OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 01:32:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's happening to the OCA?  (Read 1385 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 18, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »

I've read of some odd things happening in the OCA recently.  Would you all please fill me in?  Thanks!

1.  What is the status of Met. Jonah?  Is he still on "probation"?

2.  I've noticed a couple monasteries of the OCA going over to ROCOR.  Does this mean that the OCA is being dissolved or something?

No one talks about this at Church, so this is my only place to get the poop on this stuff.  thanks!   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »

Metropolitan Jonah was never on probation. He was going to take a sort of leave, but that ended quickly. OCA isn't being dissolved. Unfortunately, "jurisdiction hopping" happens over here. It's sad, but true. Don't read too much into it.

There are some issues over in the OCA (and I say this as someone who loves the OCA). But, let me offer a small bit of advice from my own experience. Don't get too caught up in it. It can take you down a bad road, I promise. It happened to me when I decided to get too much into Church politics. It turns you into something you won't like.

As long as there's no compromise of the Faith, don't worry about the politics, too much.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »

Read Monomakhos for background info.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

Just my opinion, follow John's advice and don't get caught up in things and linking to Monomakhos is probably not healthy as the host is very opinionated.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »

Just my opinion, follow John's advice and don't get caught up in things and linking to Monomakhos is probably not healthy as the host is very opinionated.
LOL. I think sainthieu is of the same opinion, though.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »

You know, someone brings something to my attention--via backchannel, for which I am grateful--which is very true: it was imprudent of me to direct Trevor to that site. Mind you, I don't basically disagree with the site, but, in truth, it's not really suitable for a high schooler to have to be thinking about and dealing with that stuff. It would have been better if I had buttoned my lip. I beg everyone's forgiveness--especially that of Trevor.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

which monasteries have switched? ive heard nothing about that
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »

One monastery -- not a couple -- has been transferred to ROCOR. Met. Jonah had brought over some nuns from Greece to start up a convent on the DC cathedral grounds. That convent is now ROCOR and will find facilities elsewhere.

To the OP: Everything happening nowadays is just a blip in the broader history of the Metropolia/OCA. If you want to find the big news, look to the demographic decline of the Rust Belt and the falling away of the last two generations.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »

One monastery -- not a couple -- has been transferred to ROCOR. Met. Jonah had brought over some nuns from Greece to start up a convent on the DC cathedral grounds. That convent is now ROCOR and will find facilities elsewhere.

To the OP: Everything happening nowadays is just a blip in the broader history of the Metropolia/OCA. If you want to find the big news, look to the demographic decline of the Rust Belt and the falling away of the last two generations.

Going beyond that, everying happening nowadays is just a blip in the broader history of Orthodoxy in the americas, not just the Metropolia/OCA. "Jurisdiction" and/or 'Bishop' swapping was once a blood sport; at least we have moved beyond that for the most part. (The sad case of Bishop Stephen Dzubay is a good case in point.)

My father always told me not to pay heed to most of that sort of stuff, the Church is led by men who are just like the rest of us. The Church is greater than the failings of any man or group of men and we just have to keep faith and move forward without despairing about such problems.
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »

Please forgive me if this is out of line, but I wanted to add something.

Trevor,

I'm not sure how old you are but, based on some of the posts I've seen from you, I would guess teenager. If that is the case, then you're probably around the same age I was when my family got the internet and I discovered the wider world of Orthodoxy...both good and bad. It was about that time that I started reading things and seeing things and decided I had to know more. This is what I mean by my "experience." That kind of stuff can be dangerous for anyone, but it's far more dangerous for someone at that age, especially as you are growing in the Faith. I, personally, became a very legalistic and judgmental person. And, instead of focusing on my own life and my spiritual growth, I decided that I knew better than others and began condemning others and deciding who was right and wrong.

These are not things you want when you're trying to grow closer to God. Perhaps those who are more spiritually mature can handle that, but the majority of people in their teens cannot handle that and it will cause distraction and affect your spiritual life. Even now, at my much older age, I tend to stay away from that because I know what it incites in me. Save yourself the heartache and don't pay attention to that junk. Unless the bishop starts spouting off heresies and trying to take the people away from God or the Faith...let other people get caught up in it, but not yourself.

Focus on God, serving Him and growing closer to Him and the Faith. All the other stuff is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Please forgive me if I offend.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »

A few months ago I decided it was best if I didn't know everything about episcopal politics. I was right.

Perhaps one day, when I am not so weak and struggling, it will be different.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »

A few months ago I decided it was best if I didn't know everything about episcopal politics. I was right.

Perhaps one day, when I am not so weak and struggling, it will be different.
Yes I've made it a personal policy not to inquire too far into the politics of the Church.
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »

I agree with everyone advising not to get caught up in it.  Church politics and scandals are a shame and a sin on the Church, but the Church is never immune to them.

As a dear friend of mine, a Lutheran Pastor, is fond of saying, "the Church would be so much better if it weren't for all those sinners."

Being aware is not a bad thing, but being caught up in it is unhealthy.  At the end of the day, despite the issues going on in my own Archdiocese, I have my parish and my priest, and we have the Church in that little place.  These things tend to sort themselves out in the Church.  For goodness' sake, we have the uncanonical jurisdictional issues in the U.S. that have been going on now for over a century, and even that is just a tiny blip on the 2000 year history of the Church.  Be aware.  But instead of getting into the politics and the voyeuristic peering into all of the scandals, pray, attend Liturgy, give alms, fast and be that which God called you to be.  Scandals won't go away through bickering and politicking.  But they will eventually pass if we love one another.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:59:47 PM by David Garner » Logged

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »

Trevor,

As an inquirer into Orthodoxy, I've already learned to just avoid any Church politics. It benefits no one, especially the soul. Might I suggest you worry about and pursue your own holiness, because on the day of temptation knowing what is happening in the episcopate does nothing to help us remain righteous before God.  Wink

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: