OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best places for Orthodox singles to live?  (Read 3868 times) Average Rating: 0
AikaterinaMaria

« on: July 11, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »

So the other thread on the best places for Orthodox families to live got me thinking. I've never seen an Orthodox church that wasn't entirely family-centric. Are there churches in other parts of the country that are welcoming to single young adults or that offer young adult ministries?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:53:30 AM »

So the other thread on the best places for Orthodox families to live got me thinking. I've never seen an Orthodox church that wasn't entirely family-centric. Are there churches in other parts of the country that are welcoming to single young adults or that offer young adult ministries?
There's a Greek Orthodox Church in Portland, Oregon, that does.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

In my experience, there are usually several such parishes in cities with large numbers of young professionals and graduate students: New York, Chicago, and Boston in particular. In the GOA alone there are city-wide Orthodox organizations and events for adults in their twenties and thirties in all three cities, ranging from faith-related retreats to sports leagues. There are also some great parishes with plenty of single members. St. Mary's in Cambridge, MA comes to mind.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »

yeah there called monasteries  Wink
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »

Roflcopter.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »

I think just about any Church would be welcoming towards any person, single or married.  As for youth ministries, I haven't run into any.  The Church I attend has a number of younger couples, but few single people, unless they are widowed.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »

Are there churches in other parts of the country that are welcoming to single young adults or that offer young adult ministries?

Roflcopter.

I'm not sure what a Roflcopter is, but I think I second the motion.  Well played, Poppy!

To the OP, sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't know.  My parish has a young adult ministry, or something like that.  I don't qualify.  Smiley

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »

Young adult? Orthodox Church?

Huh

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »

You guys are sooooo funny.

At my church, it just seems like the Orthodox guys and gals lure the cute/sexy/hot non-Orthodox to marry them and make them convert immediately. Who needs a singles ministry?! Go out and recruit for the Church, people!!!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:35 PM »

At my church, it just seems like the Orthodox guys and gals lure the cute/sexy/hot non-Orthodox to marry them and make them convert immediately. Who needs a singles ministry?! Go out and recruit for the Church, people!!!

I thought you attend a Greek church?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »

Young adult? Orthodox Church?
 Huh

Sigh... don't get me started.

Ahhh, so that's why it's okay for women to wear miniskirts to receive communion.  Silly me.  Always thinking like an overzealous convert. Angry

Cheers, Melodist, for the ROFLCopter explanation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:16:06 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »

There are a couple of houses for rent on my street.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »

Tried that.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »

Tried that.

Didn't work for me, either.

I think it is a rare person who is even capable of "getting" Orthodoxy, the state of worldly brainwashing being what it is these days.

O tempora, o mores.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »

I do. There are a TON of converts by marriage there. I guess that's the outlier?

I hope you guys find lovely Orthodox gals.  Smiley We have also a pretty big 30 something convert population at our church, which may make things easier for the people seeking a good Orthodox partner.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I just realized that my response may have come off as very flippant. I didn't mean it that way. Even in the Protestant churches, I was never able to find a guy with a similar mindset. They were either so straight-edged that they gasped at my clothes and hobbies or they were frat boys in disguise who dated every woman in the college ministry. You guys are one in a million and I really do hope that you find someone.

Only by the grace of God are my husband and I catechumens and going to be raising our children in one church. When we first started dating, he wanted to convert to the RCC and I was full-out-whack-a-doodle charismatic. We very narrowly missed a deal-breaker (not that we're in the clear yet, only one year into our marriage) in our religious beliefs. These things are always difficult and you guys have my utmost sympathies.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:48:10 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »

Even in the Protestant churches, I was never able to find a guy with a similar mindset. They were either so straight-edged that they gasped at my clothes and hobbies or they were frat boys in disguise who dated every woman in the college ministry.

I really empathise with this, only with genders reversed and "frat boy" replaced by certain expletives.

I am thinking I need to make a thread about the takeover of Christianity by straight-lacedness, as it's come up across a few topics.

PS: "30-something" is a bit old for me, haha.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:04:45 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »

I do. There are a TON of converts by marriage there. I guess that's the outlier?

I hope you guys find lovely Orthodox gals.  Smiley We have also a pretty big 30 something convert population at our church, which may make things easier for the people seeking a good Orthodox partner.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I just realized that my response may have come off as very flippant. I didn't mean it that way. Even in the Protestant churches, I was never able to find a guy with a similar mindset. They were either so straight-edged that they gasped at my clothes and hobbies or they were frat boys in disguise who dated every woman in the college ministry. You guys are one in a million and I really do hope that you find someone.

Only by the grace of God are my husband and I catechumens and going to be raising our children in one church. When we first started dating, he wanted to convert to the RCC and I was full-out-whack-a-doodle charismatic. We very narrowly missed a deal-breaker (not that we're in the clear yet, only one year into our marriage) in our religious beliefs. These things are always difficult and you guys have my utmost sympathies.

Your well-wishing is appreciated.  And I didn't take your response to be flippant. 

As for the 30 something converts, if this is numeric - jeesh, on days that aren't Pascha and Nativity we're luck if we have 30 people total.  If you mean age-wise - then unlike Akimori, 30 ain't too old for me!   Grin  (Nice Cicero quote on the last post, btw, Aki!)
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »

Okay, so maybe TON = 15. Ha ha. I'm going by percentages here, because our church is pretty small. It's yiayias, 30-somethings (and late 20-somethings), and lots of babies. Strange demographics.

And forgive me, I wasn't aware that women a bit older than you were off your lists.  Tongue Ha, I'd consider 30 to 42, but that's another story entirely...

--
--
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »

I am thinking I need to make a thread about the takeover of Christianity by straight-lacedness, as it's come up across a few topics.

Please do. I would love to hear your thoughts on the issue!

--
--
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »

I'm early 40s and I've been in two parishes. One had tons of very young converts (college age or just beyond) and lots of singles in that population or several very freaky older guys I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole (thank God they were never interested).

Going to several GOA parishes in the area for their YAL groups was unsuccessful. Not for guys, but just for more folks my age. It was made blatantly clear that non-Greeks were unwelcome, much to the dismay of the priests! This was when I was in my mid-30s.

I'm very active locally, so I'm definitely not hiding in my parish. There are several guys my age in my parish, but they are stuck in perpetual adolescence - early 40s and never married - and are incapable of even holding a decent conversation at coffee hour.

I'm in an area with lots of Orthodox, but the ethnic parish folks pretty much keep to themselves.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »

Nice!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Philoumenos
Wishes Jews Would Come to Christ

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 03:05:36 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristiandating.com/connect/

Count 'em up!

“If my sons did not want war, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnapper, wife of Mayer Amschel Rothschild

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »

Where is your Church again?  angel

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »

In my Greek Orthodox mission parish, young Greek women tend to marry WASP Episcopalians. Smiley

Love never fails.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 07:21:10 AM »

Are there churches in other parts of the country that are welcoming to single young adults or that offer young adult ministries?

If you are a female I'm sure any seminary with loads of young men would welcome you anytime. angel
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »

If you are a female I'm sure any seminary with loads of young men would welcome you anytime. angel

This is actually a very bad idea.

If you want to feel like you are a cow going out for slaughter, by all means, follow this suggestion. If you want to meet a man who loves you for who you are, and not because you are potential "Presbytera/Matushka/PaniMatka" material, and as a result can get ordained quickly after graduation, don't hang out at a seminary.

While it's true that I do know Presbytera's and Matushka's who have met their husbands at seminary, it's because they were there to get their MS degree in Theology or BA degree Religious Studies. Not to get their MRS. degree.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

If you want to feel like you are a cow going out for slaughter, by all means, follow this suggestion. If you want to meet a man who loves you for who you are, and not because you are potential "Presbytera/Matushka/PaniMatka" material, and as a result can get ordained quickly after graduation, don't hang out at a seminary.

While it's true that I do know Presbytera's and Matushka's who have met their husbands at seminary, it's because they were there to get their MS degree in Theology or BA degree Religious Studies. Not to get their MRS. degree.

I have to agree. Clergy families are under enough stress without adding the strain of two people who don't know each other that well.
nichole.boz

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »

I have to disagree with you....while there are definitely men at seminary whose "theological clocks" are ticking, there is also an incredibly unique community of young people who are serious about their faith and their life in the Church.  I am finishing my MTS degree, and began seminary with the intention to learn more about my faith (since I converted at age 12), learn Greek, and learn more about Byzantine chant.  Among the myriad other amazing benefits afforded me by three years at seminary was bonding with this community.  I had many of the same feelings about finding someone with whom to spend my life now that I was part of the Orthodox Church (I grew up in the South, so this "weird religion" put off many people), and I didn't feel that many of my age-group peers at Church really cared much beyond the Greek festival or yearly dances. 

Seminary opened up my eyes to a world of people under the age of 75 who LOVED the Church and were studying to spend their lives closely tied to it.  Invaluable experience, and worth every penny and every minute. 

I also happened to meet my husband there, but that was neither of our intentions when we arrived...which is why it worked.  You cannot force things like marriage-caliber relationships, in my humble opinion.....

-N

In Christ,
Nichole

"1. The path is not straight. 2. Mistakes need not be fatal. 3. People are more important than achievements or possessions. 4. Be gentle with your parents. 5. Never stop doing what you care most about. 6. Learn to use a semicolon. 7. You will find love." ~Marion Winik
CatherineBrigid

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »

LOL...in my soon-to-be church (it's a brand-new parish-in-formation), I will be the ONE single person, LOL!!!  And I"m a single mom too, yippee, LOL.  The other two families in the church are married folks.

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »

Churches in college towns tend to have young, sizeable groups of singles.

Occasionally, I bemoan my bachelorhood to my mom and aunt who remind me, "There's plenty of single Greek girls in church." Then, every Sunday, I might see one. Wicked women, this is there attempt to make me attend more often. It's like playing the lottery: You keep playing in hopes that you'll win. I keep attending as many services as possible in hopes I find a woman.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »

Finnland

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »

Orthodox seminaries.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

Occasionally, I bemoan my bachelorhood to my mom and aunt who remind me, "There's plenty of single Greek girls in church." Then, every Sunday, I might see one. Wicked women, this is there attempt to make me attend more often. It's like playing the lottery: You keep playing in hopes that you'll win. I keep attending as many services as possible in hopes I find a woman.

Yep.  That's how it goes.  Women don't typically attend Church between the ages of 18 and childbirth.  Or at least, that's how it looks to me. 
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »

Yep.  That's how it goes.  Women don't typically attend Church between the ages of 18 and childbirth.  Or at least, that's how it looks to me. 

You've never been to a Romanian parish then I guess. There are always tons of younger single people, of both sexes. At least, there are both here and in Romania in every parish I ever attended. Of course, if you're actually in Romania chances are that most people around you are Orthodox in or out of church. I met my wife whilst doing aid work in Romania.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »

Marry a Mexican California girl Smiley They are Roman Catholics (unfortunately) but they are always extremely devout and probably would convert to Orthodoxy and make good moms.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »

Marry a Mexican California girl Smiley They are Roman Catholics (unfortunately) but they are always extremely devout and probably would convert to Orthodoxy and make good moms.
What's wrong with Mexican Texas girls?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 03:41:33 AM »

Wouldn't extreme devotion be an obstacle to a conversion of convenience?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »

A monastery Wink

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

You've never been to a Romanian parish then I guess. There are always tons of younger single people, of both sexes. At least, there are both here and in Romania in every parish I ever attended. Of course, if you're actually in Romania chances are that most people around you are Orthodox in or out of church. I met my wife whilst doing aid work in Romania.

James

No, I have not been to a Romanian parish, though one of the guys at Church has a pretty Romanian wife so perhaps I should ask him for some tips!   Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: