OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incorrupt Non-Chalcedonian saints?  (Read 1562 times) Average Rating: 0
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: July 13, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »

In Eastern Orthodoxy, incorrupt relics are a very important sign of a saint's holiness and sanctity.  There are many stories of saints in the Eastern Orthodox Church who have been incorrupt.  In the 20th century alone, for instance, we have St. John of San Francisco, St. Savvas the New of Kalymnos, St. John the Romanian, and others whose bodies have remained incorrupt for decades after their repose and whose incorrupt relics are a continual source of healing for many.  Do the Non-Chalcedonians also have saints who are incorrupt?  If so, I would be interested in reading the stories of such saints if Non-Chalcedonians would be willing to paste relevant passages from their books.  Please also share photos of such incorrupt relics.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:54:26 AM by jah777 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »

In Eastern Orthodoxy, incorrupt relics are a very important sign of a saint's holiness and sanctity.  There are many stories of saints in the Eastern Orthodox Church who have been incorrupt.  In the 20th century alone, for instance, we have St. John of San Francisco, St. Savvas the New of Kalymnos, St. John the Romanian, and others whose bodies have remained incorrupt for decades after their repose and whose incorrupt relics are a continual source of healing for many.  Do the Non-Chalcedonians also have saints who are incorrupt?  If so, I would be interested in reading the stories of such saints if Non-Chalcedonians would be willing to paste relevant passages from their books.  Please also share photos of such incorrupt relics.

Thank you.
I think Dostoevski made the relevant comment on such a mentality in the funeral of the Elder Zosimos.

The OO do have their incorrupt saints, but before we go there for your agenda, tell us what you have to say about the ones the Vatican claims it has.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »

tell us what you have to say about the ones the Vatican claims it has.

This is a different subject which is worthy of a separate thread in a another forum other than "Oriental Orthodox Discussion" where I posted the present message.  If you would like to discuss claims regarding RC incorruptibles, please start a separate thread instread of diverting this present one.  In this thread, I am interested only in stories of Non-Chalcedon saints whose relics are incorrupt, and photos of such incorrupt relics, for the simple reason that I do not know of any. 
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

There are many such examples.

Here is one...

http://www.erkohet.com/index.php/church-historym-fathers-a-saints/232-bishop-yousaab

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »

tell us what you have to say about the ones the Vatican claims it has.

This is a different subject which is worthy of a separate thread in a another forum other than "Oriental Orthodox Discussion" where I posted the present message.  If you would like to discuss claims regarding RC incorruptibles, please start a separate thread instread of diverting this present one.  In this thread, I am interested only in stories of Non-Chalcedon saints whose relics are incorrupt, and photos of such incorrupt relics, for the simple reason that I do not know of any.  
So, now you do. And?

Btw, I'll add Pope St. Cyril the Sixth (it's not official yet, as the Church doesn't glorify a saint until half a century after his falling asleep, but it is just a matter fo time).
http://albionfourthrome.blogspot.com/2011/01/pope-kyrillos-vis-relics-incorrupt.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:04:28 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »

Thank you, Fr. Peter, for responding to my inquiry.  Of course, I would be interested in reading about more examples if you have time to provide them.  I searched through the Coptic Synaxarium and could not find any examples, but perhaps I wasn't searching using the proper words.

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/synexarion/index.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:24:06 PM by jah777 » Logged
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »

This is Fr. Andrew the Samuelite who died in late 1989. He was a great modern saint who was blind from infancy and lived to be over 100 years old after living an extremely ascetic life.

May his prayers be with us.

Fr. Kyrillos

p.s. if the picture doesn't show up, go here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/standrewsamualiteincorr.jpg/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:18:35 PM by Fr.Kyrillos » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »

There are a lot. Just do a Google for 'incorrupt relics Coptic' and variants.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »

This is Fr. Andrew the Samuelite who died in late 1989. He was a great modern saint who was blind from infancy and lived to be over 100 years old after living an extremely ascetic life.

(img)(/img)

May his prayers be with us.

Fr. Kyrillos

tried to fix that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:18:21 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »

I don't know of any in the Armenian Church.  Or any particular emphasis on incorruptibility to begin with.

Then again, in a somewhat related aside, the Armenian Church has not glorified a new saint in over 500 years.  So that perhaps complicates things a bit.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »

I don't know of any in the Armenian Church.  Or any particular emphasis on incorruptibility to begin with.

Then again, in a somewhat related aside, the Armenian Church has not glorified a new saint in over 500 years.  So that perhaps complicates things a bit.

Wow, that's odd. Weren't there any martyred by the Turks in the last centuries?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »

Wow, that's odd. Weren't there any martyred by the Turks in the last centuries?
Sure there were.  There's a pretty lengthy list of people who should be saints.  But there isn't an accepted process by which that happens, nor does it seem to be of particular urgency.
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 04:11:59 AM »

Two famous examples from the Coptic Church:

Deacon Seedhom Beshay : http://goo.gl/YuFP9  (a Google image search page)

Father Botros Banoub: http://goo.gl/4R8BZ (The first 4 pictures)

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »

The Coptic Church communes his body? (Second picture for Deacon Seedhom Beshay)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:23:31 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »

From what I can see the Priest/Bishop is holding his body not communing it. Do you mind uploading the picture you are referring to?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 05:08:57 AM »

why would the church commune his body?!
It seems that seedhom Beshay's body is held in a position to show that his hair is still intact while the bishop is holding his skufia and a microphone.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »

why would the church commune his body?!
It seems that seedhom Beshay's body is held in a position to show that his hair is still intact while the bishop is holding his skufia and a microphone.

On second look, you're right! I mistook the bishop's gold sleeve for the edge of the chalice.
Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »

I have heard of saints being found as fresh and supple as the day they died (in British history, St Cuthbert is such an example).

Most bodies I have seen seem less than fresh. The most recent example was St John the Romanian who died in Palestine in 1960. I would not have expected small children to do anything else but run away in terror should they see him.

St Samuel seems in good shape (since we are discussing OO cases of incorrupt saints) but blackened.

Has anyone a picture or example of a saint found as incorrupt as the day he/she died?
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »

St Alexander of Svir is kind of yellow but looks in pretty good shape though I haven't seen his face.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

I have heard of saints being found as fresh and supple as the day they died (in British history, St Cuthbert is such an example).

Most bodies I have seen seem less than fresh. The most recent example was St John the Romanian who died in Palestine in 1960. I would not have expected small children to do anything else but run away in terror should they see him.

St Samuel seems in good shape (since we are discussing OO cases of incorrupt saints) but blackened.

Has anyone a picture or example of a saint found as incorrupt as the day he/she died?

I think "incorrupt" has to be understood as a relative term. Obviously, if they were fully incorrupt, they would still be alive. But these relics have been preserved in a way that most ordinary remains are not.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:11:42 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »

Thank you.
I think Dostoevski made the relevant comment on such a mentality in the funeral of the Elder Zosimos.

The OO do have their incorrupt saints, but before we go there for your agenda, tell us what you have to say about the ones the Vatican claims it has.
Ferapontiousness.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 11:32:29 AM »

Thank you.

Ferapontiousness.
Huh

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »

Thank you.

Ferapontiousness.
Huh
Yeah... What's up?  Huh

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »

Thank you.

Ferapontiousness.
Huh

Fr. Ferapont was the one who made a big stink about Elder Zosima's odor of corruption.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »

Yeah, I'm just being dumb.

I don't deny any case of incorruption, but it ain't a deal-breaker.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Tags: Oriental Orthodox saints saints incorrupt saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: