OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:20:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting on floor during Divine Liturgy  (Read 2675 times) Average Rating: 0
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:38 AM »

Just curious about this having worshipped in numerous Orthodox parishes all over including Europe but recently attended a "non-ethnic" all convert Antiochian Orthodox church on Pascha and found it strange that during the reading of the Epistle, the sermon and even the pascal sermon of St John Chrysostom just about everyone quickly and in unison sat on the floor.  Where does this come from?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »

Laziness

Joseph
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:22:02 AM »

Count me confused... the only time I can remember sitting on the floor during a service was during a sermon given in a parish without pews...  Huh
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:22:22 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Stephen St. Pierre

Faith: Inquirer to Eastern Orthodoxy

This user has been banned.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:26:28 AM »

All rise!
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:26:37 AM »

In most churches in the UK, regardless of ethnicity, people sit for the Epistle and sermon (this is less likely amongst the Russians but still done) so I suppose if there aren't enough seats the floor is the next best place. It certainly happens every week during the sermon (but not Epistle) in the Orthodox Church in Edinburgh which has umpteen nationalities. There is something nice (to me) about seeing people sitting at the priest's feet while he's teaching, I guess it reminds me of Paul at the feet of Gameliel Smiley

Margaret
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:51 AM »

Just curious about this having worshipped in numerous Orthodox parishes all over including Europe but recently attended a "non-ethnic" all convert Antiochian Orthodox church on Pascha and found it strange that during the reading of the Epistle, the sermon and even the pascal sermon of St John Chrysostom just about everyone quickly and in unison sat on the floor.  Where does this come from?

Itching legs.

I also sometimes sit on floor on sermons, especially when I'm in home city because they last ≈ 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:47:34 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »

Just curious about this having worshipped in numerous Orthodox parishes all over including Europe but recently attended a "non-ethnic" all convert Antiochian Orthodox church on Pascha and found it strange that during the reading of the Epistle, the sermon and even the pascal sermon of St John Chrysostom just about everyone quickly and in unison sat on the floor.  Where does this come from?
Cleaner carpets and rugs.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »

Still seems strange and somewhat like muslims or buddhists or hindus praying, I still do not think anyone would be sitting on the floor in any Slavic church, besides most churches in Europe had stone floors not carpeting like the US.
Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »

Just curious about this having worshipped in numerous Orthodox parishes all over including Europe but recently attended a "non-ethnic" all convert Antiochian Orthodox church on Pascha and found it strange that during the reading of the Epistle, the sermon and even the pascal sermon of St John Chrysostom just about everyone quickly and in unison sat on the floor.  Where does this come from?

Itching legs.

I also sometimes sit on floor on sermons, especially when I'm in home city because they last ≈ 30 minutes.

Whoa! A whole half an hour? That is a long time to stand! (Sarcasm)

I thought that Orthodox stood. No pews. If you're physically able get up! The earliest known Liturgy lasted about five hours, but around A.D. 400 St. Basil edited it down to about half that (all standing). St. John Chrysostom later reduced it down even more, to about one and a quarter to one and a half hours (still standing).

Seems to me the Protestants came up with this sitting business. Why should Orthodox conform? We are supposed to conform them to our ways aren't we?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

Still seems strange and somewhat like muslims or buddhists or hindus praying, I still do not think anyone would be sitting on the floor in any Slavic church, besides most churches in Europe had stone floors not carpeting like the US.

Uninformed Westerners say the same thing about prostrations, though.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »

I really do not want to turn this into another pews topic since we have two of those already.

What I think you are experiencing here is a want to be "traditional" and not have the pews but, a lack of knowledge or proper ethos to understand that the lack of pews means a different standard in participation. Even though there are no pews the people are still acting as if they have pews.

Joseph
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »

In my parish most people stand except for the elderly, the infirm, and some small children. As for sitting on the floor, I'll pass. Not that I'm in bad shape, but it's just awkward trying to get up. On top of that, it would wrinkle my suit. I always feel a bit awkward attending a parish where the people sit, as I'm not used to that. The most awkward I felt was at a parish where everyone knelt before Communion. I know it's best to follow "When in Rome....",  but I was taught kneeling on Sundays was a big no-no. Not trying to be legalistic, or judgmental, but that weird-ed me out a bit.

Just my two cents worth, as I'm in no way interested in a pew discussion.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:21:30 PM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »

Seems to me the Protestants came up with this sitting business. Why should Orthodox conform? We are supposed to conform them to our ways aren't we?

While pews are a recent innovation, sitting is a traditional Orthodox practice. We find a passage in St. John Cassian, for example, which mentions it being the common custom of even monks to sit during some services (Institutes, 2, 5). It's not anathema to sit, it's just a question of when we are taking sitting too far and letting the desire for comfort to rule over us.
Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »

While pews are a recent innovation, sitting is a traditional Orthodox practice. We find a passage in St. John Cassian, for example, which mentions it being the common custom of even monks to sit during some services (Institutes, 2, 5). It's not anathema to sit, it's just a question of when we are taking sitting too far and letting the desire for comfort to rule over us.

Interesting. But I hardly think that one example makes it "a traditional Orthodox practice". I would have to say that from what I've learned - standing is the norm.

Orthodox Christians worship standing for three reasons: out of respect for Christ the King, as a sign of the Resurrection (Christ has raised us up with Himself), and because worship is properly an active work of the people, not passive listening or entertainment.

The following expounds on this.

http://www.pravmir.com/article_1126.html

“All the congregation of Israel stood” (II Chronicles 6:2)

St.Augustine, when discussing standing in church, says only those who are afflicted of their legs by old age or sickness should sit during worship. The healthy should stand. He says: “Thus, I ask you noble daughters, and implore you with fatherly concern, that none of you should sit during readings or homilies, unless a profound weakness of the body forces you to do so..”.

“We are all concelebrants in this heavenly worship. We all are participants in this angelic worship around the Throne of God. This is precisely why we stand for worship. We come together to worship with one voice in the presence of God. Scripturally speaking, the two postures for worship are on one’s face in prostration or standing with faces turned towards the great I AM with arms outstretched”.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »

Inquirers aren't in the "we" caste, and catechumens are, but theirs is the quiet "we" caste. They are only allowed to speak up about things after being Orthodox for a minimum of seven holy years. Read the obscure canons to fuel your penchant for strictness!

Excessive vulgarity removed. -PtA

You've been warned a number of times before to not use such gross vulgarity on the public forum. For continuing to do so in spite of our warnings you are receiving this warning to last for the next 60 days. If, during the time of this warning, you continue to post such vulgarities, you will be placed on post moderation. If you think this action wrong, please appeal it via private message to Fr. George.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:05:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49:11 AM »

We sit during the Epistle reading and the homily. This is mostly so that people in the back can see than anything. The iconostasis and altar are slightly elevated so anything done up around them is clearly visible to everyone. The epistle reading and homily are done on the floor, no one could see anything if everyone stood. This also helps with sound distribution as well. No one is mic-ed so the difference in hearing is fairly large between when everyone stands or sits when the readings are done on the floor as opposed to up the steps near the iconostasis. We have a small Nave and around 150-200 people on any given Sunday. Bishop JOSEPH is pretty "old school" and he has no issue with this practice.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:07 AM »

As an additional note, we don't have pews in the main part of the Nave. We have a few pews along the edges, the rest is just floor. We do kneel during certain readings during Lent/Holy Week etc. We also do full prostrations when saying the Lenten prayer of St. Ephraim during Lent as well.
Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »

Inquirers aren't in the "we" caste, and catechumens are, but theirs is the quiet "we" caste. They are only allowed to speak up about things after being Orthodox for a minimum of seven holy years. Read the obscure canons to fuel your penchant for strictness!

Cry  Now you've gone and cut me to the quick! Cry

It's not about strictness but correctness. Can you define 'Orthodoxy'?

No caste for me... I'm full. I may only be just becoming a catechumen - but I believe I am a well-versed catechumen. Try me.

And I'll speak when I wish thanks. If I'm wrong just demonstrate that. Otherwise I think you should just go sit down. The floor is kind of hard though, maybe we you could use some bean bags or something? Cheesy No need to curse! Here, take one of these:

Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:32 AM »

We sit during the Epistle reading and the homily. This is mostly so that people in the back can see than anything. The iconostasis and altar are slightly elevated so anything done up around them is clearly visible to everyone. The epistle reading and homily are done on the floor, no one could see anything if everyone stood.

Thanks,

Short people in front, tall people in the back. What do we they really need to see anyway though? They need to hear. People go to rock concerts, etc which are 3 hours plus and stand the whole time but we people need to sit in Church?

This also helps with sound distribution as well. No one is mic-ed so the difference in hearing is fairly large between when everyone stands or sits when the readings are done on the floor as opposed to up the steps near the iconostasis. We have a small Nave and around 150-200 people on any given Sunday. Bishop JOSEPH is pretty "old school" and he has no issue with this practice.

Seems to me that these same 'issues' which lead to a 'need' for sitting would also have existed 500, 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 yrs ago as well. Yet they all always stood - didn't they? Regardless, people will do whatever they wish. Me? I'll stand.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 05:50:05 AM »

besides most churches in Europe had stone floors not carpeting like the US.

Western Churches - yes, the Orthodox have carpets.

I still do not think anyone would be sitting on the floor in any Slavic church,

I'm sorry.

edit:

http://pithlessthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/12/orthograph-7-monastic-advice.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:41:54 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »

Cry  Now you've gone and cut me to the quick! Cry

It's not about strictness but correctness.
Seriously, have you thought that, with you, it may be about both? You seem to want to be rather strict in your practice of correctness.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:52:38 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »

I still do not think anyone would be sitting on the floor in any Slavic church

Finnish church is a Slavic church and we sit on the floor/carpets during sermons provided that there aren't any seats on pews left.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:28:59 AM by Alpo » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »

Sitting during certain parts of the services is actually ancient practice. Read the Desert Fathers--they often sat at times in church services, on mats on the floor, too.

There is such a thing as the "super correctness syndrome," which is the ruin of many converts since it is a form of demonic delusion.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »

Lack of pews?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

No caste for me... I'm full. I may only be just becoming a catechumen - but I believe I am a well-versed catechumen. Try me.

What year did St. Basil the Great die? Tongue
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

Don't ask anything that can be checked in the Wikipedia.

My question: What should the Priest do when a drunk parishioner starts to vomit during the DL?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »

I asked that question because he already got it wrong earlier in the thread Wink
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »

What about greek, middle eastern, or western rite Orthodox churches? Is this a matter of the substance of our faith, or how that substance is expressed?

Melodist
Archon

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »

standing with faces turned towards the great I AM with arms outstretched”.

The only time I have ever seen anyone stand that long "with arms outstretched" was in boot camp.

Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 01:29:18 PM »

In My "traditional" ROCOR parish where practices generally will pass the "correctness" meter many do sit on the floor (as we have no pews) during the sermons. The sermons are usually no more the 7-8 minutes.

I understand the zealousness that would bring a new Orthodox inquirer to want to see everything in the Church in a "correct" fashion but from personal experience these small things really are not that important.  Focus on your personal salvation and all will be good.

"Bound up with this is a disease of today's Orthodox Christians which can be deadly: the 'correctness disease.' . . . If you are critical of others, self-confident about your correctness, eager to quote canons to prove someone else is wrong, constantly 'knowing better' than others--you have the germs of the 'correctness disease.' These are signs of immaturity in spiritual life . . ." Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:30:02 PM by Michael L » Logged
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »

In my OCA parish only children may sit on the floor. Adults may us a bench that surrounds the perimeters of the Temple. Lots of people stand because there is no sitting space.

As-Salamu alaykum!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:42:25 PM by zekarja » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 02:02:55 PM »

We sit during the Epistle reading and the homily. This is mostly so that people in the back can see than anything. The iconostasis and altar are slightly elevated so anything done up around them is clearly visible to everyone. The epistle reading and homily are done on the floor, no one could see anything if everyone stood.

Thanks,

Short people in front, tall people in the back. What do we they really need to see anyway though? They need to hear. People go to rock concerts, etc which are 3 hours plus and stand the whole time but we people need to sit in Church?

This also helps with sound distribution as well. No one is mic-ed so the difference in hearing is fairly large between when everyone stands or sits when the readings are done on the floor as opposed to up the steps near the iconostasis. We have a small Nave and around 150-200 people on any given Sunday. Bishop JOSEPH is pretty "old school" and he has no issue with this practice.

Seems to me that these same 'issues' which lead to a 'need' for sitting would also have existed 500, 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 yrs ago as well. Yet they all always stood - didn't they? Regardless, people will do whatever they wish. Me? I'll stand.

I highly doubt that arranging people by size was done 2,000 years ago. I do know that being charitable was done, and has been ever since. You could attend a parish that gets everything right but in actuality everything is wrong because being right is more important that behaving right.

The only perfect churches are the ones without people. Sky down on the catechumen zealousness over non-essentials.
Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

It's not about strictness but correctness.
Seriously, have you thought that, with you, it may be about both? You seem to want to be rather strict in your practice of correctness.

Yes, I guess you have a point there. There really is no such thing as "sort of" correct. Correctness is strict by definition. 2+2=3.93 is simply not correct. Only 4 would be strictly correct. I suppose what we're actually discussing here is Orthopraxy.

My question: What should the Priest do when a drunk parishioner starts to vomit during the DL?

Instruct someone to get a bucket?

I asked that question because he already got it wrong earlier in the thread Wink

Well, I guess I deserved that; we are discussing "super-correctness"! But to be fair my post does read "around A.D. 400". Still - point taken.

standing with faces turned towards the great I AM with arms outstretched”.

The only time I have ever seen anyone stand that long "with arms outstretched" was in boot camp.

Well I would argue that just proves how much things have changed. Wink

In My "traditional" ROCOR parish where practices generally will pass the "correctness" meter many do sit on the floor (as we have no pews) during the sermons. The sermons are usually no more the 7-8 minutes.

I understand the zealousness that would bring a new Orthodox inquirer to want to see everything in the Church in a "correct" fashion but from personal experience these small things really are not that important.  Focus on your personal salvation and all will be good.

"Bound up with this is a disease of today's Orthodox Christians which can be deadly: the 'correctness disease.' . . . If you are critical of others, self-confident about your correctness, eager to quote canons to prove someone else is wrong, constantly 'knowing better' than others--you have the germs of the 'correctness disease.' These are signs of immaturity in spiritual life . . ." Hieromonk Seraphim Rose

I see what you mean; perhaps I am slightly guilty of this - but I think not so much. We're not in Church; we're just discussing things in a (generally) friendly way.

If the sermons are only 7 or 8 minutes - it should be easy to remain standing for that long!

I am not really trying to be critical of others any more than they are being critical of me. I am talking about practice not people. I would never say to someone in Church, "You really should be standing you know!" but I think that's different from us discussing the matter here in an informal setting. In Church I do my thing and I don't worry about what others do. But here and now, I have an opinion which I'm entitled to.

I didn't make these things up... the Church has always done them for the most part up until the last few centuries.

The only perfect churches are the ones without people. Sky down on the catechumen zealousness over non-essentials.

There are plenty of Churches which don't sit. They have plenty of people. How is quoting what a Saint and father of the Church has written classed as "zealousness" - as if it's a bad thing? Being correct is good! Was St.Augustine too zealous? Or is he a Saint because of his Orthodoxy and his zeal?

The Christian must not become sluggish (lazy), but be a zealous follower of those who ″inherit the promises″ because the growth of the virtues makes the laziness go away.

Michał Kalina, here's my version:

Cheesy Cheesy
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »

We sit during the homily only. There are pews and some people sit the whole time even during the "wrong" parts such as the Gospel reading but these are mostly new people and kids. The regs usually stand the whole time (though I'm not sure I'm a reg yet.) and it makes no matter if others wanna sit. If someone wants to stand the whole time and say that we should stand the whole time I have no problem with that either. There's only an issue if they're judging people and how do I know what they're doing in their head? All I can guard against are outright judging statements. This forum has a tendency I feel to jump on the people who want to stick to the letter of the law or simply state what the 'ideal' situation is. One can state what the right/ideal thing to do is without being holy-than-thou.

Pews/sitting/whatever aren't a big deal, but neither is not wanting any of it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:30:04 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »

Well, I guess I deserved that; we are discussing "super-correctness"! But to be fair my post does read "around A.D. 400". Still - point taken.

I know, I know, I was just picking at you. Smiley 
Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 11:34:51 PM »

I know, I know, I was just picking at you. Smiley 

Cheesy      Cheesy       Cheesy
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »

"I still do not think anyone would be sitting on the floor in any Slavic church..."

That may be because in parts of Eastern Europe there's a rather foolish belief that if someone sits on the floor they'll become sterile from the cold :-). God knows I yearned to sit on the floor during the homily when I lived in Russia and Ukraine - waking up early in the morning to trek 45 minutes to an hour to church and then stand for 3 to 4 hours can be a bit much sometimes :-).

In my Russian heritage OCA parish we sit on the floor during the homily. (People who need to can sit on the wall benches during the epistle or whenever.) Of the two Russians who regularly attend the services at our parish one, a woman born right after the Bolshevik Revolution who escaped abroad during World War II and still thinks the ROCOR was wrong to reconcile with Moscow, doesn't think anything of it. The other, a Soviet woman only recently returned to church life, thinks it's ridiculous. Go figure :-).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:26:20 PM by kijabeboy03 » Logged

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »

Those that sit on the floor are usually the same people that also inhabit  some fourth century fantasy land or maybe pre-Hastings England and say "Amen" at the epiklesis.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »

"Those that sit on the floor are usually the same people that also inhabit  some fourth century fantasy land or maybe pre-Hastings England and say "Amen" at the epiklesis."

I'm extremely grateful I live in the 21st century, I'm much more Dutch and Irish than English (tho' I do love tea ;-) ), and I don't say amen at the epiclesis. (The people in my area who do, and who also read all the secret prayers out loud, are either Romanian or Greek Orthodox.)

That's quite the condemnation for people takin' a back brake during the sermon :-).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:50:31 AM by kijabeboy03 » Logged

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »

Haha. In a certain place, even if there is still  seating along the walls, on the chairs, there are certain uberpious folks that would sit on the floor, thinking it's somehow "more eastern". They also gush out a loud pious sometimes teary amen at the epiklesis. i've seen none back home do that.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »

Me either - they just beat up black people in the streets ;-).

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »

I sit on the floor when there are no seats left, not because it is some pious thing, but because my legs are tired and I want to rest them and concentrate on what the priest is saying. I would think it would be more pretentious to stand there when everyone else is sitting down. That would be posturing. I just go along with what the others do.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:23:03 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »

Me either - they just beat up black people in the streets ;-).
In your hometown?
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »

I always assumed people did it when they ran out of room on the back seats. I don't sit though, I'm just a bit more pious than others, not to mention I'm serving in the altar and don't want my imperial vestments getting filthy. All that really annoys me is when people say "amen" during the sermon, it reminds of certain Protestant environments. Saying it during the epiclesis doesn't bother me, especially since I'm one of those people. I think you have a different experience of it, because people don't act all emotional when saying it at my church. Everyone says it plainly and in unison without disrupting the orderliness of the service.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:37:42 PM by antiderivative » Logged

signature
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 05:37:56 PM »

Sticking out is the weird thing, I think. If I'm at a church where everyone sits down at certain parts, as a guest I'll sit too. If I was there all the time, then I might stand off to the side. It seems odd to me when people continue to stand right in the middle of everyone else sitting, like it's some kind of a challenge because they're more holy than everyone else. Of course I guess that's me judging and getting my mind off track.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »

They also gush out a loud pious sometimes teary amen at the epiklesis.
I think that might make me uncomfortable.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »

I guess I could learn to live with sitting on the floor, if our church were to ever revert to a non-pew arrangement. However, I guess I'll have to look for an even longer skirt- I don't relish the first 'cold floor' moment when I sit down.  Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »

I guess I could learn to live with sitting on the floor, if our church were to ever revert to a non-pew arrangement. However, I guess I'll have to look for an even longer skirt- I don't relish the first 'cold floor' moment when I sit down.  Wink

In my parish, most sit for the sermon. Otherwise, we stand, unless there's a serious health reason not to. Except for Sunday Liturgy, our choir stands in front of the church, and this is an incentive to others to stay standing. Very, very few people sit, except as indicated above.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »

on the days i forgot my age and cycled for nearly an hour to get to church, i did a lot of sitting!
i thought collapsing suddenly from jelly-legs (gello-legs to you americans) might be disruptive.
 Wink
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »

In Orthodox worship we stand for worship. But in many parishes, you sit for the sermon. Technically this is actually a reversal of the ancient practice, where the person speaking would sit, and those listening would stand.

Personally, it doesn't matter too much, depending on how long the sermon typically is. At our parish, we sit on the floor, and our Priest has semi-long sermons (but they are always wonderful!). Some people do remain standing though...

Of course, it still applies that if one cannot stand, then they should sit, but if you are physically able, then you should. (this is especially true during Lent, when the longer services, standing and many prostrations are made to make us feel some discomfort)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:40:51 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

In my parish the more pious and spiritually advanced stand on one foot on pillars, with their Spiritual Father's blessing.
Like you can see in Bunuel's movie "Simon of the Desert".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:13:02 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »

In my parish the more pious and spiritually advanced stand on one foot on pillars, with their Spiritual Father's blessing.
Do they bind themselves up with barbed wire, too? I'm amazed this isn't more widely known!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »

Romanians standing in church Huh I thought they were a kneeling people.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: