OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:44:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia prepares for census: will numbers of believers & atheists both grow?  (Read 3996 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »

The data from Australia's upcoming census is expected to reflect some interesting trends. In the last survey, in 2006, there was a jump in the numbers of atheists. However, there was also a rise in the numbers of Orthodox Christians, other churches and the Buddhist, Hindu and Muslim faiths.

From the article:
Across the whole population, 63.9 per cent identified as Christian, 5.6 per cent were non-Christian, 18.7 per cent had no religion, 11.2 per cent did not state their beliefs and 0.7 per cent of answers were inadequately described.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »

The data suggests that the generic "white people" are becoming either progressively more atheistic or hyper-Christian. The growth in the non-Christian religions (and even the "ethnic" expressions of Christianity) is almost entirely due to immigration.

It seems that lukewarm and the nominal Christians are disappearing, becoming either more zealous for Christian faith or embracing atheism and agnosticism.

Forigve my use of potentially offensive terms -- I haven't had my three cans of energy drink yet and I can't be politically correct without energy drink.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:12:31 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »

I personally am glad that lukewarm and nominal Christians aren't calling themselves Christians, in Australia.  I think that when you have a whole bunch of people who do nothing, or next to nothing, about their alleged faith, but still claim it, it keeps potential enquirers away because they see no difference in the lives of the "Christians" from the lives of the agnostics and atheists.  Of course, I would much prefer all of them become zealous for Christ - ideally in an Apostolic church (or The Church) - as opposed to leaving faith altogether.  I would hope they at least would adopt something like Judaism or Islam if they must leave the realm of what is commonly called Christianity.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 02:08:32 AM »

Religion by age in 2006 census

Forgive my sins.
Tags: Australia  census  demographics 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print