OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 11:25:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should I Replace My Odometer
No - 3 (75%)
Yes, if less than $75 - 1 (25%)
Yes, if less than $175 - 0 (0%)
Yes, even if it costs 6x KBB - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC.NET Sourcing My Life III: Broken Odometer  (Read 42 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« on: April 07, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »

Today after filling my gas tank, I reset my trip odometer and noticed about three miles later the odometer was no longer working. It was working just before I reset it as I was mentally anticipating how much gas it would take to fill my tank.

My car has successfully made it to the moon and is on its way back.

Coincidentally, I have an appointment in the morning with the most honest mechanic in town for something else. I am getting ready for an enormous trip and have been crazy busy, so I don't have to futz with the car at all.

So my question: Should I fix my broken odometer?

My mechanic will likely say not to, if costs more than $20 bucks, which it will if a gear broke, if just for the pain of dissembling the dash. (Will the dash rattle like crazy after they resemble it?)

I drive so little, I take the time rather milage approach to most maintenance. But I like knowing my MPG as an indicator of possible problems and some repairs on the car rely on the odometer working for their warranty.

I will keep this car till the frame rusts, gets crushed in an accident, or the engine becomes so exotic as to make replacing it impossible.

Also, I like keep stuff up on my car, even if they are old as sin, cause it helps me keep them longer and keep up other repairs. My own broken window syndrome.

So oc.net, opine! Vote and post your rationale!

Also, does anyone here know of an honest mechanic in the Pittsburgh area, if end up needing one there?

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: