OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:54:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only the Orthodox Church can claim to have it's roots since the 1st century.  (Read 4994 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2011, 04:46:58 AM »

You haven't noticed that slavery has been abolished, and thus, there are no slaves to submit, if you are worried about that. 
You appear to be seriously in error on your claim that there are no slaves today. There is slavery today, and I believe that the Orthodox Church has abandoned the teaching of apostolic times that slaves should submit themselves to their masters with all respect. Therefore, it is pretty unconvincing when an Orthodox Christian claims that the Roman Church has abandoned some of the apostolic teachings.
Here are some of the FACES OF SLAVERY AND BONDAGE
IN THE 21st CENTURY:
http://www.anti-slaverysociety.addr.com/toc.htm

Where do you get the idea that the OC has abandoned teaching slaves to be obedient to their masters?
Oh. So slaves are supposed to be obedient to their masters according to the teaching of the Orthodox Church? Is that it? Can you kindly supply a reference to some authoritative source for that?

You're the one who was making assumptions. Stop projecting. I never said that the Orthodox Church teaches that. I just said that it might.
It might? Can you give an authoritative  reference for that? I really doubt that it teaches anything of the sort.

The burden of proof would actually be on those who want to suggest that the teaching has changed. Otherwise status quo should simply assume that it has remained the same.
Do you mean then that we should assume that the Orthodox Church teaches that slaves should submit to their masters?

Perhaps. In case you hadn't noticed I'm taking an approach of not making a lot of assumptions here.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2011, 05:28:25 AM »

1.   What God has joined together, let no man put asunder. But the Orthodox Church allows divorce.

Catholics are fortunate that the great majority of their marriages were never joined together by God and so they are easily sundered by an annulment.  These marriages are in fact legal cohabitation.

And the few Catholic marriages that may have been legitimate may be sundered by a separation.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2011, 05:44:06 AM »

It is not so much that Rome has lost it's lineage of apostolic succession but rather it has lost grace of apostolic succession by abandonment of the apostolic faith. ...
Still, I think that it can be argued that there are certain practices and teachings in apostolic times which have been abandoned by the Orthodox Church. For another example, take the teaching in apostolic times that slaves should be subject to their masters. Is it not true that the Orthodox Church has abandoned this apostolic teaching?

I wonder if this apostolic teaching was faithfully observed by the thousands and thousands of Irish Catholics shipped as slaves to the Americas.  Did they smile obediently as their masters set their hands on fire or sawed off their heads?

"They came as slaves; vast human cargo transported on tall British ships bound for the Americas.
They were shipped by the hundreds of thousands and included men, women, and even the youngest of children.

"Whenever they rebelled or even disobeyed an order, they were punished in the harshest ways.
Slave owners would hang their human property by their hands and set their hands or feet on fire
as one form of punishment. They were burned alive and had their heads placed on pikes in the
marketplace as a warning to other captives."

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves
The Slaves That Time Forgot
By John Martin
http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:50:15 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »

Mor Severios Malke Mourad

Oh, of course! I totally forgot about him! *Slaps head*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:12:51 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: