OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:51:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to be baptised  (Read 1037 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew - The First Called

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions

« on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »

Tomorrow I shall finally be baptised and chrismated into the Coptic Orthodox Church, I ask for the prayers of all on this forum for this joyful event.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »

Tomorrow I shall finally be baptised and chrismated into the Coptic Orthodox Church, I ask for the prayers of all on this forum for this joyful event.

God grant you many years!

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

Congratulations!

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »

Many years!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »

Christ is Risen!
How beautiful! Praise God! Welcome Home dear! Welcome to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church! Welcome to the communion of the saints!
 "Therefore let us also, seeing we are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us" Hebrews 12:1 
Here is the joyful welcome of one of our most beloved fathers of the Orthodox Church: St. John Chrysostom’s, Pascal sermon. Got this version from wikipedia  Smiley

If anyone is devout and a lover of God, let them enjoy this beautiful and radiant festival.
If anyone is a grateful servant, let them, rejoicing, enter into the joy of his Lord.
If anyone has wearied themselves in fasting, let them now receive recompense.
If anyone has labored from the first hour, let them today receive the just reward.
If anyone has come at the third hour, with thanksgiving let them feast.
If anyone has arrived at the sixth hour, let them have no misgivings; for they shall suffer no loss.
If anyone has delayed until the ninth hour, let them draw near without hesitation.
If anyone has arrived even at the eleventh hour, let them not fear on account of tardiness.
For the Master is gracious and receives the last even as the first; He gives rest to him that comes at the eleventh hour, just as to him who has labored from the first.
He has mercy upon the last and cares for the first; to the one He gives, and to the other He is gracious.
He both honors the work and praises the intention.
Enter all of you, therefore, into the joy of our Lord, and, whether first or last, receive your reward.
O rich and poor, one with another, dance for joy!
O you ascetics and you negligent, celebrate the day!
You that have fasted and you that have disregarded the fast, rejoice today!
The table is rich-laden: feast royally, all of you!
The calf is fatted: let no one go forth hungry!
Let all partake of the feast of faith. Let all receive the riches of goodness.
Let no one lament their poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed.
Let no one mourn their transgressions, for pardon has dawned from the grave.
Let no one fear death, for the Savior’s death has set us free.
He that was taken by death has annihilated it!
He descended into Hades and took Hades captive!
He embittered it when it tasted His flesh! And anticipating this, Isaiah exclaimed: "Hades was embittered when it encountered Thee in the lower regions".
It was embittered, for it was abolished!
It was embittered, for it was mocked!
It was embittered, for it was purged!
It was embittered, for it was despoiled!
It was embittered, for it was bound in chains!
It took a body and came upon God!
It took earth and encountered Heaven!
It took what it saw, but crumbled before what can not seen!
O death, where is thy sting?
O Hades, where is thy victory?
Christ is risen, and you are overthrown!
Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen!
Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice!
Christ is risen, and life reigns!
Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in a tomb!
For Christ, being raised from the dead has become the first-fruits of them that have slept.
To Him be glory and might unto the ages of ages.
Amen.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »

Many years.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »

God bless. Which Saint are you going to be baptised/chrismated after?

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »

Well as my name is Andrew I was just baptised after St Andrew, the first called of the apostles and martyr. Thank you everyone for your kind words, God bless you all.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »

Well as my name is Andrew I was just baptised after St Andrew, the first called of the apostles and martyr. Thank you everyone for your kind words, God bless you all.

Congratulations! Many years! Keep your eyes on the goal! Cool

mtmamma

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »

Congratulations.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »

Andrew,

I see you are from Ireland?  I'm guessing that your formerly an RC?  What reason's made you abandon Catholicism (Which is the historical religion of the Irish people)?  What have you found in Coptic Orthodoxy that was lacking in the RCC?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »

alf mabrook!
(1,000 congratulations)

my irish friend who is coptic converted from a non-Christian religion, not from being catholic. not all irish people are catholic.
if u are in ireland, probably u r in bishop antony's diocese.
he's a really lovely bishop and a great example to all of us how to serve God in the midst of suffering and illness.
may God reward him and all the priests and all people who work hard to spread the good news of our saviour.
cs

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »

Congratulations and welcome!

Thanks for sharing your great news Smiley
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »

Andrew,

I see you are from Ireland?  I'm guessing that your formerly an RC?  What reason's made you abandon Catholicism (Which is the historical religion of the Irish people)?  What have you found in Coptic Orthodoxy that was lacking in the RCC?
I've heard that before Rome took over and Latinized the Christianity in Ireland, Irish Christian spirituality had much more in common with Coptic spirituality than with any other.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »

Andrew,

I've heard that before Rome took over and Latinized the Christianity in Ireland, Irish Christian spirituality had much more in common with Coptic spirituality than with any other.
I have heard that St Patrick was actually trained by Coptic Monks. But, I don't know for sure...

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »

May God grant you many years!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 02:21:52 AM »

Many years!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

it wasn't saint patrick himself, but there is an old irish prayer commemorating the 'seven coptic monks' from before the time of saint patrick.
they were some of the many missionaries from many backgrounds who established the church in ireland.

the moral of the story:
keep preaching, share your faith, take risks, give your life to God, and many beautiful things will come from that.
 Smiley

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »

In Reply to

Robb: Actually I'm from the North East of England, the name of the diocese is a little misleading as our Cathedral is in Newcastle in the north east not in Ireland, although I am of Irish descent (4th generation) with quite a few Catholic relatives. As a former Anglican I did at one point consider Catholicism but I was initially put off by poor liturgy, I quite like the Novus Ordo when its done well but I quickly grew sick of communion in the hand, worship songs, priests in horse blankets facing the people, female eucharistic ministers cleaning the communion vessels as though they were mere dishes (don't think I'm anti women, it just sets the image). The beauty and dignity of the Orthodox liturgy attracted me to the Church and knowing how ancient the Coptic liturgy was brought me to the Coptic Church and then reading about the Christological controvesy, the Orthodox faith etc. Made me realise that the Orthodox faith is the true one and that the Coptic Church was as Orthodox as any EO one. And thats my story  Smiley

Severian and PeterTheAleut: Ireland does have an Orthodox history even though Catholicism is more rooted culturally. Seven Coptic monks did travel to and preach in Ireland, although St Patrick was mainly responsible for evangelising Ireland. As a Briton I think he may have been trained in Britain but I'm not sure.

mabsoota: Thank you very much. As I say I'm from North East so I am in Bishop Antony's diocese and he is a lovely Bishop, in fact I saw him last Sunday before the baptism and received his blessing.

Thank you all again, God bless.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »

@Andrew and Mabsoota Thanks for the info.  Smiley

Aegyptoc

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »

Congratulations!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: