OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:07:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worshipping God, Venerating the Saints  (Read 304 times) Average Rating: 0
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »

And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!"
Revelation 19:10

I don't know alot about greek, so forgive me if I'm wrong.
But when I looked up the greek word for worship, I found that it is "Proskuneo," and from what I've read, this means to kiss the hand, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead to show reverence, to prostrate, etc.
Is this right? From what I've read, this word is used alot when the Gosepls tell us of how people "worshipped Jesus."
If this is the case, how is this any different from kissing or prostrating before holy icons?

Also, what is the real difference between veneration and worship? We sing, praise, glorify, prostrate, and pray to both God and the Saints, so what exactly is the difference?
I'm sorry for all these questions, but I seem to have hit some confusion.
Thanks for any insight.
God Bless!

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

The word proskuneo can be used for both actions, yes. The difference between worship and veneration lies in the target and the intent.

Revelation 19:10, as it was explained in another thread, was because priests are not to bow to other priests ("fellow servants") and they don't venerate during the liturgy (according to tradition, the vision came to Saint John while he was officiating the Divine Liturgy).

I hope I didn't mess that up.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:40:35 PM »

Also, what is the real difference between veneration and worship? We sing, praise, glorify, prostrate, and pray to both God and the Saints, so what exactly is the difference?

Worship of God is worship in its own right. We worship God because He is God.

Veneration is the honor paid to those holy people who have been glorified and are living the life of the Trinity.

I think it could be said that veneration is the worship of God in another person. Not worship by proxy, but actual worship of God in that person, because he/she has taken the life of the Trinity into themselves. They are infused with God. They have become god by grace in theosis.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: