Author Topic: Discovery of Galileo’s long-lost letter shows he edited his heretical ideas  (Read 88 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Discovery of Galileo’s long-lost letter shows he edited his heretical ideas to fool the Inquisition

1613 Galileo writes a letter to his friend Benedetto Castelli, arguing against the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church that the Earth was the center of the universe. Copies of this letter are circulated.

7 February 1615 Dominican friar Niccolò Lorini forwards a copy of the letter to the Inquisition in Rome. This letter is quite inflammatory. For instance, Galileo wrote of certain propositions in the Bible as “false if one goes by the literal meaning of the words”.

16 February 1615 Galileo asks a friend, Piero Dini, to forward to Rome what Galileo claims to be a copy of his original letter; but actually, this is a version that Galileo himself edited, to make the letter sound less inflammatory. For instance, Galileo crossed through the word “false” in the quote above, and replaced it with “look different from the truth”.
[Galileo's] letter to Dini complains of the “wickedness and ignorance” of his enemies, and lays out his concern that the Inquisition “may be in part deceived by this fraud which is going around under the cloak of zeal and charity”.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Soooo, pretty soon there's going to be lot's of atheists saying "See! There IS a war between science and religion!"... and Robert Sungenis dislocating his shoulder from patting himself on the back for "calling it." Cool.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:33:39 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Galileo is not the first or last one person to revise a writing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:36:28 PM by Luke »