OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:37:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why exactly does God want worship, adoration and praise??  (Read 3722 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »

I'm not asking why does he deserve it.

Thanks Poppy
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »

Entire books have been written on this subject by persons much more worthy than I. For me, I understand it in this way: God is love. He wants us to enter into the fulness of that love through worship, adoration, and praise.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »

It's our purpose in life that we were created for, and from which we receive our life.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »

Good question, Pop. Personally, I believe it's not so much praise as it is just common gratefulness. He has placed us in paradise, given us the stars, and yet we keep wallowing in the mud and ignoring Him. The main theme of Christianity is Man's reconciliation with God. We do that first by realizing that God is in charge--not us. Read the first chapter of Romans. St Paul was very astute. (That's why he got the job.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:07:19 PM by sainthieu » Logged
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but your questions rings more as: Why should I worship, adore and praise God?  This is my response, but please tell me if I'm off the mark.  First, a person needs to feel that he/she is a creation and not a result of zillion of movements of nature and voila, a human being is developed.  When a person feels that there is a higher force of intelligence that created mankind, then the thought moves towards that Creator.  And when that thought moves towards seeing that there is a grand Creator, who created everything, then the thought moves towards the fact that He has the greatest power since He created mankind, nature, the stars, space , our souls, etc.   Nobody is above His existence because they are the created and He is the Creator.  So to worship our Creator is reasonable, but to worship objects created by man's hands (idols) is silly.  How can a person create an object and then say that it is higher than himself?  Talk about low self-esteem!  So unless you first see that God is the Creator of you and everything you have, then adoration and praise come as a result of loving your Creator because He created you out of love.  But, in asking why does God want worship, adoration and praise, I can only respond by saying that He is showing us that He really loves us and although He will not force anyone to come to Him, He wants us to know that He is always with us.  He created us out of love and He wants us to use the love instilled in us to turn to Him.  Not to satisfy Himself, but because it is the best thing for us in our lives. It's all for us.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »

That's quite a weird thing to think about Melodist that we were created to praise and worship and adore God. Don't you think that's weird a bit?? Would we have kids so as they can tell us how wonderfull we are?? lolOl i'm not being disrespectfull to God or anything (or not meaning to be) but that seems a bit wrong to me.

Not so much me personally Joasia but why does God want all that stuff just anyways. I get what you mean about it being a natural progression of realising things about who God is though.

What genesisone said about entering into something with God so maybe like the unity in the Eucharist then when people all do the same thing together then it makes them unite with God spiritually??

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »

I have thought about all this allot and i still don't get it one bit.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »

Imagine Vitamin C were alive and actually loved us.

"Captain C" would want us to "ingest" him on a daily basis, because he knows we need vitamin C in our metabolism.

Likewise, we need God in our spiritual metabolism. Worship, adoration and praise is how we "ingest" Him spiritually, and the Eucharist is how we "ingest" Him even materially. And because He knows He is a vitamin for our spiritual being, He wants us to "ingest" Him, to worship, adore and praise Him.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:57:44 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »

That's quite a weird thing to think about Melodist that we were created to praise and worship and adore God. Don't you think that's weird a bit?? Would we have kids so as they can tell us how wonderfull we are?? lolOl i'm not being disrespectfull to God or anything (or not meaning to be) but that seems a bit wrong to me.

Not so much me personally Joasia but why does God want all that stuff just anyways. I get what you mean about it being a natural progression of realising things about who God is though.

What genesisone said about entering into something with God so maybe like the unity in the Eucharist then when people all do the same thing together then it makes them unite with God spiritually??

We have to start with the basic premise that God is perfect love.

We cannot speak of love with only a single person. And so God is a Trinity—a community of love within Himself.

Love is also a creative force, and since God is positively rife with love, overflowing with it, He created everything in the universe. The universe was created to join the community of love that is the Holy Trinity—not because God is insecure and needs creations to make Him feel loved, but because He contains more love than He can keep to Himself.

An analogy: I know an older lady who has been an iconographer for decades. She has a true love for the saints and for painting icons. Her home and her church are filled with icons because she loves to paint them. We could say the same about any activity that people enjoy. They do it because they can't not do it.

So why does God want our worship? Because that is why we were created. When we are in our truly natural state, all we have is pure love for God and we adore Him constantly. The Bible says that all of creation blesses the Lord and worships Him in their own ways: the stars, the planets, the sky, the trees, the animals—in their pristine state they exist to worship God.

Worship is what it means to exist. Dogs exist to act like dogs. Trees exist to act like trees. And above all that, all creatures exist to worship. Psalm 103/104, the Psalm from Vespers, expresses this quite beautifully.

To sum up: We exist because of God's super-abundant love that is not satisfied until the infinite beings, creatures, and objects of the universe are restored to the perfect universal movement of love that existed in the beginning. We were created for this, and God desires us to return to it, because that is what it means to exist.

(But really, the way I have explained this is actually backwards. God is a Trinity, therefore love requires a community. God created the universe, therefore love is creative. All of these attributes are described in terms of what God has already done, and not in a sense that God is constrained by some abstract concept called "love." Whatever God is, we call that love, community, etc.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:18:16 PM by bogdan » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »

"Captain C" would want us to "ingest" him on a daily basis, because he knows we need vitamin C in our metabolism.

Likewise, we need God in our spiritual metabolism. Worship, adoration and praise is how we "ingest" Him spiritually, and the Eucharist is how we "ingest" Him even materially. And because He knows He is a vitamin for our spiritual being, He wants us to "ingest" Him, to worship, adore and praise Him.

haha..... ok thanks that part is clear now CRYSTAL lolOl.....you ingest Gods goodness for yourself by focusing on him.

I'm going to have to think about the other part to this some more Bogdan.....thanks for explaining but your words are not wasted because i always come back and read over several times week after week ^_^

I get the ....can't help but not do what you love to do...... and the fact that God is full to overflowing with love, but that's about all for now.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »

We cannot speak of love with only a single person. And so God is a Trinity—a community of love within Himself.

Love is also a creative force, and since God is positively rife with love, overflowing with it, He created everything in the universe. The universe was created to join the community of love that is the Holy Trinity—not because God is insecure and needs creations to make Him feel loved, but because He contains more love than He can keep to Himself.

An analogy: I know an older lady who has been an iconographer for decades. She has a true love for the saints and for painting icons. Her home and her church are filled with icons because she loves to paint them. We could say the same about any activity that people enjoy. They do it because they can't not do it.

So why does God want our worship? Because that is why we were created. When we are in our truly natural state, all we have is pure love for God and we adore Him constantly. The Bible says that all of creation blesses the Lord and worships Him in their own ways: the stars, the planets, the sky, the trees, the animals—in their pristine state they exist to worship God.

Worship is what it means to exist. Dogs exist to act like dogs. Trees exist to act like trees. And above all that, all creatures exist to worship. Psalm 103/104, the Psalm from Vespers, expresses this quite beautifully.

To sum up: We exist because of God's super-abundant love that is not satisfied until the infinite beings, creatures, and objects of the universe are restored to the perfect universal movement of love that existed in the beginning. We were created for this, and God desires us to return to it, because that is what it means to exist.

(But really, the way I have explained this is actually backwards. God is a Trinity, therefore love requires a community. God created the universe, therefore love is creative. All of these attributes are described in terms of what God has already done, and not in a sense that God is constrained by some abstract concept called "love." Whatever God is, we call that love, community, etc.)

I couldn't have said that any better than you did. Amen to all of this. I just wish more people (especially where I live) saw it this way. I know I want to.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »

Excellent!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:49 AM »

Ok ok im sorry for being a complete plank but Bogdan said we were created for worship, that kind of makes things worse looking from God's perspective because he INTENTIONALLY made people JUST to praise and worship him. I know that human beings might need to ingest God that way but and i can understand that given that humans are sick and need God but, in the beginning with Adam they wernt sick??

So basicall God just created beings to worship and praise him and thats it.

But i don't get that at all because there would be no need for the garden, the earth, the animals, the relationships between man and woman.....ad infrikenfinitum....

They could just have been created and then worship him, end of.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »

Ok ok im sorry for being a complete plank but Bogdan said we were created for worship, that kind of makes things worse looking from God's perspective because he INTENTIONALLY made people JUST to praise and worship him. I know that human beings might need to ingest God that way but and i can understand that given that humans are sick and need God but, in the beginning with Adam they wernt sick??

But i don't get that at all because there would be no need for the garden, the earth, the animals, the relationships between man and woman.....ad infrikenfinitum....

God made us because He has more potential to love than He can even contain, so He created the universe to share in His love, which is manifest as worship, since all things are in fact subservient to Him.

We have human relationships because we were created by a relational, communal God, in His image and likeness. We are intended to manifest God's love to each other as well.

The plants, animals, and all living things also share in this universe-wide flow of love and worship. "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord," the Psalm says.

(And of course, love isn't love without free will: hence the Fall, sin, and corruption.)

I may not be explaining this well. Can anyone else add to this?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:01:08 PM by bogdan » Logged
lost
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »

good question and i consider genesisone's answer to be a good answer, yet not a convincing one.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »

God made us because He has more potential to love than He can even contain, so He created the universe to share in His love, which is manifest as worship, since all things are in fact subservient to Him.

We have human relationships because we were created by a relational, communal God, in His image and likeness. We are intended to manifest God's love to each other as well.

The plants, animals, and all living things also share in this universe-wide flow of love and worship. "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord," the Psalm says.

(And of course, love isn't love without free will: hence the Fall, sin, and corruption.)

I may not be explaining this well. Can anyone else add to this?

haha... ok i GOT the connection after the gazzillion time it was explained thanks. Its not you bogdan its me ugh it just takes a while some things especially about love. Other things i get immediately even quicker then other people.

So...relational God and relational people and he doesnt MAKE them worship but that's what happens because of who he is....ok totally get that now.

edit add: i feel rli bad now because i was way way impatient with someone today and now here you are being rli patient with me  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:20:42 PM by Poppy » Logged
lost
Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »

If God does not explicitly want or need our worship, than ask yourselfs where are all religions coming from?
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »

If God does not explicitly want or need our worship, than ask yourselfs where are all religions coming from?

If God does not explicitly want or need our worship if we do not explicity need or want to worship God, then ask yourselfs from where do all the world religions come?

I'm going to need this.
lost
Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »

If God does not explicitly want or need our worship if we do not explicity need or want to worship God, then ask yourselfs from where do all the world religions come?

quote from a movie : God is an imaginary friend for adults... theory: The thought of man has created god and the thought of man his worship... out of material interest , or out of human weakness and the sought to find confort, out of the sensibility...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »

if we do not explicity need or want to worship God, then ask yourselfs from where do all the world religions come?

There's a huge difference between need and want...  police
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

quote from a movie : God is an imaginary friend for adults... theory: The thought of man has created god and the thought of man his worship... out of material interest , or out of human weakness and the sought to find confort, out of the sensibility...

Sounds like a line of thought born out of Descartes' solipsism.

I'm going to need this.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 02:08:48 PM »

if we do not explicity need or want to worship God, then ask yourselfs from where do all the world religions come?

If I want it, I NEED IT!  Grin

I'm going to need this.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

bogdan answered that rli clearly here

"....which is manifest as worship, since all things are in fact subservient to Him. "

He doesnt need it or want it but it happens just because he is him and we are not him
Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »

God wants a heart that seeks Him. He wants intimate communion with us. We also have a drive to seek out God, however twisted and darkened that may have become in our hearts. What God has given us in the Liturgy and the various services is what will best mold our hearts to be oriented toward Him so that we can best commune with Him. The Liturgy helps to heal our hearts so that we can properly seek Him. God doesn't need anything, but he wants us to want Him and seek Him with all our hearts, just as He has done to us.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »

God doesn't need anything, but he wants us to want Him and seek Him with all our hearts, just as He has done to us.

Thas not true because he can't want something from someone who can't give that to him. He knows ppl are sick and dark or w/eva you call it so they can't want him. I don't, not out of meanness but because the desire just isn't there. It might be if you was brought up in some kind of church or faith but if its alien to you the whole faith thing then you don't have anything that even wants or needs God.
Knee V

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »

God doesn't need anything, but he wants us to want Him and seek Him with all our hearts, just as He has done to us.

Thas not true because he can't want something from someone who can't give that to him. He knows ppl are sick and dark or w/eva you call it so they can't want him. I don't, not out of meanness but because the desire just isn't there. It might be if you was brought up in some kind of church or faith but if its alien to you the whole faith thing then you don't have anything that even wants or needs God.

Unless God is reaching out to us first... which He is.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »

He knows ppl are sick and dark or w/eva you call it so they can't want him.

Yet, people can often need something though they aren't conscious of that need.

That is, people can place themselves, or find themselves, in dark places; both by their own deeds and by the deeds of others. Through these situations, it is quite possible for them to never consider God, if not completely reject God. Their situation and life doesn't negate the primal necessity for God in their lives. Sometimes, it takes time and experience to bring people to God.

This is a world of children made in the likeness of God. They make decisions by their own fallen heart and mind. Make that seven (7) billion children of the supreme being, and you have 7,000,000,000 individual wills. It can take time to reach the hearts of every one of them. Yet, their hearts can be reached. In the end, this life is meaningless and minuscule in the face of eternity. But a loving heart in the end, is the salvation of a soul.

I'm going to need this.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »

Thas not the same as desire and wanting someone. When i am with a bloke i don't want him needing me i want him wanting me theres a mega huge difference.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »

Thas not the same as desire and wanting someone. When i am with a bloke i don't want him needing me i want him wanting me theres a mega huge difference.

You're right.

Need and passion are different animals.

I'm going to need this.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »

Could it also be said in a way that each member of the Trinity worships the other members? I know we say that each member empties themselves into the other, so that could be a form of worship and sacrifice, no? Because Jesus on earth obviously worshipped God the Father, you would logically think that it went both ways.

So could it be said that God worships Himself?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:50:22 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »

I think it's good to look at this issue apophatically, i.e. from the basic standpoint that we absolutely cannot know what God is, what God does, what God wants - but, rather, can get some idea about what God is not, what God does not do, what God does not want, etc. If we do that, we will at some point see that we cannot really say "God wants," because that would mean that He lacks something, is in need of something. Our expression, "God wants," is just another of the many attempts to "domesticate" God by "anthropomorphisms" - giving Him our own human features. (In the same way, we "domesticate" God by saying that He gets angry, vengeful, wrathful; that He punishes the wicked, etc.)

On the other hand, we can know, more or less precisely, what WE, humans, want and need. We want and need relationships. The best, the wisest of us arived to the conclusion that without the "other," without a "neighbor," without a "you" (in the sense that only *I* matter), human life is pointless, meaningless. It is not even life. It is gradual dying, expiring. We really LIVE when we have someone at whom we look, to whom we listen, with whom we talk, to whom we give thanks and compliments and praise and honor and love.

So, if God made us (oh, again an anthropomorphism! Smiley ) such that we need somebody to love, and He made us in His image - then it's right to love, adore, worship. Fr. Alexander Schmemann used to write that our species is not only "Homo sapiens," but also "Homo adoratus." Admiring, giving thanks and praise to the "other" (and God is the ultimate "Other") is simply our true human nature, our initial divine design. 

Love never fails.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »

I certainly cannot speak with any authority on this matter, but I've wondered about this myself over the years. It cannot be that God needs our worship our anything at all from us. Surely it is for our benefit…but it does come off odd at a certain level…you're great, you're wonderful, thank you ever so much, all praise and glory to you etc. etc.  Something seemed missing…even accounting that it may be something of a natural response of the soul, sort of like what happens when flower opens to face the sun.  If there is a definitive answer to be found, I think it may well involve Zephaniah 3:17:The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

In this context our worship takes its place within a communion of joyful love and acknowledgement. He rejoices over us and we rejoice over Him.  The form of our worship presupposes an intimate content…the words, phrases, and ideation of our worship is the fruit of that intimacy struggling for earthly tongue to convey what is at heart unutterable but full of glory. Like icons the forms are worship are given not as static "tromp d'oeil' but as windows to be penetrated until the meeting between the Worshiped and the worshiper is face to face. Our worship is our part of an unending love song that when met is met with what no earthly tongue can tell.

This is my best guess…it may be quite incomplete or even quite wrong.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:42:55 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »

Selam:)
Seraphim God bless you! beautifuly said!
He IS Love and He gave us this capacity to Love, He is the Soul of our Soul, for us and the angels when united with Him worship is the result, uncontainable joy uncontainable love, unatterable contemplation of Glory. this is the Communion that He created us for. worship is a natural consequence of that union, a manifestation of what is being shared.
this is my limited understanding of it.

blessed day:)

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »

Thas not true because he can't want something from someone who can't give that to him. He knows ppl are sick and dark or w/eva you call it so they can't want him. I don't, not out of meanness but because the desire just isn't there.

The desire is always there. People don't always recognize it.

It might be if you was brought up in some kind of church or faith but if its alien to you the whole faith thing then you don't have anything that even wants or needs God.
yes, you do.  you just don't have the tools to recognize the yearning for what it is.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »

God does not need our worship; it is we who need to worship God, as in being filled with the Spirit we become whole and are transfigured and healed.

In the OT worship is portrayed as involving not just cultic matters, but the whole of life. Shachah in particular (literally bow, bow down) denotes unconditional subjection in the sense of Lordship. Abad (serve, work; the abed YHWH = the Servant of God in the Isaianic Servant Poems), translated as latreuo in the LXX usually means to serve or worship in a cultical sense, especially by the prescribed Levitical sacrificial offerings, however:

“…if the primary reference of the term is to cultic worship, this is only an expression of the inner attitude, of confident committal to Yahweh, of conduct… this is to demonstrate itself in fear (Dt 10:12), in love (11:1), and in keeping the commandments and statutes of Yahweh, also in swearing only in His name… But the term latreuein is not exhausted by this. It goes much deeper and involves the demand for right disposition of the heart and the demonstration of this in the whole of religious and moral conduct. Here is indeed the true uniqueness of religion in Israel… Latreuo is also used in the NT in a very concrete fashion. It was not until the Intertestamental period, for example, that latreuein seems to be freed from any idea of cultic worship and wholly spiritualized” (Strathmann, H., “Latreuo, Latreia” TDNT IV, 58ff. p. 61; cf. Sir 4:14).

There is likewise very little evidence of this kind of “spiritualized” usage in the NT:

“According to LXX usage the primary reference of latreuein is to the sacrificial ministry which is to be offered to Yahweh in contrast to other Gods” (ibid, p. 63). “The comprehensive use of latreuein for the whole conduct of the righteous towards God is found first in Lk 1:74… A manner of life which is pleasing to God and which is sustained both by gratitude and by a serious sense of responsibility – this is Christian to theo latreuein… Christians worship God through the spirit of God. This is not to be restricted to prayer. It includes all that to which we are impelled by the Spirit… the word latreia virtually means sacrifice… The concrete idea of sacrifice seems always to cling to the noun no less than to the verb... The service which Christians are to offer consists in the fashioning of their inner lives and their outward physical conduct in a way which plainly distinguishes them from the world and which corresponds to the will of God. This is the living sacrifice which they have to offer” (ibid, p. 65).

The Greek term proskuneo: do reverence, worship, kiss, bow down before, is used in the sense of veneration, e.g. this was the proper attitude before a king or superior; the term is sometimes used of a gesture of gratitude, affectionate regard, or respectful admiration, however, as opposed to Classical Greek usage “when the NT uses proskunein the object is always something – truly or supposedly – divine…” Cf. also for Josephus proskunein “denotes the worship of God or the gods and also respect for men” (Greeven, Heinrich, “Proskuneo,” TDNT VI, p. 762).

Biblically, such service and submission properly rendered “worship” is, rather than to some narcissistic or despotic ruler, as to the One who lays His own life down for us as our healer and fountain, and in OT terms, whose covenant relation to those who would follow him is best described by the Heb. term hesed, “lovingkindness,” "mercy." or "covenant faithfulness." As our Lord he puts a lamp unto our feet to light our paths, not to lord it over us, but because from his broader vision he understands what truly blesses and curses our lives, and the lives of those surrounding us. In short, “we love him, because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19). Worship connects us with He in whose image we are that being filled with Him we are filled with the love which through Him blesses us and transfigures us in turn into blessing.

The Heb. word hillul, one of the OT terms often rendered “praise,” denotes rejoicing, praise, and/or festive joy (cf. yadah as praise, thanks, throw down; navah: beautify, praise, etc.).

Worship is not a mere subjective response, but involves the whole person, in every place and every time one finds oneself. Through worship (properly understood), we are healed/made whole -we are transfigured. God rather than being a divine narcissist is a divine lover, giver, and servant. Worship is granted to us because it is for us and those with us. As Paul puts it, “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship” (Rom 12:1).

We worship Him not because He needs it, but because He is our Fountain, our Gate, the Bread of Life, our Savior/Healer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:52:10 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »

Welcome and illuminating as always. Your substantial gathering of sources and concise summations are always high valued!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »

God does not need our worship; it is we who need to worship God, as in being filled with the Spirit we become whole and are transfigured and healed.

We worship Him not because He needs it, but because He is our Fountain, our Gate, the Bread of Life, our Savior/Healer.

Wow, your ENTIRE post was amazing, but these two sentences sum it up nicely.

To add my inadequate response, I feel the same exact way.

I was talking to a friend and she said something to the effect of, "We do need to worship God constantly, because I think that He is sad when we don't." I thought her response was really strange, so I tried to think of a way to address it without being too aggressive. I ended up saying that I don't think that it isn't God that loses when we don't worship - WE do.

Worship restores my soul and makes me feel complete. That sounds kind of selfish, but it isn't. If I am worshiping for my own selfish desires, I don't get anything out of it. When I open up my soul and lay everything before God, and thank Him, in utter submission, for everything I have and am going through, I feel more complete after it. I guess that's the theosis thing people here talk about. (Not that I've attained it or anything Wink )

Sometimes I'm worshiping Him through tears, especially if my illness is flaring up or something worse is happening. I know that I need to be right with God, even though part of my heart wants to curse Him for what I am going through. I don't quite know how to describe it, but I'm shaking and crying, but I feel "centered," for lack of a better term. My heart is overflowing with His love, and it kills me, every single time.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »

Yeah, I don't think it's so much that God needs (or even wants) our worship and adoration, but that He wants to love us. For whatever reason. Perhaps it's more that we need Him.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 11:05:41 AM »

BTW, where is poppy? Worried because I haven't seen a dozen topics or posts from her in a few days.

Maybe she is crossing the pond to meet me as we speak! //:=)

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »

BTW, where is poppy? Worried because I haven't seen a dozen topics or posts from her in a few days.

Didn't you hear? She's working in France now or something.

You wish.  Wink

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »

Didn't you hear? She's working in France now or something.

You wish.  Wink

Paris instead of me?

Like water for chocolate.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »

Read last post.  laugh

--
--
Mivac

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »

I'm not asking why does he deserve it.

Thanks Poppy

Why do you adore and praise your spouse or a dear friend?  I believe it builds relationship, heals and grows us, changes us, if done without falling into one of the vices.  That is why God seeks our Worship, it is Love.  Then again, I could be wrong.
lost
Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »

couldn`t it be that we are God, part of God, God`s spirit being in us so by 'worshiping' , adoring, prasing him we do ourselves a good and a service?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »

That sounds dangerously close to New Age territory. I am not a fragment of God.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

It is called Synergy, in the Latin Cooperation.

God acts, this is called "energia" in the Greek.  Any and all of God's actions in the verb sense are His energies.  When we act, these are also energies, they are our human energies or human activities.  When we act in harmony, or cooperation directly with God's energies, this is synergy, or synchronized energies/activities.  So prayer, worship, adoration, praise, are when we synchronize our actions with God's actions.  God puts out His spirit, and we accept it and embrace Him with our own, much like a hand shake or a hug, we work and act together. 

So this is EXACTLY why God wants us to worship, adore, and praise Him.  When we do such, we are acting in Synergy with God's own actions, which are to create and sustain all aspects of our reality.  God is always acting, and so when we pause to pray, worship, praise, or adore God, we are acting together with His initial acting.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterA

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »

Aghapy,

I usually never post non-orthodox sources but I was reading C.S Lewis' 'The problem of pain' recently and I remember coming across something that may relate to the discussion at hand.
C.S Lewis was an adorer of St Augustine and the fathers in general so surely he was influenced in that respect.

Here's the passage; hopefully it pertains:

The real interests of a child may
differ from that which his father's affection instinctively demands,
because the child is a separate being from the father with a nature
which has its own needs and does not exist solely for the father nor
find its whole perfection in being loved by him, and which the father
does not fully understand. But creatures are not thus separate from
their Creator, nor can He misunderstand them
. The place for which
He designs them in His scheme of things is the place they are made
for. When they reach it their nature is fulfilled and their happiness
attained: a broken bone in the universe has been set, the anguish is
over. When we want to be something other than the thing God
wants us to be, we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us
happy. Those Divine demands which sound to our natural ears
most like those of a despot and least like those of a lover, in fact
marshall us where we should want to go if we knew what we
wanted. He demands our worship, our obedience, our prostration.
Do we suppose that they can do Him any good, or fear
, like the
chorus in Milton, that human irreverence can bring about "His
glory's diminution"? A man can no more diminish God's glory by
refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by
scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. But God wills
our good, and our good is to love Him (with that responsive love
proper to creatures) and to love Him we must know Him: and if we
know Him, we shall in fact fall on our faces
. If we do not, that only
shows that what we are trying to love is not yet God - though it may
be the nearest approximation to God which our thought and fantasy
can attain. Yet the call is not only to prostration and awe; it is to a
reflection of the Divine life, a creaturely participation in the Divine
attributes which is far beyond our present desires.

http://usminc.org/books/ProblemOfPain.pdf

The quote is on page 28.  - MK
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:51:15 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: