OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 06:15:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting on the move  (Read 481 times) Average Rating: 0
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« on: July 10, 2011, 05:53:24 AM »

Please can you tell me what happens to a convert who is continually on the move with work. I move roughly every six months, although i have remained in one place for just over a year, that's not usual for me.

I can see how important it is for a priest to get to know who they are discipling and wonder if references would be an acceptable and useful aid for someone in my situation.

~ Dyhn
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »

I think it would be very helpful that, when you move from one location to another, that you try to have your former priest speak with your new priest. That way not all of your progress in terms of the Church's relationship to you will have been lost, and you can actually maintain some progress, even if it be slower than others.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »

I'll second what deusveritasest said, and I'm speaking from experience. Much the same way myself as far as the moving around goes, it helped to have contact information from one priest to the next, whether it be phone number or e-mail.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

Along with what has already been said, if you know where you are going, take the time to find a parish that would best suit you as an inquirer (liturgy in english if possible, priest that speaks english well and can give clear instruction, etc), and talk to your new priest when you get there (are you enquirer or catechumen, what have you learned, what do you know of that you would want instruction on, etc). I'm not saying to circumvent having your old priest talking to your new priest, only to establish a firm understanding and relationship with your new priest once you get there.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »

Since you're not a catechumen, there's no need to provide references.  But, once you make that decision, it is important to stay in one place.  Main reason being that the priest is responsible for giving Holy Communion and he needs to know the person.  It's also an important relationship.  May I ask what your job is?  Is it something that brings you back around to the previous places?  At least the priests get to see you again.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:46:30 PM »

Since you're not a catechumen, there's no need to provide references.  But, once you make that decision, it is important to stay in one place.  Main reason being that the priest is responsible for giving Holy Communion and he needs to know the person.  It's also an important relationship.  May I ask what your job is?  Is it something that brings you back around to the previous places?  At least the priests get to see you again.

I'd have to disagree on the not providing references if one is not a catechumen. There's a bit of difference between someone who has just been attending for a few months and hasn't read much and someone who has been around for 5-6 months and is perhaps ready to become a catechumen.

It would make sense for Dhyn's old priest to say to the new priest, "Dhyn has been attending for X number of months and has read X, he's a regular at Liturgy and is possibly ready to become a catechumen."

As for the staying in one place, it sounds like that is not possible with the OP's employment situation. If your job requires you to move, it requires you to move.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:47:21 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:44 AM »

Thank you for the suggestions, very helpful indeed! I think it's important that i make myself known to the priest as soon as i begin attending and explain my work situation. It's good advice that if he knows me well, he will feel more comfotable providing references for when i am eventually made catechumen. Although that might be a while away, i do agree it's a good idea to be someone who is known to several priests, while i'm moving around, rather than unknown and in the background. I think it will be more helpful for them in their decision making.

~ Dyhn
Tags: moving  convert 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: