OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:45:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missals  (Read 327 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: July 13, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »

The Roman Catholics have changed the Mass many times. I mean, they have used different during different times. Do the Orthodoxes change their Mass and wite new Missals (Litigical books)?

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »

The first Liturgy used in the Coptic Church (which I see you mention an interest in in your jurisdiction) was the Liturgy of St. Mark. Of course St. Mark wrote the Liturgy, but He and the other Apostles received at least the form of the Liturgy from Christ between the Resurrection and Ascension.

St. Cyril the Great (4th-5th century) revised St. Mark's Liturgy by translating it from Greek to Coptic, adding additional intercessions, and moving the intercessions earlier in the Liturgy (this was to allow catechumens to stay longer before being dismissed). This Liturgy is still commonly prayed today, usually during Lent.

The Liturgy of St. Basil (4th century) is the Liturgy used most frequently today in the Coptic Church. It follows the same basic form as the Liturgy of St. Mark, there is no radically reorganization here. However, when St. Mark wrote the Liturgy, the New Testament as we know it did not exist. St. Basil's Liturgy was described as "a patch-work of Scripture".

Both these Liturgies are addressed to God the Father.

The Liturgy of St. Gregory (5th century) expands some sections using the theological language that had developed by then, and is addressed to Christ. The form is still very similar though. This Liturgy is commonly used on feasts.

Many prayers are different between the three Liturgies, but at the same time they contain all of the same essential prayers.

There have been further additions to the Liturgy over the years, including more intercessions, rearrangements (at some point the offertory was moved from before the Anaphora to before the Liturgy of the Word), and additions. The core remains fairly unchanging, but it is a living tradition.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »

Except for the WRO DLs, I don't know of an Orthodox liturgy which has undergone any significant revision in the last thousand years.  Russia issued the Nikonian reforms (relatively minor), and Constantinople changed its Typikon in 1839, in line which what seems to have been parish practice for some time.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
vasily
Warned

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

To be picky. The Orthodox celebrate the Liturgy. We are Liturgical. The Orthodox services have not had any drastic or radical changes . The Latin Church has shortened services, in most  cases gives Communion under one species(unleavened bread), the Priest faces the congregation,and fasting is lax. Those are just some.

What is stopping you from becoming Orthodox?

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »

To be picky. The Orthodox celebrate the Liturgy. We are Liturgical. The Orthodox services have not had any drastic or radical changes . The Latin Church has shortened services, in most  cases gives Communion under one species(unleavened bread), the Priest faces the congregation,and fasting is lax. Those are just some.

What is stopping you from becoming Orthodox?

I really don't think that was the OP's question or concern.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: