Author Topic: To fellow cubicle dwellers - white noise apps!  (Read 1284 times)

Offline jah777

• Archon
To fellow cubicle dwellers - white noise apps!
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
I just wanted to take a moment to recommend headphones and white noise smartphone apps for my fellow strugglers who labor for 8 hrs or more each day in the small cell referred to as a "cubicle".  Put on the headphones, download a white noise app, and there is tranquility of thought, focus of mind, space for prayer during more menial tasks, proper attention to difficult and complex tasks, etc.  If you don't have a smart phone that downloads apps, there are websites that play white noise and you can plug headphones into your computer to tap in.  I have recently been using this tool on a fairly regular basis and it has been a life changing decision, and I mean that quite literally.  If you share a home with someone who spends hours at the altar of the devil box known by two letters, bemoaning the difficulty of prayer and spiritual contemplations in such a pernicious atmosphere, then employ the headphones and white noise at home too and you will be amazed how suddenly there is time and space for prayer and lofty reflections. 

The mental battle that must be waged every second to harness the attention and mental fortitude to focus in a single direction for a prolonged period of time in the midst of an onslaught of distractions coming from every direction is all too much for most to handle.  It doesn't need to be that difficult, and so I wanted to place this plug here for encouragement to those who are languishing in cubicle land and despairing of solutions to the madness.

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: To fellow cubicle dwellers - white noise apps!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
Thanks jah777, this sounds like something I could do with right now!  Do you have links to such apps?  Thanks :)

Deborah
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
If you have a smart phone, just go to the market place and search for "white noise".  Otherwise, here is a website that plays white noise for free:

http://simplynoise.com/

Volume and sound options are at the top of the page.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »

For "noise", I've actually plugged in headphones and gone here:  http://naturesoundsfor.me/   You can enjoy a nice day at the beech, with windchimes, gulls, crickets, etc.
....a nice thunderstorm.....camp fire, etc. 

There's also a number of iPhone apps that do the same such as:  Nature Sound, Sleepmaker, etc.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria