OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can you tell if you are possesed with demons?  (Read 560 times) Average Rating: 0
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: June 15, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »

How can you tell if you need an exorcism?  Please give an Orthodox answer not a run-of-the-mill American answer.

Also,  if you frequently get sick from taking Communion, is that always a bad thing?
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »

How can you tell if you need an exorcism?  Please give an Orthodox answer not a run-of-the-mill American answer.

Also,  if you frequently get sick from taking Communion, is that always a bad thing?

1. Ask a Priest or Bishop

Try to push back a little and see what happens. Drink some Holy Water every day and use it liberally around your home , especially where you sleep.
Put an icon under your pillow of the Theotokos or favorite Saint. Fast a little harder, pray a little more. Demons dont like that sort of thing especially Holy Water.

If symptoms persist then ask for an exorcism but make sure it is someone who has done one or two before. You may need to travel to a Monastery to find someone.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »

How can you tell if you need an exorcism? 

Can you see yourself in a mirror?  Do fans start spinning in the opposite directions?  And the most obvious- do you find yourself liking Obama?

Sorry, I just had to.  Seriously though, I Marc's on the right track.
 7 days of warning for a political comment in the Public Fora - MK.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »

Well, I don't know you, but my first instinct is to tell you not simply to consult a priest, but specifically to ask for the opportunity to make a good confession.  St Paul warns the Corinthians that many of them at the time were becoming ill because of an unworthy participation in Holy Communion, and it's certainly possible for Communion to be, in a sense, "harmful" to us if we are not properly prepared.  So try to make a good and thorough confession, receive Communion, and follow your priest's advice regarding this issue.  He'll probably want to talk to you and ask about your life and lifestyle, your spirituality, etc., and he'll probably recommend something along the lines of what Marc wrote.  If there's more to it, he'll know what to do, or at least he'll know whom to consult.  It's generally not a good idea for us to try and diagnose ourselves, especially if it might be something as serious as diabolic activity.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »

How can you tell if you need an exorcism?  

Can you see yourself in a mirror?  Do fans start spinning in the opposite directions?  And the most obvious- do you find yourself liking Obama?

Sorry, I just had to.  Seriously though, I Marc's on the right track.

It was Bush Cheney who were in bed with a demon, the reason that Cheney shot his hunting partner was he was possesed. Roll Eyes

Yes Marc is right, ask your priest or just look up one in the phone book for Orthodox or Catholic if you are not part of a church or would rather speak anonymously at first.
 7 days of warning for a political comment in the Public Fora - MK.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:21:15 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »

Sounds like you have a few concerns. I am not an expert in demon possession, but I believe it would be something very obvious that you yourself would not have control over. You would not ask because the demon would not allow you to expose him. That being said it doesn't mean one cannot be tempted by a demon in serious way, but that's not possession.

How do you get sick from Communion? Assuming it's not just your impression, I would have a close look at this phenomenon. I can imagine many things, but since I don't know your own situation, I can't really say anything.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »

Hmm, really surprised no one said "Pray to God." Pray to God always. You cannot be possessed and a tabernacle of the Holy Spirit at the same time.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »

How can you tell if you need an exorcism?  Please give an Orthodox answer not a run-of-the-mill American answer.
Ask your priest

Also,  if you frequently get sick from taking Communion, is that always a bad thing?
Are you allergic to gluten? Wiki says "Gluten sensitivity (also gluten intolerance) is a spectrum of disorders, including celiac disease and wheat allergy, in which gluten has an adverse effect on the body."

This is a debated subject and I for one believe you don't eat bread while receiving Communion. There is nothing in that cup besides the precious life giving Body and Blood of our Lord. With that I would say resort back to the default and talk to your priest. If you are in an area that doesn't have a priest, the saying goes, when in doubt do what the Church Fathers did (you'd have to research what they did with this matter because I don't know the answer).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:59:13 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »

Demons are real.

However, blaming demonic possession for your fears, shortcomings and mistakes in life may be nothing more than an excuse in your own mind. Succumbing to temptation is a common everyday thing; but documented demonic possession is exceptionally rare.

Seriously, talk to a priest and pray.

On a lighter note, read this: http://stories.donignacio.com/51waystotellifyourepossessedbydemons.html
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »

In Orthodox teaching, this is best handled by asking a priest.

Tell the priest all of your symptoms.   

I do remember a priest that said "many who think they are possessed, are just weighed down by their sins and in need of confession".   

I could see his point, as being trapped in some sins can make some people wonder if they are possessed.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »

In Orthodox teaching, this is best handled by asking a priest.

Tell the priest all of your symptoms.   

I do remember a priest that said "many who think they are possessed, are just weighed down by their sins and in need of confession".   

I could see his point, as being trapped in some sins can make some people wonder if they are possessed.

QFT indeed. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: