Author Topic: Cows Kill?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
Cows Kill?
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:53:33 AM »
Livestock use 30 percent of the land surface of the planet, generate more greenhouse gasses than transport

I knew the part about the greenhouse gases, but livestock uses 30 percent of the land? I can't see how that'd be possible.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
Re: Cows Kill?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:43:25 AM »
Sounds like vegan propoganda to me!  :-\
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
SO what we need is a) reduction in production, and b) a surge in consumption, in order to counter the trend...

Steaks every day 'till lent ;)
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »

Steaks every day 'till lent ;)

Good luck getting that 'steak every day' requirement implemented at seminary... ::)

Is George still serving the 'rice on noodles on fettucine' specials in the cafeteria?  ;)
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »
Good luck getting that 'steak every day' requirement implemented at seminary... ::)

Is George still serving the 'rice on noodles on fettucine' specials in the cafeteria?  ;)

Don't remind me.... I'm still basking in the fantastic meals I've been served here at home!

How in Mor's good name
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:04:51 PM »
Just so you all know, I will gladly eat any extra steaks that others cannot get to. It's a hard burden, and my A-1 and Onion costs will be terrible, but I will not let our environment go to hell!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »
A true martyr for the Faith.

How in Mor's good name
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
Fr. Chris,

The meat-less pasticio has had a newfound resurrection.  The pasta is still a staple, but he's mixing in a lot of spanakopita and tiropita in the mix too.  Its looks different, but its the same as always. 

As for the original topic,

It kind of makes sense, I mean think about India.  They worship cows as sacred animals, and they're agricultural anyway.  So imagine how many cows are there?  Much less in China...

Just a thought... ;)

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
Livestock use 30 percent of the land surface of the planet, generate more greenhouse gasses than transport

I knew the part about the greenhouse gases, but livestock uses 30 percent of the land? I can't see how that'd be possible.

Well, one thing is what is meant by 'using' the land.  30 percent sounds like a lot, but I'll give you an example: cattle in Montana.  A ranch may have hundreds and hundreds of acres and also have grazing allowances on public lands.  But that doesn't mean that there are herds on every acre all the time.  One herd of, oh let's say, 300 head of cattle may "use" a thousand acres or more in a grazing season, that is they're walking on the land, eating grass, sleeping, drinking at a creek or a tank, but they're spread out or in one area while another pasture is empty.  That's why cattle have to be rounded up and looked for on horseback even today, if they're up in country that a truck can't get to.  :)

It's a lot more open and clear then a thousand acres in New York City, for example with thousands upon thousands of people and vehicles and buildings and concrete and more.

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:54 PM »
Ebor,

Well, yeah, I guess that makes sense. I still don't see the 30% though. I mean, we aren't exactly unfamiliar with cows and whatnot here in PA (a few miles from my house there are actual signs warning of livestock that may wander across the road, lol). But most places seem fenced in, and they are dwarfed by the woods and such around here. Maybe it's just one of those things where I'm seeing what I expect to see, I dunno.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »
I am also dubious as to the 30 percent idea, just to be clear.

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:54:39 PM »
Seriously off topic, but...

If you click on one of the tags at the bottom, it shows this thread as being started by Slave of Christ.  Just thought I'd point out the sheer irony of that one.

And for those of you on New Year's diets, I'll eat your share of the steaks to help you out. 
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 10:56:49 PM »
Interesting how much things can change in a few years. ;D I have thought about asking to have my name changed, though I haven't actually done so yet. Going back to Justin might be good. I think one of the reasons I didn't go with that a couple years ago (when I switched to Justin at the Cafe) was because there were a few different Justin's posting at that point.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 10:59:01 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »
Well, one thing is what is meant by 'using' the land.  30 percent sounds like a lot, but I'll give you an example: cattle in Montana.  A ranch may have hundreds and hundreds of acres and also have grazing allowances on public lands.  But that doesn't mean that there are herds on every acre all the time.  One herd of, oh let's say, 300 head of cattle may "use" a thousand acres or more in a grazing season, that is they're walking on the land, eating grass, sleeping, drinking at a creek or a tank, but they're spread out or in one area while another pasture is empty.  That's why cattle have to be rounded up and looked for on horseback even today, if they're up in country that a truck can't get to.  :)

It's a lot more open and clear then a thousand acres in New York City, for example with thousands upon thousands of people and vehicles and buildings and concrete and more.

Ebor

I suppose this is the most plausible explanation.  I'm sure that a few hundred acres are actually needed to sustain a free-range herd of such-and-such a size that probably would all fit physically into one acre.  While some may dispute the 30% number here in the US, remember that there are other countries (like Argentina) where I'm sure the number is much higher than 50%.  This doesn't offset, say, Africa and Antarctica's contribution to the landmass, but maybe it helps to explain the proportions...

How in Mor's good name
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 11:08:41 AM »

Especially when you consider that 1/3 the earth's landmass in uninhabitable, meaning that livestoks uses 45% of the earth's inhabitable landmass? That seems a bit unrealistic considering that humans and human industry/agriculture as a whole have only affected 75% of the Earth's inhabitable landmass. Which would imply cattle are responsible for 60% of all land that has been affected by humans and human industry/agriculture. I think someone's playing with the numbers a bit somewhere.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »
We’ve Grossly Underestimated How Much Cow Farts Are Contributing to Global Warming

A new NASA-sponsored study shows that global methane emissions produced by livestock are 11 percent higher than estimates made last decade. Because methane is a particularly nasty greenhouse gas, the new finding means it’s going to be even tougher to combat climate change than we realized.

We’ve known for quite some time that greenhouse gases produced by cattle, sheep, and pigs are a significant contributor to global warming, but the new research, published in Carbon Balance and Management, shows it’s worse than we thought. Revised figures of methane produced by livestock in 2011 were 11 percent higher than estimates made in 2006...

There are approximately 1.5 billion cows on the planet, each and every one of them expelling upwards of 30 to 50 gallons of methane each day. We typically think of farts as being the culprit, but belches are actually the primary source of cattle-produced methane, accounting for 95 percent of the problematic greenhouse gas...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »
Fr. Chris,

The meat-less pasticio has had a newfound resurrection.  The pasta is still a staple, but he's mixing in a lot of spanakopita and tiropita in the mix too.  Its looks different, but its the same as always. 

As for the original topic,

It kind of makes sense, I mean think about India.  They worship cows as sacred animals, and they're agricultural anyway.  So imagine how many cows are there?  Much less in China...

Just a thought... ;)

How the heck do you do tiropita without butter, cheese, or olive oil?
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.