OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:32:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sex, Mom and Dad's Sins [Frank Schaeffer]  (Read 3407 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: July 13, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »

An excerpt from what some are saying is Frank Schaeffer's best book, Sex, Mom, and God:

"You see, Dear, King David and Fran [Francis, Frank's dad] share a Very Strong Drive in That Area. At least Fran recognizes his Need." Mom paused, smiled sweetly, then added in a brisk upbeat tone, "But I don't want you to get the wrong impression; it's not that I don't enjoy being with Fran in That Way. Within a Christ-centered marriage the union of a married man and his wife is a wonderful gift. It's just that because Fran has a Daily Need, I have to go with him on every single speaking trip. I hate leaving you alone so often, even in a good cause."

To an outsider, Mom's constant citing of Bible passages like King David's Sin to "explain" Dad's failings might have seemed like a snide rebuke. Actually, it was Mom's way of defending Dad. She was placing his Sins on a high pedestal right up there with the failings of the biblical heroes. Mom was excusing Dad by saying in effect, "Even King David, that the Bible says God loved most of all, sinned terribly. He was forgiven and I forgive Fran, too. Moreover, if even King David was awful sometimes, how can Fran be perfect?"

This reminds me of when Malcolm X discovered that Elijah Muhammad had had sexual relations (and produced several children) with various young female members of the Nation of Islam. Malcolm, before he broke away from Muhammad, tried to justify Muhammad's activities by invoking King David. Of course, Francis Schaeffer never had extra-marital affairs, I presume.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:50:03 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

I don't really like how Frank Schaeffer has exposed so much of his personal family life to the world, including a large number of very not good things about his parents.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

Most things about Frank Schaeffer have given me a bad impression.

Some of his insights into problems with the Protestant paradigm which he made at his time of conversion to Orthodoxy in the early 90's seemed good, but even then in many ways it seems like he was using Orthodoxy as a way to attack his past or at least as a way to express discontentment. Everything else also seems perpetually discontent, as if there hasn't been a lot of spiritual growth moving him in the right direction over the last 20 years. May God forgive me for judging him if that is what I am doing, but I am only trying to be discerning.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »

An excerpt from what some are saying is Frank Schaeffer's best book, Sex, Mom, and God:

"You see, Dear, King David and Fran [Francis, Frank's dad] share a Very Strong Drive in That Area. At least Fran recognizes his Need." Mom paused, smiled sweetly, then added in a brisk upbeat tone, "But I don't want you to get the wrong impression; it's not that I don't enjoy being with Fran in That Way. Within a Christ-centered marriage the union of a married man and his wife is a wonderful gift. It's just that because Fran has a Daily Need, I have to go with him on every single speaking trip. I hate leaving you alone so often, even in a good cause."

To an outsider, Mom's constant citing of Bible passages like King David's Sin to "explain" Dad's failings might have seemed like a snide rebuke. Actually, it was Mom's way of defending Dad. She was placing his Sins on a high pedestal right up there with the failings of the biblical heroes. Mom was excusing Dad by saying in effect, "Even King David, that the Bible says God loved most of all, sinned terribly. He was forgiven and I forgive Fran, too. Moreover, if even King David was awful sometimes, how can Fran be perfect?"

This reminds me of when Malcolm X discovered that Elijah Muhammad had had sexual relations (and produced several children) with various young female members of the Nation of Islam. Malcolm, before he broke away from Muhammad, tried to justify Muhammad's activities by invoking King David. Of course, Francis Schaeffer never had extra-marital affairs, I presume.
That would seem logical, as Frankie says mom went with Fran all the time.  Seems like Frankie wants to prove Freud right for his new friends among the Huffingtonpost ilk.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »

Is he still a professing Orthodox Christian?

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »

I heard an interview with him 1-2 years ago with Terry Gross. He came across as an agnostic to me.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »

He's still Orthodox, but -- after experiencing the "joys" of a Protestant fundamentalism that demonstrated the limits of epistemological hubris -- he's grown weary of what passes for American Christianity.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »

Most things about Frank Schaeffer have given me a bad impression.

Some of his insights into problems with the Protestant paradigm which he made at his time of conversion to Orthodoxy in the early 90's seemed good, but even then in many ways it seems like he was using Orthodoxy as a way to attack his past or at least as a way to express discontentment. Everything else also seems perpetually discontent, as if there hasn't been a lot of spiritual growth moving him in the right direction over the last 20 years. May God forgive me for judging him if that is what I am doing, but I am only trying to be discerning.
That's pretty much my impression; may God forgive me also.

Silly Stars
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »

I am still wondering whether I should read this. Any POSITIVE recs on this board?

For the record, I read Crazy for God a few months ago. My priest recommended it to me, certainly not for Schaeffer's theology, but since Mr. Ismi and I were making the Protestant-Orthodox crossover, he thought that we would find get a lot out of Schaeffer's writings. There were some lines that certainly delivered punch and hit my at my last evangelical nerve. He made a lot of great points, but I was also unnerved about some of the personal stories he chose to tell in the book.

About halfway through the book, I visited my priest again and briefly considered asking him if Frank Schaeffer even believed in God anymore. Only God knows his heart, so I leave that judgment up to Him, but it seemed to me like he was saying, "I picked Orthodoxy because it's so spiritual and leaves a lot to mystery so I can even wake up and not believe in God some days." Sounded like a wavering agnostic/Christian to me.

Not that I certainly haven't questioned God's existence myself, but if he's trying to "sell" Orthodoxy and how at peace he felt with his conversion, he failed. Instead, I just got a whole lot of anger at his upbringing, which I understand. But I do hope he really finds peace with that, because it's like a virus. His mood infects the entire book.

But I am fascinated with his criticism of Western Protestant, especially evangelical, culture in the U.S., because I did agree with him on a lot of those points. Wondering whether his writing style and tone changed after the publication of CfG.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Mishakol

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: (closest church)

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 12:43:39 AM »

I looked at his press (Regina Press), and I was going to order a few of his DVD's. Does anybody know if they are any good?
I saw his video from St Elijah's on GoogleVideo yesterday, and I was pretty impressed by his presentation "Is The Ancient Church Out of Date?"

Here is the movie I saw: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4935975257314863954

Here are his DVD's

http://www.reginaorthodoxpress.com/videos.html

"And in Him is no darkness at all,"--that is, no passion, no keeping up of evil respecting any one, [He] destroys no one but gives salvation to all. Light moreover signifies, either the precepts of the Law, or faith, or doctrine."

Clement Of Alexandria - Commentary on 1 John.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »

I looked at his press (Regina Press), and I was going to order a few of his DVD's. Does anybody know if they are any good?
I saw his video from St Elijah's on GoogleVideo yesterday, and I was pretty impressed by his presentation "Is The Ancient Church Out of Date?"

Here is the movie I saw: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4935975257314863954

Here are his DVD's

http://www.reginaorthodoxpress.com/videos.html

When I was first inquiring into Orthodoxy my husband and I watched Schaeffer's Journey to Orthodox video.  I thought it was quite good.  He threw a lot of good punches at the Evangelicals but I don't remember any parent bashing on his part (although it's been long enough I could have forgotten). 

I'm pretty turned off by his attitude towards his parents and his need to air their dirty laundry.  He's like someone who can't let go of his past and keeps playing the same ugly records over and over...only he's playing it in a public forum.  He appears to be a bitter man.  This is not how I would want to present Orthodoxy to my Evangelical friends and I would never recommend any of his books, for that reason.   He doesn't seem like he's a very happy person, IMHO.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

Frank Schaeffer discusses growing up with his Father and Mother, Francis and Edith Schaeffer and the lasting impact they made on the Evangelical Right in America. He carefully traces Francis Schaeffer's engagement with Christianity arguing that, rather than turning away from his parent's legacy, he has instead carried it on through his journey to Orthodoxy.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

Frank Schaeffer discusses growing up with his Father and Mother, Francis and Edith Schaeffer and the lasting impact they made on the Evangelical Right in America. He carefully traces Francis Schaeffer's engagement with Christianity arguing that, rather than turning away from his parent's legacy, he has instead carried it on through his journey to Orthodoxy.

This is ironic, since I was just reading the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:27:06 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »

That would seem logical, as Frankie says mom went with Fran all the time.  Seems like Frankie wants to prove Freud right for his new friends among the Huffingtonpost ilk.

You realize you are the Huffington Post's target demo, right?

Anyway, it's gross. Fankie, Fran, Terry, and everything else

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »

Yeah, writing/talking about my parents' sex life would be [steps outside to scream].  One less thing to read.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

Yeah, writing/talking about my parents' sex life would be [steps outside to scream].  One less thing to read.
He gives a beautiful story about his Dad, after 34:00 here.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: