OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Pius IX considered a saint in the Melkite Greek Catholic Church?  (Read 565 times) Average Rating: 0
cyro

Faith: none
Jurisdiction: Poland

« on: July 13, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »

"After the First Vatican Council concluded an emissary of the Roman Curia was dispatched to secure the signatures of the patriarch and the Melkite delegation. Patriarch Gregory and the Melkite bishops subscribed to it, but with the qualifying clause of the used at the Council of Florence attached: "except the rights and privileges of Eastern patriarchs.". He earned the enmity of Pius IX for this; during his next visit to the pontiff Gregory was cast to the floor at Pius' feet by the papal guard while the pope placed his foot on the patriarch's head. Despite this, Patriarch Gregory and the Melkite Catholic Church remained committed to their union with the Church of Rome. Relationships with the Vatican improved following the death of Pius IX and the subsequent election of Leo XIII as pontiff."

I admit it is from Wikipedia but have a good reference.

Anyway, since I'm neither Catholic or Orthodox (studying comparative religion) I only rely on academic text and in one of them I spotted very intersting quote: "When patriarch Joseph II arrived in Venice pope's delegates insisted that he should kiss pope in foot. He refused replying: If pope is successor of Peter, we [Eastern patriarchs] are successors of other apostles. Show me in the Bible proof that other apostles kisses Peter in his foot." (Andrzej Flis, Christianity and Europe, p.221). I guess those two cases have a lot in common, historical context my be different but papal claims are almost the same.

Eugene IV is not venerated as saint, but Pius IX is. How do Eastern Catholic feel about his behaviour? Note, I don't want another debate about papal primacy (at least not in this thread). I'm interested only in this practise.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »

Eugene IV is not venerated as saint, but Pius IX is.

No, Pius IX has been beatified but not canonized.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
cyro

Faith: none
Jurisdiction: Poland

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »

Eugene IV is not venerated as saint, but Pius IX is.

No, Pius IX has been beatified but not canonized.

Thank you for clarification.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: