OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pews in Churches & Monasteries in Lebanon  (Read 303 times) Average Rating: 0
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« on: July 10, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »

First off, I want to say this is not created for any kind of debate. The pews vs no pews issue has been discussed to death and won't get us anywhere. I'm asking anyone who wants to debate it to please refrain or I'll ask for it to be closed.

When I visited Lebanon about 10 years ago, I noticed they had pews. I expected that. The only place I was surprised by the pews was in the monasteries. One thing I noticed was they had regular pews and then the monastic stalls on the side (this is both in monasteries and parishes). A lot of the younger guys stood in the stalls. I also noticed that nobody sat, except for a few older people, even during the sermon. I found that pretty interesting.

So, my question and the purpose of this thread. This is strictly a historical question and not for debating if it's right or wrong. I'm just wondering if anyone knows when and why they started putting in pews and the general attitude towards them(as I said, no one really sat in them which I suppose says a lot). My dad says they were there from as early as he can remember (he grew up there).

Just curious on the history of it.
Tags: pews 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: