OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Bishops styled as "High-Priests"?  (Read 334 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: July 11, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »

In the Old World, in all of the flowery Byzantine titles bestowed upon our hierarchs, are they frequently referred to as "high-priests"? I just thought that since we call presbyters "priests", and they are seen as representatives of the bishop, then it might make some kind of convoluted sense to call them high priests. I suspect this is the case, and if so it honestly seems theologically problematic on several levels.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

I think this is more an issue of English translation. The English word "priest" comes ultimately from "presbyter" but we apply the term "priest" to certain kinds of people that are not presbyters, such as the Levitical priests. This is why some sticklers insist on referring to Orthodox priests as "presbyters" even in English.

Have you seen any place where our bishops are called "high priest"?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »

In the liturgical services, the bishop is referred to as ὁ ἀρχιερεύς, which is indeed the Greek word that many translate as "high priest" in the NT. This is true in rubrics, commemorations, and in hymns about famous, saintly bishops, e.g. St Nicholas. They are also called "archpastors" in the same sources and others.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »

In the liturgical services, the bishop is referred to as ὁ ἀρχιερεύς, which is indeed the Greek word that many translate as "high priest" in the NT. This is true in rubrics, commemorations, and in hymns about famous, saintly bishops, e.g. St Nicholas. They are also called "archpastors" in the same sources and others.

Yes!

Actually, you have all just called them high priest. The word "heirarch" is an Anglization (and distortion) of the Greek ἀρχιερεύς. "heir-" coming from the word ιερεύς (iereus) meaning "priest" and "-arch" coming from the word "ἀρχῇ" (arche) meaning "first, leading."

I love Greek! Grin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:55:36 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:35 PM »

Yes!

Actually, you have all just called them high priest. The word "heirarch" is an Anglization (and distortion) of the Greek ἀρχιερεύς. "heir-" coming from the word ιερεύς (iereus) meaning "priest" and "-arch" coming from the word "ἀρχῇ" (arche) meaning "first, leading."

I love Greek! Grin

*Double thumbs up.*

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: