Mothers of those that bullied her are probably bible thumpers or white trailer trash.

Imagine if a bunch of people dressed as Stormtroopers and marched into an American Girl store and started being mean and rude to the little girls and their mothers.

The stormtroopers would call the guy on the right a Muslim or another mean word.

Not only that they steal or buy the dolls and video tape themselves decapitating the dolls like ISIS.

Imagine a group of fed up nerds who decide that they had enough and declare war on mainstream American culture and start a nerd version of ISIS.

These people also burn and destroy footballs.

Imagine a nerd ISIS.

I would also want a culture police that goes after parents who teach their children outdated ideals.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
Re: A nerd ISIS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:29:26 AM »
Ive actually met (online, on a fan forum, not in person; I do have a life) some members of the 501st legion who were militant atheists.  So I am not sure having Stormtroopers engaging in flash-mob violence is desirable in any sense.  As much as I admire Governor Tarkin for his leadership skills, General Veers for his consummate professionalism in battle, Captain Needa for his moral courage, and Admiral Piett for his grace and dignity under pressure, I hardly desire these Imperial officers to become the role models for American society in lieu of football players and Barbie dolls.

Because Tarkin was also an overconfident, genocidal sadist, Veers a brute, Needa, incompetent, and Piett, a snobbish jobsworth and most probably a racist.  And these are the relatively likeable high ranking Imperial officers.  Let us not even begin to discuss the moral calibre or lack thereof of the Emperor and Darth Vader.

So why anyone desires ISIS copycats based on anyone, especially the Empire, shocks me.  I mean, seriously, Sentinel, do you not grasp that ISIS was diabolical in nature, as was the fictional Galactic Empire?  (as impressive as it was militarily speaking)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:29:54 AM by wgw »
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
Thanks for reminding me that I've to much time on my hands.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:09:28 AM »
Isn't ISIS already a nerd ISIS? I mean, a bunch of dudes in Belgium or Australia read some stuff online or in a book and started having fantasies of reviving a medieval kingdom.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:29 AM »
Nerd violence has been on the rise and isn't something we should be joking about.  Where I live, a couple of bullied Star Wars enthusiasts shot up a local high school recently wearing stormtrooper uniforms.  They fired 236 rounds of ammunition but didn't hit a single person.  The only casualty was a red-shirted Trekkie.  Neither of the boys are being charged with his murder as he had stayed home that day.  They think he died of a seizure while arguing Kirk vs Piccard. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
Ive actually met (online, on a fan forum, not in person; I do have a life) some members of the 501st legion who were militant atheists.  So I am not sure having Stormtroopers engaging in flash-mob violence is desirable in any sense.  As much as I admire Governor Tarkin for his leadership skills, General Veers for his consummate professionalism in battle, Captain Needa for his moral courage, and Admiral Piett for his grace and dignity under pressure, I hardly desire these Imperial officers to become the role models for American society in lieu of football players and Barbie dolls.

Because Tarkin was also an overconfident, genocidal sadist, Veers a brute, Needa, incompetent, and Piett, a snobbish jobsworth and most probably a racist.  And these are the relatively likeable high ranking Imperial officers.  Let us not even begin to discuss the moral calibre or lack thereof of the Emperor and Darth Vader.

So why anyone desires ISIS copycats based on anyone, especially the Empire, shocks me.  I mean, seriously, Sentinel, do you not grasp that ISIS was diabolical in nature, as was the fictional Galactic Empire?  (as impressive as it was militarily speaking)
I met a football fan once who was a militant atheist. That is why I don't go to football games.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor