OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How come wisdom is a woman??  (Read 713 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »

This is a section of a email explaining some things for me... what i want to know is....why is wisdom called Sophia?? and in proverbs it talks about wisdom being a woman so....how come is it a woman??

After the natural structure of the immortal beings had completely developed out of the infinite, a likeness then emanated from Pistis (Faith); it is called Sophia (Wisdom). It exercised volition and became a product resembling the primeval light. And immediately her will manifested itself as a likeness of heaven, having an unimaginable magnitude; it was between the immortal beings and those things that came into being after them, like [...]: she (Sophia) functioned as a veil dividing mankind from the things above.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »

The answer should be pretty obvious.  angel

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »

This is a section of a email explaining some things for me... what i want to know is....why is wisdom called Sophia?? and in proverbs it talks about wisdom being a woman so....how come is it a woman??

After the natural structure of the immortal beings had completely developed out of the infinite, a likeness then emanated from Pistis (Faith); it is called Sophia (Wisdom). It exercised volition and became a product resembling the primeval light. And immediately her will manifested itself as a likeness of heaven, having an unimaginable magnitude; it was between the immortal beings and those things that came into being after them, like [...]: she (Sophia) functioned as a veil dividing mankind from the things above.
The word Wisdom is feminine in the Semitic languages and Greek. Most abstracts are (I suspect because of the exasperation of men trying to figure women out).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »

Gender does not sex make.

Christ is the Wisdom of God.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »

haha... yeah but its nice to hear someone say it

No but why Sophia, is that a female name and a Greek word for Gods wisdom as well??
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »

Poppy, many languages attribute gender to all words. It does not imply they attribute a certain sex. This creates a tendency in artists to depict that particular concept with the sex corresponding to that gender, but not only with it.

For example, in Portuguese, rose is feminine and carnation is masculine. Computer is masculine, hd is feminine. Car is masculine, motorbike is feminine. And every single word besides conjunctions and certain pronouns have gender: example is masculine, the word "word" is feminine. The word "gender" is masculine. Salvation, cross, theosis, tomb, hypocrisy, envy, lust, gluttony are all feminine words. Miracle, Pentecost, bread, wine, suffering, are masculine words. And so on.

Likewise with Greek, Hebrew and many others. "Sophia" happens to be feminine. And one shouldn't read much more in that than that it is what social use determined through the centuries.

Of course some "mystics" will create metaphysical conspiracy theories to explain away plain social arbitrariness. True mystics will explain both how feminility can be wise (or not) and the same for masculinity.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »

The gender of a noun frequently has no bearing whether or not the word has any genitals.  Remember, in German a table is feminine but a young girl is neutral!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:04:28 PM by vamrat » Logged
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »

The word Sophia is "Wisdom" in Greek, and as explained above is feminine. The Gnostics, whose faith that email section seems to expound, personified a great deal of these words as Aeons, according to the gender of the word.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »

Why not call it Sophia?
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »

Well i didn't know that Sophia was a Greek word before it was a name of a girl
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »

Sophia means Wisdom, and was used as a name much like we might call someone Faith or Hope today. In fact, St. Sophia's children were Faith, Hope, and Love (Pistis, Elpis, and Agape in Greek.)

Qui cantat, bis orat
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »

The gender of a noun frequently has no bearing whether or not the word has any genitals.  Remember, in German a table is feminine but a young girl is neutral!

In Scots Gaelic the young of everything are male!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »

This   police

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

Originally all names were meaningful words that meant something. Ex. Herakles (Hercules) means "Hera's Glory." Oswald means "Divine Ruler." Just think of some popular Native American names, like Runningbear Comesatnight. Pretty much all names are like that, most people just don't realise it any more. laugh
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »

Originally all names were meaningful words that meant something. Ex. Herakles (Hercules) means "Hera's Glory." Oswald means "Divine Ruler." Just think of some popular Native American names, like Runningbear Comesatnight. Pretty much all names are like that, most people just don't realise it any more. laugh

"runningbear comesatnight" ....sounds like a freaking nightmare haha...

id have to be named sleepsinthecloset ಥ_ಥ
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: