OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:20:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the Orthodox disobey God in their practice?  (Read 10615 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »

When any person has been taught from the mouth of another, he is called the son of his instructor. And the instructor is call his father. - Irenaeus(180 A.D.)

I intend to leave good children to posterity. This is the case with children of our bodies. But words are offspring of the soul. Hence, we call those who have instructed us, fathers. - Clement of Alexandria(195 A.D.)

The holy apostles -- Peter, James, John, and Paul -- the sons receiving it from the fathers (but few were like fathers). - Clement of Alexandria(195 A.D.)

You and I understand this, but to play Devil's Advocate (no other wording, sorry Yesh Smiley ) as a MJ, the early fathers dont carry as much weight as they do to Yesh as with us. He would look for a scriptural response.

primuspilus
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:36:32 PM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2011, 04:02:56 PM »

Its pretty obvious that St. Paul and Timothy had a father/son relationship, in fact a few times I do remember seeing the word "Son" in there, so I wonder if Timothy called him father on occasion.
Maybe Timothy was more humble than Paul (1 Cor 4:17, 1 Tim 1:2,18, 2 Tim 1:2) and Mark more humble than Peter (1 Peter 5:13)  since Yesh loves setting the Scriptures against themselves.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

Maybe Timothy was more humble than Paul (1 Cor 4:17, 1 Tim 1:2,18, 2 Tim 1:2) and Mark more humble than Peter (1 Peter 5:13)  since Yesh loves setting the Scriptures against themselves

Ba-ZING!   laugh

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
fatman2021
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Banned

Jurisdiction: Russian Old-Orthodox Church

Protopope Avvakum, pray for us.

« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »

Now Elisha saw it, and he cried out, "My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen! - 2 Kings 2:12

Though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. - 1 Cor. 4:15

But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel. - Phil 2:22

Was not father Abraham  justified by works? - Jas 2:21; see also Luke 16:24, 25; Acts 7:2; 22:1.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:58:39 PM by fatman2021 » Logged

O God be merciful to me a sinner. You, O Lord who created me, have mercy on me. I have sinned without number,O Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me, a sinner.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »

Though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. - 1 Cor. 4:15

Thats the kicker for me right there. As I said before, IMO, Jesus was telling the apostles directly not to call anyone father because they had highest authority.

no way around the father thing now...nail in the coffin, via fatman (are you named for the weapon in Fallout? ( laugh )

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »

Folks: The time has come to bid goodbye to this thread. Thank you all for your participation and patience. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: priests Protestant Christianity 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: