OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 01:57:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egg hanging from the chandelier  (Read 1230 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: July 17, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

Anyone know the background on hanging an egg from the main chandelier of a church building?

I have seen it done overseas but can not recall seeing it ever done here in the US. Does anyone know where you can get these eggs? Are the up all year long or just during the Pascha season? Any information or observations on this tradition would be helpful.

Joseph
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »

I'm going to need this.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »

Anyone know the background on hanging an egg from the main chandelier of a church building?

I have seen it done overseas but can not recall seeing it ever done here in the US. Does anyone know where you can get these eggs? Are the up all year long or just during the Pascha season? Any information or observations on this tradition would be helpful.

In close to 50 years of being Orthodox, and with a foot in both Russian and Greek traditions, I've never seen it.  Huh
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »

I've seen ostrich eggs adorning the pointy ends of crosses in Ethiopian churches (in pictures at least), but no eggs hanging from chandaliers. That's probably because I'm Antiochian. You know, in Antioch, we use hand grenades. They're not live ones, but symbolic represnations of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, which travels with the patriarch wherever he goes.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:36:55 AM »

It represents the Resurrection.  

I know I've seen pictures of it in old Armenian churches overseas.  Here in the US, I think I've seen it at St. Antony Coptic Orthodox Monastery.  Maybe someone else who has been to the Monastery can confirm if my recollections are correct.

Larissa

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »

Are the up all year long or just during the Pascha season?
I have seen an Easter egg hanging from a chandelier or from an icon in a monastery church, only during the Pascha season. It represents the Resurrection.
Apostolic Seeker
art historian in training

Faith: Seeking - Officially RC

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »

I can confirm that is has been a tradition since at least the 15th century. Piero della Francesca, a renaissance painter, features a hanging ostrich egg in his Brera Madonna. Our professor specifically said that the painter discovered this tradition through his contact with Byzantines who fled to Italy after the fall of Constantinople.

Now that I looked this up on Wikipedia, I see that the article contains a bunch of unlikely unsourced speculations.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

The nearest Greek church to where I am has ostrich eggs hanging from the chandelier. I've seen it in quite a few places. The eggs are always painted with icons.

On the wiki site for the Blue Mosque in Constantinople "On the chandeliers, ostrich eggs are found that were meant to avoid cobwebs inside the mosque by repelling spiders.".
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »

I was at a Coptic church yesterday, where they had an ostrich egg hanging from the top of the iconostasis.  I took a picture of it with my phone, but I don't know how to get it from my phone to here.  I'm so technology impaired.   Cheesy

Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »

I was at a Coptic church yesterday, where they had an ostrich egg hanging from the top of the iconostasis.  I took a picture of it with my phone, but I don't know how to get it from my phone to here.  I'm so technology impaired.   Cheesy

We have three. You can see them in the picture at the top of the webpage: www.smcoc.ca

I've always been told that the belief was that the ostrich hatched her egg by looking at it rather than sitting on it, and that if she looked away it would not hatch, so it is a symbol of Christ's constant care for us, and a reminder to pay attention during the Liturgy.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »

Another:
http://www.cccnet.ca/Menu/Gallery/PhotoAlbum/Church/StMary_Inside.jpg
http://www.cccnet.ca/Menu/Gallery/PhotoAlbum/Church/StMary_Iconstasis_Centre.jpg
http://www.cccnet.ca/Menu/Gallery/PhotoAlbum/Church/StAthanasius_Inside.jpg
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »

Pan to the right and scroll up. You will see the huge ostrich egg hanging from the iconostasis above the bishop.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:25:14 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags: ostrich egg 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: