OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:50:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Someone Translate this Armenian Orthodox Hymn?  (Read 561 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:55:05 PM »

Could someone translate this Armenian Orthodox hymn? It's so cool and unique, it has almost a "mystical" or "mysterious" undertone to it, for the lack of better words. Also, when is this hymn chanted, during the liturgy, during important feast days, etc.? I am Coptic, but I have gotten really attracted to the Church of Armenian lately, it's a shame that the closest Armenian Church to my house is nearly sixty miles away  Sad. God bless the Holy Armenian Orthodox Church and her faithful.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:56:02 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:51 AM »

This is pretty much a mashup of a bunch of different things.  I'm not immediately sure what the song is at the beginning.  Then there's something else I don't recognize.  Then it goes into the melody of Der Voghormya (Lord Have Mercy), which is from the Divine Liturgy.  Then there's some totally unrelated chanting in completely different keys...

Long story short, this is something off of a contemporary music CD that someone has used to essentially created a collage out of a bunch of different things.  There's elements from an ensemble called Akn, which is working to revive ancient, pre-Western influenced Armenian liturgical music and traditions.

http://www.akn-chant.org/en

As for the words at the beginning, my Armenian is really rusty right now, but the best I can tell, it starts something like:

A multitude of people have witnessed today the radiant light of the holy cross (or, the light of the holy cross, radiant...)

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:39:43 AM »

This is pretty much a mashup of a bunch of different things.  I'm not immediately sure what the song is at the beginning.  Then there's something else I don't recognize.  Then it goes into the melody of Der Voghormya (Lord Have Mercy), which is from the Divine Liturgy.  Then there's some totally unrelated chanting in completely different keys...

Long story short, this is something off of a contemporary music CD that someone has used to essentially created a collage out of a bunch of different things.  There's elements from an ensemble called Akn, which is working to revive ancient, pre-Western influenced Armenian liturgical music and traditions.

As for the words at the beginning, my Armenian is really rusty right now, but the best I can tell, it starts something like:

A multitude of people have witnessed today the radiant light of the holy cross (or, the light of the holy cross, radiant...)

Thanks for your response  Smiley.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:43:28 AM »

Եւ բազմութեան ժողովուրդ տեսանէին այսօր
Սուրբ զխաչն լուսոյ ճառագայթիւք զարդարեալ
Եւ զծագումն լուսոյ Աստուածային նշանի քոյ

And the many people saw today
The Holy Cross bedecked with rays of light
And the coming of your Godly symbol of light....

------
That was the first "hymn". The above poster is right, it is a modern mish-mash of different hymns or chanting and if I have time I will try to translate the rest of it in the future.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:44:27 AM by Gisasargavak » Logged
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:46:51 AM »

Եւ բազմութեան ժողովուրդ տեսանէին այսօր
Սուրբ զխաչն լուսոյ ճառագայթիւք զարդարեալ
Եւ զծագումն լուսոյ Աստուածային նշանի քոյ

And the many people saw today
The Holy Cross bedecked with rays of light
And the coming of your Godly symbol of light....

------
That was the first "hymn". The above poster is right, it is a modern mish-mash of different hymns or chanting and if I have time I will try to translate the rest of it in the future.
Thanks. Wow, I would never have guessed it's a mish-mash of different hymns. It sounds very fluid to me.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »

I never knew about this group before.  I would love to get their cd's, but they don't seem to be easily available.   Cry

Tags: Armenian Church Oriental Orthodox Music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: