OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Date of Jesus death: 14th or 15th of Nisan?  (Read 544 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: June 27, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »

I have been having a discussion with someone regarding the quartodeciman controversies, and I wanted to be certain of the Orthodox viewpoint here. Do we hold that Jesus died on the 14th, the 15th, or is this a gray area?

I've heard that some people say that John says he died on the 14th, while the synoptics say the 15th. How do we reconcile this?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:23:47 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »

also, a brief chronology of the events from an Orthodox perspective would be helpful (ideally with some sources), for example some would say:

last supper: eve of 14th (thurs)
death: 3 pm on 14th (fri)
resurrection: Sunday morning
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »

anyone want to take a stab?
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »

14th of Nisan

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »

14 Nisan Christ Our Passover was slain.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25677.msg413150.html#msg413150

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13375.msg285218.html#msg285218

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »

also, a brief chronology of the events from an Orthodox perspective would be helpful (ideally with some sources), for example some would say:

This, as far as I'm aware.

This is the chronology of St. John the Theologian, as laid out in his Gospel. The Synoptic Evangelists do record a different chronology. How do we reconcile them? We don't. It doesn't matter. St. John is making a point by theologically connecting the Passion of our Lord with the slaying of the lamb in the Temple at Yom Kippur, for he is "...the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Apocalypse of St. John the Theologian, ch. 13, v. 8http://).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:24:44 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »

Ok, so what was the quartodeciman controversy all about? Did they not believe that Christ died on the 14th of Nisan, and the opposing side believed otherwise? Or did this matter have to do solely with what day to end the fast?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »

I think I may have gotten this wrong. Wasn't the eve of the 14th, when the last supper was held, technically Friday (according to the Jewish day system)?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: