OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the antidoron  (Read 547 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« on: July 13, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »

I am aware that the antidoron given to the faithful after the liturgy is from the bread which was blessed by the priest but not used in the Holy Communion. In terms of Scriptural parallels, is the antidoron considered to refer to the loaves and fishes, to manna in the desert, both of them or another case? I don't doubt its spiritual significance, I was just curious as to whether people like to relate it to certain verses more than others. Thank you.  Smiley
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »

I do know that in the Coptic rite that 5 loaves are processed to the altar before the Divine Liturgy and the reference to the Feeding of the Five Thousand is very clear.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »

I do know that in the Coptic rite that 5 loaves are processed to the altar before the Divine Liturgy and the reference to the Feeding of the Five Thousand is very clear.

How so? It has to be an odd number of loafs brought forward in the form of the cross, but not necessarily 5. Only the chosen Lamb is taken in procession around the altar, not the rest.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »

I have not heard it relates to anything but the Eucharist itself

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »

I am aware that the antidoron given to the faithful after the liturgy is from the bread which was blessed by the priest but not used in the Holy Communion. In terms of Scriptural parallels, is the antidoron considered to refer to the loaves and fishes, to manna in the desert, both of them or another case? I don't doubt its spiritual significance, I was just curious as to whether people like to relate it to certain verses more than others. Thank you.  Smiley
The Slavs underline it by using 5 loaves for the Proskomedia.  The practice of antiodon comes from discontinuing the practice of given the Faithful Eucharist to take home for during the week.  So the Eucharist connections-manna, multiplication of loaves, etc-is always present.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: antidoron  blessed bread 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: