OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to a New Parish; Antiochian to OCA  (Read 2514 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

Is there anything definitely different that I can expect to see at an OCA parish that I wouldn't see at an Antiochian one? Obviously some things are going to vary from parish to parish anyway, but I'm looking for things that are generally consistent and would be different.

Also, any tips on adjusting to a new parish in general would also be much appreciated. I can't say I'm not nervous about it.

Communion is a little different in that they will move the cloth to allow you to kiss the chalice, and there is usually wine with hot water available to dip the bread in after you commune.

I am OCA and in my parish, we do not kiss the chalice to prevent accidents.

Whether or not to kiss the holy chalice has been a raging controversy in the Orthodox Church for the last 1,000 years. I believe St. Symeon the New Theologian wrote against the practice. Accident prevention is only one part of it. The other more symbolic part is that since one has just received Christ God, why would you venerate the chalice, or icons for that matter?

Please everyone, respect the tradition of the parish you are attending. I say this as a son and brother of a priest. If kissing the chalice in NOT  the local custom DON'T do it. The chances of startling the priest or those holding the chalice cloth thereby causing an accident are pretty good. That's only common sense. And if your custom is not to kiss the chalice and you are worried about your causing an accident, just pull back respectfully after receiving.  Thanks!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

Please everyone, respect the tradition of the parish you are attending. I say this as a son and brother of a priest. If kissing the chalice in NOT  the local custom DON'T do it. The chances of startling the priest or those holding the chalice cloth thereby causing an accident are pretty good. That's only common sense. And if your custom is not to kiss the chalice and you are worried about your causing an accident, just pull back respectfully after receiving.  Thanks!

At my Antiochian parish we don't kiss the chalice, and to attempt to would probably be difficult since the chalice isn't readily within kissing reach. Almost guaranteed to push the people holding the cloth or knock the chalice down.

I believe the OCA parish does kiss the chalice since a parishioner was saying they do, but that the local Greek parish doesn't. So I'll be getting used to that as well. Tongue
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: