OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 12:03:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talking to the priest about serving on the altar (?)  (Read 387 times) Average Rating: 0
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« on: July 11, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »

Hello all,

A few years ago the priest at my church had encouraged me to serve on the altar and I was very much happy at this opportunity. However, because I was in the choir as well, the choir director was very reluctant to "let me go" and I would alternate every week from being on the altar to being in the choir. Needless to say, when that priest left I served only in the choir and

I want to be obedient to those who are "above" me, but I also feel that God might be calling me to serve at the altar. It has and I think will have a positive effect on my personal spiritual life as well as discern whether or not I am called to the priesthood.

How should I approach this situation? I do not want to seem prideful or arrogant and "demand" that I be on the altar, but I also want to heed God's call if that is what He is indeed calling me to. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:28:05 AM »

Just talk to your current priest, telling him what you told us about the history of why you alternate. Are you truly needed in the choir or are there others who could step up to fill your shoes every Sunday? When I stopped doing something at another parish, it was the push needed for other people to step up and do the work. They just needed me to not do it all the time.
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »

The choir director really shouldn't have much say here.  If you want to serve at the altar, do it.  There's nothing stopping you.  And there's nothing stopping you from singing with the choir when you're on the altar, too.  Your choir director should know that.  If anything, your experience singing in the choir AND serving at the altar is a major plus, because it seems to me most altar servers bypass singing in the choir entirely, moving from acolyte on up to deacon or priest without leaving the altar.  I know I've never sang in the choir, and having that particular skill set would be helpful.

There should be joy that you want to increase your participation, not a turf war. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: