Author Topic: A Surprising Number of Americans Think Chocolate Milk Comes From Brown Cows  (Read 266 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Kuato: Tetraphysite
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Seven percent of American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

That's the finding from a survey conducted in April by the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, which asked more than 1,000 adults 18 and over where they thought chocolate milk came from.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Americans-Think-Chocolate-Milk-Comes-From-Brown-Cows-Survey-Says-428698283.html
"What people say when they speak on their own account is repellent and murksome, for their words do not come from the living spring of the Spirit, but are spawned from the morass of their own heart, a bog infested with the leeches, snakes and frogs of desire, delusion and dissipation; the water of their knowledge is evil-smelling, turbid and torpid, sickening to those who drink it and filling them with nausea and disgust."

Gregory of Sinai, On Commandments and Doctrines

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
What about spotted milk... er, spotted cows, I mean?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Seven percent of American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

That's the finding from a survey conducted in April by the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, which asked more than 1,000 adults 18 and over where they thought chocolate milk came from.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Americans-Think-Chocolate-Milk-Comes-From-Brown-Cows-Survey-Says-428698283.html
At least they didn't think it came from cow manure.

IIRC, the Vedas discuss this question.

And unfortunately the number isn't surprising at all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:50:59 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

I am hoping they answered thus as a lark...and don't truly believe that.
SMH
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
What about skim milk?  Do they think it came from the skinny cows in Joseph's Pharaoh's dream? :P

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
this entire thread contains too many instances of the word 'think'

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)

I am hoping they answered thus as a lark...and don't truly believe that.
SMH

that was my reaction...they answered that as a joke.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:50:15 PM by Tallitot »
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
this entire thread contains too many instances of the word 'think'

:D
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
What about skim milk?  Do they think it came from the skinny cows in Joseph's Pharaoh's dream? :P

Ooh very funny.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch

my hero

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
What's  wrong with 93 percent of Americans, that they don't realize that chocolate milk does come from brown cows, it's just that the milk becomes chocolatey after it leaves the cow?

Same thing with salted beef jerky. It comes from cows, but the salt gets added later.

The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
What's  wrong with 93 percent of Americans, that they don't realize that chocolate milk does come from brown cows, it's just that the milk becomes chocolatey after it leaves the cow?

Same thing with salted beef jerky. It comes from cows, but the salt gets added later.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
You mean it doesn't?  :o
O hai

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
You mean it doesn't?  :o

Finally the OC.netter brave enough to say it.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
I always find these surveys interesting. I often wonder if because the question is so stupid, people intentionally troll the questioner. But this idea is always tested when I step outside.
I no longer forum here.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Was this a phone survey?  If so, those 1000 people are those that:
1) Have a landline
2) Answer strange calls (assuming they have caller ID)
3) Continue talking with a person once it's established that a survey is being performed

The result is not that surprising.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
It reminds me a story with my sister, when she was a child. She was spending summer in a holiday resort in a small village, and her mother wanted to buy milk directly from the farmer having a cow. She protested then: "I don't want milk from a cow, I want milk from a shop!".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)