OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visit of His Holiness Karekin II to the Archbishop of Canterbury  (Read 2313 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: June 25, 2004, 06:54:24 PM »

Visit of His Holiness Karekin II to the Archbishop of Canterbury

Wednesday 9 June 2004

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, will host a five-day visit from His Holiness Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians, from Thursday 10 June until Monday 14 June 2004.

During the visit His Holiness will take part in a number of meetings and consultations. He will also attend a reception at Lambeth Palace, be guest of honour at a Nikaean Club dinner, attend Evensong at Westminster Abbey on Friday 11th June and preach at the Eucharist on Sunday morning in Canterbury Cathedral on Sunday 13th June. During the course of the visit His Holiness will be received at Buckingham Palace by Her Majesty the Queen.

His Holiness Karekin II is the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians. He presides of the Supreme Spiritual Council of the Armenian Apostolic Church, and is the chief pastor of the Armenian Church throughout the world.

Dr Williams said, “I am delighted to welcome His Holiness Karekin II to my home in Lambeth and to my own diocese of Canterbury. There is a long history of warm personal relationships between the Church of England and the Armenian Apostolic Church, and I look forward to renewing my friendship with the Catholicos and building up the links between our Churches.”

Notes to editors:

The Armenian Apostolic Church has approximately 7 million members, and Armenia established Christianity as the official religion in 301 AD, the first country to do so. In 2001 the 1700th anniversary was celebrated in Holy Etchmiadzin, the ecclesiastical capital of Armenia and the seat of the Catholicos, and the celebrations were attended by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, representing the Queen, by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, and by many other church and political leaders.

Biography:

His Holiness Karekin II, was born on 21st August 1951 in the village of Voskehat near Etchmiadzin. He entered the Theological Seminary of Holy Etchmiadzin in 1965, graduating with honours in 1971. For a year after his graduation, he taught New Testament at the Theological Seminary. In 1970 he was ordained a deacon, and in 1972 a celibate priest.

Shortly thereafter, HH Vasken I Catholicos of All Armenians sent the new priest to Vienna to study theology. In 1975, Fr. Nersissian moved to Germany, where he studied and graduated from Bonn University, while serving as pastor to the local Armenian Community. Following a brief return to Armenia, he enrolled to postgraduate studies at the Russian Orthodox Academy in Zagorsk, Russia, from which he graduated in 1979.

In March 1980 he entered the service of the Armenian Pontifical Diocese, the Armenian Church's most populous diocesan jurisdiction, which incorporates the capital Yerevan and the vicinity of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin. He was appointed the head of that Diocese in June 1983 and soon was elevated to the rank of bishop on 23rd October of the same year, by His Holiness Vasken I. In November 1992 he was granted the title of Archbishop.

In November 1998 Archbishop Karekin Nersissian was appointed as Pontifical Vicar by His Holiness Karekin I and served in this capacity until the death of the late Catholicos.

On 27th October 1999, the National-Ecclesiastical Assembly held in Holy Etchmiadzin, elected Archbishop Karekin Nersissian Catholicos who thus became Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians. The consecration and enthronement of the Catholicos took place on 4th November 1999.

Extracts from the visit:

Friday 11 Evensong at Westminster Abbey followed by a private visit to the Shrine of St Edward and the 20th century martyrs

Sunday 13 Eucharist at 11.00. The Archbishop of Canterbury to preside, His Holiness to preach

Monday 14 His Holiness returns to London

- http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/releases/040609.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 06:55:00 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

Interesting news Ben.  I wonder if they'll broach the discussion of the ordination of homosexual bishops in the Anglican communion.  All of the Oriental Orthodox Churches issued strong statements against this.  Still, it is good that they can sit down and talk.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 07:23:59 PM »

Yes it is very good, I would also be interested to know if the ordination of openly homosexual men to the episcopate was discussed.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 07:29:30 PM »

I actually have had some pleasant experiences with "High Anglican" monastics (and no, I don't mean they were "high" as in smoking something!  Wink).  I was surprised to find monastics at all in the Protestant world.  These were nuns, and they were eager to point out the similarities between the rules they follow and those of Orthodox monastics.  Its really too bad that the Anglicans have gone the way the have.  I'm glad that the BOC is around to present an authentic model of Western Orthodoxy.  At one time, that is what I hoped the High Anglicans would become.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 07:33:13 PM »

Yes there are many High Church Anglican Monks and Nuns, with their origins in the Oxford movement, that don't seem too different than those monastics in other Chiristian Communions. It is quite refreshing!

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 07:37:25 PM »

During the course of my research I have done a little research about the origins of Christianity in Britain.  Did you know what an influence Coptic Orthodox had their in the formative centuries?  Writing in 1898, the renowned historian Stanley Lane-Poole remarked: “We do not yet know how much we in the British Isles owe to these remote hermits.  It is more probable that to them we are indebted for the first preaching of the Gospel in England, where, till the coming of Augustine, the Egyptian monastic rule prevailed.  But more important is the belief that Irish Christianity, the great civilizing agent of the early Middle Ages among the northern nations, was the child of the Egyptian Church.  Seven Egyptians monks are buried at Disert Uldith, and there is much in the ceremonies and architecture of Ireland in the earliest time that reminds one of still earlier Christian remains in Egypt.  Everyone knows that the handicraft of the Irish monks in the ninth and tenth centuries far excelled anything that could be found elsewhere in Europe; and if the Byzantine-looking decoration of their splendid gold and silver work, and their unrivalled (sic) illuminations, can be traced to the influence of Egyptian missionaries, we have more to thank the Copts for than has been imagined”.  Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 07:39:35 PM »

Yep...certainly does make you go "hmmmmm". It is a interesting issue, that can turn into a great discussion, and a heated debate. I myself am doing a little research on the issue now. Smiley

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 07:51:34 PM »

Yep...certainly does make you go "hmmmmm". It is a interesting issue, that can turn into a great discussion, and a heated debate. I myself am doing a little research on the issue now. Smiley

I wrote a paper on it a while back.  I'll start another thread.  Maybe something will turn up that will help you with your research! Smiley

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 07:52:36 PM »

Thanks!

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 08:05:46 PM »

No problem.  Did you see the new thread?  Since you're researching the topic, I'm interested in your assessment.

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 08:10:04 PM »

Yes I did see the new thread, I can't wait for a few replies, and then I'll jump in. Smiley

paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 09:44:23 AM »

Archbishop of Canterbury recently praised a distorted version of the Bible.

-Paul
Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 01:43:05 PM »

Well, I don't mean to be offensive, but they have been doing a lot of distorted stuff in that church lately, including ordaining openly homosexual bishops.

paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 06:11:49 PM »

Hi Nick, Here is the link (accessed 28 June 2004):

Canterbury backs updated Bible

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3833693.stm

[BBC News, UK]

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 08:18:20 PM »

:- Very troubling.  But I did chuckle when I read the link which said that the Archbishop of Canterbury might make a guest appearance on the Simpsons.  Now there's a church you can take seriously! D'oh!

Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 01:13:45 AM »

Hi Nick, Here is the link (accessed 28 June 2004):

Canterbury backs updated Bible

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3833693.stm

[BBC News, UK]

Paul
This is the sort of perversion of Christianity that we unfortunately witness in the Western society. However, we Eastern Christians pervert Christianity in our own ways though life that is very contrary to the faith we proudly uphold to have been kept unchanged for centuries.

We can only hope that we Syriac Christians (regardless our internal problems) can shine the light to those seeking unadulterated Christianity; surely though we need to keep our own house in order to make that happen.

An interesting tidbit - A 1639 edition of the KJV Bible had printed "Thou shall commit adultery"! Of course a typo, but I cannot help thinking when I hear of contemporary scandals that some Christians probably have taken that as scripture!

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: