OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father Gabriel of Mtskheta  (Read 3728 times) Average Rating: 0
frost

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian, grew up in OCA

« on: December 15, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »

Dear Friends:

Several members of the forum have previously asked me for information about Father Gabriel of Tbilisi and Mtskheta, Georgia's modern day saint. Mama Gabrieli (Father Gabriel in Georgian) was a confessor for the faith, a prophet, a fool for Christ, and a miracle owrker. He reposed on November 2, 1995.

Rustavi Television reporter, Maia Asatiani,  last week featured Father Gabriel on her "Profiles" program. The video of the program can be found at the Rustavi2 web-site.

http://rustavi2.com/news/programs_ru.php?l=68

Unfortunatley, there is not an English translation of the program; but I will try to see if one can be found.

Ms Asatiani interviews Frather Gabriel's disciple, Mother Paraskeva, Bishop Seraphim of Borjomi, Father Gabriel's survising sister and others who knew Father Gabriel during his life. Even without translation, you can see the love Father Gabriel inspired. The program includes Faher Gabriel's own voice recounting the time when he set fire to the portraits of Lenin, and Marx during the annual May Day Parade, calling to the people: " Let us worship Christ, not these dogs of Satan! " - an act for which he was beaten and left for dead, his skull broken into 4 peices with nearly all his bones broken. There are numerous pictures of Father Gabriel and the church he built to house icons he rescued during the communist era.

One of the striking features of Father Gabriel's personality was his humor, so unexpected in one so fearless and absorbed in God. On one occasion, someone was being too reverential. Father Gabriel grabbed a barrel hoop and held it over his head, saying. "You want to see a halo, well here it is, the only one I have!" On another occasion, a Georgian gangster, Ioseliani, came to Father Gabriel for a blessing. Father Gabriel grabbed a stick and started beating him: "This is the only blessing you'll get from me!" My wife actually heard Father Gabriel re-tell the story laughing all the time. Imagine a sick old monk using an old tree branch to drive off a major gangster with his AK-47 armed guards!

Father Gabriel had the gift of prophecy. In March and April 1989, he spent weeks ringing chruch bells and crying "Georgia will be filled with blood!" This was just before Soviet troops surrounded protesters in Lenin Square and fired on them, killing dozens of young people on April 9,1989. That very day, my own wife had seen Father Gabriel in Sioni Cathedral frantic and almost crazed, pleading with God for mercy, and cursing King Erekle (the 16th century king who made a mutual defense pact with Russia - the pact was later used by Russia to annex Georgia).

At the end of the program, several families are interviewed and describe miraculous interventions through Father Gabriel's prayers. One boy with cerebral palsy was able to walk for the first time after visiting Father Gabriel's grave. Two girls are cured from being mute, and two families are cured of infertility - the children are sititng with their parents. There are entire booklets now published with accounts of miracles attributed to Father Gabriel. Father Gabriel's unswerving confession and courage are a great encouragement to all Georgian Christians during these trying times.  A very uplifitng program. Enjoy.

Francis Frost

One of our friends is writing a biography of Father Gabriel, which we hope to print next year.

Francis Frost
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:51:49 AM »

I don't recall where I read about Fr Gabriel, maybe it was in either the Road to Emmaus Orthodox Journal or The Orthodox Word.  A truly inspiring story!
Fr. Gabriel, pray for us.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »

Thank you, Mr Frost!

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
ativan
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:49 AM »

I am a new member of this forum. God bless us all. I found this website through a search on google.com. Fr. Gabriel was really great saint (he's not canonized yet but in Georgia, where I'm from, people don't doubt it). I wish I could share amazing stories about him. I have couple books which is about memories of him. Truly inspiring stories. He was great vessel of the Holy Spirit.

Elder Gabirel - this is a website that has some information about him (Some of his teachings and memories).

I read stories about him from time to time. If anybody's interested I can translate and share some stories.

God bless us all

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:48 AM »

Welcome, Ativan.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:05 AM »

Welcome!

Please share some stories about Fr. Gabriel.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:47:16 AM »

Welcome!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:58:45 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  Smiley

When you have the time to do so, please share as many stories as you can about Elder Gabriel.  Thank you.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:42:38 AM »

Thank you all and God bless you

It's getting a little late here but I can't resist writing couple stories. First There are stories from lay people as well as monks, nuns and presbyters/bishops. There are stories that tell about his prophetic and other sainthood related powers (such as miraculous healings, seeing through man's soul and so on). They all come from reliable source. And then there are stories that are real lessons. I will write both types from time to time.

One day this great monk gave a Eucharist service. Certain people coming out of church threw stones at a dog. Father said "was much better for them if they did not take communion".

One they he asked a layman to do something for him. This layman said at this time he could not do it, since he had to attend some business. Father Gabriel said to (when that man left) to people: "Now that man is going to go home and pray. But this is one of the times when prayer will be a sin for a man." In short his most important teaching was that (as one of the apostles said) faith without good and kind work was dead. He always stressed doing good work. He once told perish this: "This is who can enter the Kingdom of God: say you have a sick kin laying in bed who desperately needs medicine. But the medicine is far away and you have to go though jungles full of wolves. Now you if  decide to do that and you go directly into heaven."

One novice monk (in russian "poslushnik" and in Georgian "morchili") asked him what fasting was. Father Gabriel started to tell him all his sins he has committed in his life. The novice fell down crying. Then, all of a sudden, Saint changed his facial expression, smiled to the novice and said: "come it some food". Novice refused saying he could not do it, he was feeling bad. Then Father Gabriel said to him "that is fasting, when crying from remembering your sins you don't even think about the food."

i will post more stories

God bless you all
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 06:03:51 AM »

There's another Holy Man in Georgia right now. His name is Father George. A lot of people come to him and they feel the grace that radiates around him. He's been visited by many including people from other parts of the world. He was once asked about Father Gabriel: "Why Father Gabriel would say sometimes that I'm alpha and omega?" Father George said: "You did not recognize him. Through him God himself was talking"

Father Gabriel was asked one time by a layman: "If I have only money left for the road when I'm on the road, should I give it to the poor?" Holy Man answered: "In the Gospel it is said, if you have 2 cloaks give out one. But it does not say to give out you last cloak. If you gave out your last money and you went on you road and something bad happened to you, you will be responsible before The Lord. This is only the business of monks and nuns. It does not pertain to lay people".

Holy Man was asked: "The Lord doesn't listen to my prayers"
He answered: "Do you deserve to be listened to? The Lord listens your prayers only if your prayers are followed by kind work. If your prayers are not followed by kindness than such a prayer is dead."

He was asked: "Who is my kin?"
Holy Father said: "every human being born is a kin of ours. If you offer even a glass of water to him/her (or to your kin) it will be remembered for your sake. Once in a desert a dog was dying from thirst. At this time a monk walked by who had saved last drops of water for him. But he offered this water to it and saved it. At this moment the sky opened up and loud voice said: whoever saved the dog from death all his sins will be pardoned. Then how great it is to save a fellow human!"

This one is, at least to me, interesting dialogue. Father Gabriel was asked: "Which dreams should I believe and trust?" He answered: "If you are in the Hell in you dreams then trust it. If you fly with angels do not trust it. The dream is from the Lord if it makes you think about you sins".

God bless you all. I'll try to post more some time later.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »

I recently visited Georgia (my home country) and spiritually it was one of the best things. Bought several books, one of those being new book about father Gabriel's teachings. The book title is "What Fr. Gabriel said". It basically contains Fr. Gabriel's teachings on very practical issues concerning Orthodox's lives. Some of the teachings I'll try to translate.

On mentioning God

God - deep and one. God is love. We should not mention His name without a reason, for example when talking about routine things concerning different problems. Only during prayer and during the time when we discuss very important things should we mention His name and with great respect should we do it.

If you have been called several times and turned around and saw nobody who needed you would you not get upset? Do not wish even to your enemy what is going to happen if the Creator of The universe will look upon him with wrathful eyes.

On leaving Orthodox faith and converting to a different faith

If somebody (clergy or otherwise) leaves Orthodox faith for any reason and converts to another faith we should have unshakably believe that he/she will not be saved even if he lived like a saint.

There's only one way out of this situation: great repentance and return to Mother Church.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:50 AM »

On judging heterodox (who will be saved and who won't)

Often Orthodox people will ask who will be saved and who will be not. We should not doubt and we should unshakably believe that Orthodoxy is the only true Religion. It is said for comparison that "We Orthodox sail in that ship which will pass through the raging ocean (or the distresses of the world) and will reach destination piece-fully. Others want to get there with happy life and without going though difficulties".

In spite of it it's wrong that true Orthodox faithful claims we will be saved but Catholics, Muslims or representatives of other faith will all be damned. How can it be possible that the Creator of the Universe would create millions of people without a way of salvation and sending them all to hell for eternal punishment? Imagine for a second if you were born in Istanbul without a possibility of  salvation what would you say about righteous judgment of the Creator? Don't they not have Kind and Good people along the evil ones? Of course they do. Do not think this does not matter. We should firmly believe that God will not leave without some way of salvation those who seek the truth and are God-fearing men. As folk wisdom says:

"Blessed Christ God
Seats on a Golden Throne
Holding scales of justice
weighing good and bad"

Often God will let such miracles on kind man that he gets baptized and becomes true Christian.

It is shameful and and it is sin when a man has no true love and has not truly repented but keeps asserting that Orthodox will be saved and all else will be damned. We can't make such statements and conclusions (whether a man will be saved or damned)  not only about a healthy living human but also about a sinful dying man.  The Lord says: "If you see a man on his deathbed do not judge for you know not how he will be judged".

Sin is one thing and hell is another. They are not the same. Also, salvation is one thing and heaven (or kingdom of heaven) is another. They are not the same. We should firmly believe that without baptism whoever has not put on Christ's light will not see The Kingdom of God. We (Orthodox) are given more and thus we are required more.

There's a saying of Holy Fathers: "Three things will surprise saved man in heaven: first that he is there; second that he will see those who he did not expect and third that he won't see those who he was expecting to see".

God forbid us to judge any man, not to say judging whole country and whole nation.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »

Fr. Gabriel was still little child when he built a small cell out of bricks in his yard and he started to live in that cell since then. He did not put there even a bed to sleep on. One day his mother saw his cell and she was concerned about him. She decided to bring at least a pillow in his cell. When little Gabriel saw the pillow he got angry and told his mother: "How did you dare to enter my cell without permission? The Lord Jesus Christ was so poor that he did not even have place to lay down".

Another inspiring episode: In his twenties he started to build a church in his backyard. He was building it (and he did built it) alone without help. This was the time of persecution when Godless communists would try to destroy everything sacred. So one they heard about it they sent police (Milicia of that time). When the Saint saw them he (without first hearing their orders) told them: "No, I'm not going to take it down by myself". Police got scared since Fr. Gabriel knew their intention. So they left and brought workers to destroy the church. The Saint told them "Who gives orders sin more then those who obey orders". They were afraid too much at this point and left him alone. So he was able to finish building his church.

Here's the church in its initial look:

Here's the church picture of recent times:

The words on the left say: "Glory to the God of Heaven"

This picture is an image of the sanctuary of the church:

Another inspiring story is this (which is told by his neighbor with whom Fr. Gabriel attended daycare): "We attended the same daycare. I don't remember that our teacher ever reprimanded him. He would always sit in a corner and he would built small churches with the match-sticks. This was the only hobby of his. I can't remember what days it were but those days he would not eat milk products. It was the time of famine and everybody would be surprised how he would keep going without food. He already ate very little and always left some part of his share of food".

P.S. Such a great Saint he was from the very childhood. Father Gabriel pray for us.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »

Another inspiring episode: In his twenties he started to build a church in his backyard. He was building it (and he did built it) alone without help. This was the time of persecution when Godless communists would try to destroy everything sacred. So one they heard about it they sent police (Milicia of that time). When the Saint saw them he (without first hearing their orders) told them: "No, I'm not going to take it down by myself". Police got scared since Fr. Gabriel knew their intention. So they left and brought workers to destroy the church. The Saint told them "Who gives orders sin more then those who obey orders". They were afraid too much at this point and left him alone. So he was able to finish building his church.
I recall that in Munich after WWII a displaced Russian Orthodox priest built a a makeshift Church out of what materials he could gather.  It developed into a parish.  When Munich got the Olympics:
SOMETHING SACRED

One of the individual's rare conquests in the spirit vs. the system battle is occurring in Munich where the 1972 Olympic Games complex will be constructed around a church that has been built by hand by an 87-year-old Russian hermit, Father Timofey Prokorov. Fleeing in front of the Russian army, Father Timofey and a companion, who is known as Sister Natasha, arrived in Munich in 1945 and asked city authorities for a loan of a plot of land, no matter how un-arable or inaccessible. They were offered a barren 3,500-square-meter plot near a dump of rubble.

Within a few seasons Father Timofey had cherry, apple, apricot and pear trees bearing fruit. His potato patch was excellent, and his sunflowers were doing nicely. Beehives were set among the tulips and lilacs. And gradually buildings began to grow, too: first a small hut, then a tiny chapel crowned with an onion-shaped steeple, then another hut and finally the church itself, which astonished experts now consider a true work of primitive art. Its onion-shaped steeples are fashioned of wire and burlap, the Russian crosses topping them are of lattice wood, and the bells that chime three times a day are iron girders suspended on wire. Inside, the multivaulted ceiling is surfaced with aluminum foil and studded with chandeliers. Numerous decorations give the impression of gay Byzantine wealth.

Three months ago city officials ordered that the land be cleared to make way for the Olympic stadiums. But the architect chosen to draw the plans for the complex heard of the hermitage and went to visit Father Timofey. Struck by the sincerity of the man and impressed with the artistic value of the church, he revised the original plans—which would have made the church site a parking lot. The small huts where the two aged people live will be replaced by more comfortable, Russian-style houses. But the chapel and church will remain just as they are and will certainly rank as a major Olympic attraction.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081207/index.htm

The hermits were helped by a German law banning the destruction of Churches.  Makes the accomplishment of St. Gabriel all more the remarkable, given the Soviet hostility.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:47:27 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »

These are some wonderful stories. I would very much like to visit Georgia some day, it is a very beautiful country.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

I recall that in Munich after WWII a displaced Russian Orthodox priest built a a makeshift Church out of what materials he could gather.  It developed into a parish.  When Munich got the Olympics:
SOMETHING SACRED

One of the individual's rare conquests in the spirit vs. the system battle is occurring in Munich where the 1972 Olympic Games complex will be constructed around a church that has been built by hand by an 87-year-old Russian hermit, Father Timofey Prokorov. Fleeing in front of the Russian army, Father Timofey and a companion, who is known as Sister Natasha, arrived in Munich in 1945 and asked city authorities for a loan of a plot of land, no matter how un-arable or inaccessible. They were offered a barren 3,500-square-meter plot near a dump of rubble.

Within a few seasons Father Timofey had cherry, apple, apricot and pear trees bearing fruit. His potato patch was excellent, and his sunflowers were doing nicely. Beehives were set among the tulips and lilacs. And gradually buildings began to grow, too: first a small hut, then a tiny chapel crowned with an onion-shaped steeple, then another hut and finally the church itself, which astonished experts now consider a true work of primitive art. Its onion-shaped steeples are fashioned of wire and burlap, the Russian crosses topping them are of lattice wood, and the bells that chime three times a day are iron girders suspended on wire. Inside, the multivaulted ceiling is surfaced with aluminum foil and studded with chandeliers. Numerous decorations give the impression of gay Byzantine wealth.

Three months ago city officials ordered that the land be cleared to make way for the Olympic stadiums. But the architect chosen to draw the plans for the complex heard of the hermitage and went to visit Father Timofey. Struck by the sincerity of the man and impressed with the artistic value of the church, he revised the original plans—which would have made the church site a parking lot. The small huts where the two aged people live will be replaced by more comfortable, Russian-style houses. But the chapel and church will remain just as they are and will certainly rank as a major Olympic attraction.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081207/index.htm

The hermits were helped by a German law banning the destruction of Churches.  Makes the accomplishment of St. Gabriel all more the remarkable, given the Soviet hostility.
That's wonderful story. As Saintly King of Old Testament, David, says "Know also that the Lord hath made wondrous His holy one;"

Thanks to the author of this thread Francis Frost. He has mentioned shortly one story when Fr. Gabriel set fire to the portraits of Lenin during the annual May Day Parade. He was imprisoned and on interrogation, when he was asked why he did it, he told police: "This I did because you should put up Crucifixion there instead of Lenin's portrait. You can't glorify earthly man; why does it have inscription "Glory to Lenin"? A man does not need Glory. Instead you should write "Glory to Christ God"". When he said that they doubted his mental health and sent him over to psychiatric hospital. I really found it amusing what doctors of that time wrote in his chart for diagnosis. This is the conclusion of the diagnosis in the chart: "...diagnosis: phsychopathic personality prone to schizophreniform psychotic episodes... mumbles for himself at low voice; believes in existance of Heavenly Being, God, Angels. During conversation the main content of the talk is always directed towards idea that everything exists and happens due to the Mercy of God. Stays always alone but if somebody talks to him he will definitely mentions God, Angels, Icons" Smiley

BTW spiritual fathers of Fr. Gabriel were now saints (they are newly canonized several years ago) St. Ioanze Maisuradze and St. Giorgi Mkheidze both of Monastery of Bethany. These two saints were great Holy Man per Fr. Gabriel. Fr. Gabriel prophecies that before he is canonized Frs. Ioane and Giorgi of Betania will be canonized first. These 2 were canonized August 18 of 2003. Now Fr. Gabriel's canonization is ahead.

Betania Monastery

Sts. Ioane Maisuradze And Giorgi Mkheidze

Icons of Sts. Ioane Maisuradze And Giorgi Mkheidze
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:05:38 PM by ativan » Logged
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

More stories of father Gabriel.

One of his neighbor Gia Kobichashvili writes this: "We lived in the neighborhood of Fr. Gabriel's house. He would often encourage us, little boys, play with him. Then he would hand each one of us crosses and we would circle the Church of St. Barbara. One time he looked into my eyes with strangest expression and told me: always remember that God is! Hardly had he finished saying it that he fell and hit his head to the ground. Then he started waving his hands in silly way and behaved like a fool. He only said couple words to me but they were said with great faith and thus forever setting the love for God in my heart. In addition to this he gifted our family with an Icon of Savior. This Icon is encased with lockable frame. This happened in 70's. Since then if there's imminent danger to our family the Icon's frame will unlock and it will protect us from distress. For this we respectfully thank to the Lord and the giver of the Icon Fr. Gabriel".

Fr. Gabriel never judged anybody even those who hurt him, imprisoned him or inflicted any type of injury (spiritual or physical) onto him. The igumenia (see note 1) of Monastery of Samtavro (See note 2) writes: "Fr. Gabriel strictly forbade us to judge anybody preaching thus: 'If you find a murderer or a prostitute or a drunkard alcoholic dropped on the ground never judge him/her, never judge God-created man, since God has let their reins loose but holds you reins under control. If he lets you reins loose you will fall into worse distress and you will be destroyed. As a thread has to go through an eye of the needle one will go through the same sin for which one judged somebody else'".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:15:03 PM by ativan » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »

More stories of father Gabriel.

One of his neighbor Gia Kobichashvili writes this: "We lived in the neighborhood of Fr. Gabriel's house. He would often encourage us, little boys, play with him. Then he would hand each one of us crosses and we would circle the Church of St. Barbara. One time he looked into my eyes with strangest expression and told me: always remember that God is! Hardly had he finished saying it that he fell and hit his head to the ground. Then he started waving his hands in silly way and behaved like a fool. He only said couple words to me but they were said with great faith and thus forever setting the love for God in my heart. In addition to this he gifted our family with an Icon of Savior. This Icon is encased with lockable frame. This happened in 70's. Since then if there's imminent danger to our family the Icon's frame will unlock and it will protect us from distress. For this we respectfully thank to the Lord and the giver of the Icon Fr. Gabriel".

Fr. Gabriel never judged anybody even those who hurt him, imprisoned him or inflicted any type of injury (spiritual or physical) onto him. The igumenia (see note 1) of Monastery of Samtavro (See note 2) writes: "Fr. Gabriel strictly forbade us to judge anybody preaching thus: 'If you find a murderer or a prostitute or a drunkard alcoholic dropped on the ground never judge him/her, never judge God-created man, since God has let their reins loose but holds you reins under control. If he lets you reins loose you will fall into worse distress and you will be destroyed. As a thread has to go through an eye of the needle one will go through the same sin for which one judged somebody else'".

Can you please provide a link or source for these quotes?  - Serb1389. General Fora Moderator. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »

Can you please provide a link or source for these quotes?  - Serb1389. General Fora Moderator. 
If you have any particular quote in mind, please let me know. In general I provide these quotes from different sources but I started to quote from a new book about his teachings. In this post I pointed the title of the new book which translates into English roughly as "What Fr. Gabriel said". The book is printed in 2009 by the blessings of Archbishop Tadeos of Tianeti and Phshav-Khevsureti. This book does not describe any circumstances where those teachings were conveyed by the Saint. It is only collection of the teachings on may practical issues. In this thread I already quoted 3 times. They start with the word "On" which is in boldface (Like "On ..."). I will continue (if God wills) to quote from that book with the same general format. In between I will (if God wills) post from other sources and those will have some context with it, like I did last several times. Many of the stories are repeated in several books on Father Gabriel. There are several book on him in Georgian since he is Great Saint not just saint. They called him "The living Gospel of 20th century".

Here's another good (practical) teaching.

On UFOs, Humanoids and Being from other planets
In reality no UFOs, Humanoids or Extraterrestrials exist. They are another temptation of evil souls - devils.

Out of 666 snares of evil, laid for entrapment of humankind all over the world, it is one of the worst. The purpose is only one: During last times humankind burdened with sins Instead of  kneeling before God and asking help and hoping only in him will hope in illusionary extraterrestrials, so called humanoids, and will expect help from them.

Hidden evil souls can perform many pseudo-miracles. For a faithless person however educated he could be it will be impossible to not believe in the reality of something the he can see with his eyes and feel with his hands.

In reality hidden evil souls - devils - by the power of suggestion can appear in any form and any color before a man and converse with him.

There is one Patristic story. A new member of a monastery was not in complete obedience with his spiritual father. He would often leave his monastery without his Father's blessing. One day a devil appeared before him as a very beautiful woman. That happened in a woods. The novice (see below) could not resist temptation and since that day he would often visit the woman and live with her, in reality he was leaving with devil. But the novice would see her body as completely real.

Evil souls can also physically affect environment, for example they can leave tracks, liquid or hard substances in an environment and so on.

Many Holy Fathers prophesied that "during last days there will be 'miracles' from the sky and there will be worldwide apostasy". UFOs, extraterrestrials and humanoids are the biggest "miracles" from the sky. Indeed their deceptive and illusionary contacts with particular persons (through "curing" them or affect them otherwise) do serve the purpose of apostasy and separation of men from God.

P.S. In fact Georgian word for novice is "m-o-r-ch-i-l-i" which means somebody who obeys. Same root is in Russian words "p-o-s-l-u-sh-n-i-k".

P.P.S. In this post I planned to refer to notes (1 and 2) but forgot to write notes. So I'm adding those little notes here. 1) Igumenia is basically female Igumen (Or female "head-nun" of female monastery. I apologize if I put this info as unnecessary. I just don't know if there's such a word in English language. I do know though "Igumen" is known word; 2) Monastery of Samtavro is the monastery where father Gabriel was Igumen and schemarchimandrit. This is where Fr. Gabriel is burried. It is a female monastery. If God wills I'll tell later about this monastery which is very important monastery (important Holy Relics are saved here).
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »

If you have any particular quote in mind, please let me know. In general I provide these quotes from different sources but I started to quote from a new book about his teachings. In this post I pointed the title of the new book which translates into English roughly as "What Fr. Gabriel said". The book is printed in 2009 by the blessings of Archbishop Tadeos of Tianeti and Phshav-Khevsureti. This book does not describe any circumstances where those teachings were conveyed by the Saint. It is only collection of the teachings on may practical issues. In this thread I already quoted 3 times. They start with the word "On" which is in boldface (Like "On ..."). I will continue (if God wills) to quote from that book with the same general format. In between I will (if God wills) post from other sources and those will have some context with it, like I did last several times. Many of the stories are repeated in several books on Father Gabriel. There are several book on him in Georgian since he is Great Saint not just saint. They called him "The living Gospel of 20th century".

If you do plan on quoting from that book, then please put the complete bibliographical information, as if this is an essay that you are writing & you are quoting the book as a source in the essay (APA style, or whatever you are used to).  We ask this because of copyright laws, so hence the green text. 

Whenever you quote from the text, you can always put an "IBID" or "The Living Gospel" next to it.  BUT you DO need to at SOME POINT put the whole bibliographical info up so everyone can see that it is publicly posted. 

Make sense? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 11:48:42 PM »

Thank you ativan for sharing this with us.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »

If you do plan on quoting from that book, then please put the complete bibliographical information, as if this is an essay that you are writing & you are quoting the book as a source in the essay (APA style, or whatever you are used to).  We ask this because of copyright laws, so hence the green text. 

Whenever you quote from the text, you can always put an "IBID" or "The Living Gospel" next to it.  BUT you DO need to at SOME POINT put the whole bibliographical info up so everyone can see that it is publicly posted. 

Make sense?
Got it

The book I'm quoting for now is:

"What Fr. Gabriel said" by Otar Nikolaishvili
Publisher "Tbilisi", Published in 2009
ISBN 978-9941-0-1986-9

I think the story bellow is very interesting.

About old monastic rules recognizing saints

In old times people did great ascetic accomplishments. Many of them hid these accomplishments from others. There were some great Saints who became saints in their lives and who by their humbleness remained completely unnoticed by others.

In order not to miss amongst them those Saints who hid their holiness they had two boneyard (1). After a member of monastery died they would perform appropriate rite for dead, bring his body out of church the third day after death and put it in a temporary boneyard instead of burring him first. The dead member's body was examened for several days for any signs of corruption. If it was noticed in several days that body was corrupting they would bury him according to the rites.

In cases when no corruption was noticed for several weeks the body was moved to the second (main) boneyard. They observation was continued for several months. If during this time no corruption was noted on the body and it remained unchanged it was assumed that the person was God-chosen saint.

In such cases the cell of the monk would be opened and his letters were studied and examined. In cases when a monk did not think of himself worthy of writing theological treatises, since he was very humble,  his sayings and opinions about different issues were meticulously remembered. Being themselves cleansed by God they would canonize him as a saint and his advices were spread as official teachings.

This was the rule for every single member of monastery, including those members who were thought to be saints. They were some unexpected results (2) though.

God have mercy on us and save us by the prayers and grace of all saints.

Notes:

1) I don't know whether this is right term to use. Maybe the term is different but I'll note what I mean by this term of "boneyard". In monasteries they had places where bones of the members were collected on the ground as opposed under the ground. Georgian term for this place is "s-a-dz-v-a-l-e" which means "the place where bones are collected". It has the word "dz-v-a-l-i" (which means bone) as its root.

2) In the Georgian context it is not quite clear what type of unexpected results were observed: Those who were thought to be saints were not saints? Or those who were thought not to be saints were saints? Or both? I think Fr. Gabriel talks about both of these cases.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »

Thank you ativan for sharing this with us.
My pleasure, though All thanks and Glory to God and his saints full  of God's grace
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: