Author Topic: St. Raphael Almost Consecrated By An Anglican!?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
St. Raphael Almost Consecrated By An Anglican!?
« on: January 09, 2006, 05:56:59 PM »
Ok, I've never read anything like this before. Other than a discourse on how such a thing is impossible because of Orthodox theology, does anyone have any thoughts?
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Archon
Re: St. Raphael Almost Consecrated By An Anglican!?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:02:43 PM »
None about the event, but about the picture that appears at the top of the article.

This is thought to be the first picture ever taken of Episcopal bishops in copes and miters. And the figure at the far right is St. Tikhon.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 06:23:22 PM »
I will say that the article is incorrect in saying that then Bp. TIKHON was "vested."  As far as the picture is concerned, he is wearing his exorasso (outer-robe, the black robe with big "floppy" sleeves), his panokalimorfon (the black hat with the black veil), and his mandia (the colorful outer cape with a long train in the back and a slit in the front for his arms and cross/engolopion - the icon of the Panagia on his neck).  Each of these pieces is considered episcopal "street wear" and would not be worn by a celebrant bishop, let alone in a service he would consider "divine Liturgy."

Insofar as he has this detail confused, I am wondering now whether or not Dr. Lewis is also confused as to Bp. TIKHON's invitation of the Bishop Grafton and the intention behind it; if he was incorrect on the Bishop's participation/vesting in the Anglican ordination, then it stands to reason that he would have no idea about the role that an Anglican bishop would be able to have in an Orthodox ordination.  As it stands, even if Bp. TIKHON laid hands on the aforementioned Anglican Bishop in his ordination, it would not be seen as a sacramental act in the Orthodox church because + TIKHON was not wearing his episcopal vestments.  Furthermore, the fact that he did not have on his omoforion on top of his mandia showed that he had no intention of attempting anything even resembling a sacramental act.

If all I have to go on is the story and the photo, then the photo speaks volumes about how the story adds unneccesary conjecture and projection to the events of the day.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:49 AM »
Interesting stuff.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:02:45 AM »
Huh. I forgot all about this thread. Not that it's really earth shattering, but still, I usually don't get that feeling. Anyway...

January 09, 2006

That was an interesting month for me. Thanks for the stroll down memory highway.
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky