OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox saints vs.Catholic saints  (Read 3826 times) Average Rating: 0
queen

OC.net

« on: June 25, 2004, 05:45:37 PM »

Hi, I'm new here to this board.
I am greek orthodox and have been all my life, born and raised, baptized, married in the G.O. church and 2 children baptized in the greek orthodox church.  ( my husband is not Greek Orthodox nor Catholic... but he attended an Episcopalian church growing up.

I am open to the Catholic church, and interested in their saints as well as the Orthodox ones.
I have noticed that the feast days of many, if not all of the "same" saints are different. Different from the two churches.
Does anyone know why?

And also, their "lives" tend to be different.

I don't know if there is an answer to this.

Thank you all

queen Smiley
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 11:00:35 PM »

Welcome, Queen,

I'm one of the Anglican hanger-abouts. Could you give a 'for instance'?  I'm not sure what you mean about different days as (for example) St. Nicolas of Myra is December 6th for RC, EO and Anglican as far as I'm aware.  Granted, he's one of the 'biggies'.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
queen

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 11:17:42 PM »

Yes... thank  you for responding.
Two that come to mind right off the bat are St. Michael the archangel... on the greek orthodox calendar his feast day is November 8...the catholic calendar is September 29.

St. Marina (the young girl who pretended to be a monk) the greek calendar July 17... the catholic calendar June 18.

these two are a few of my favorites along with St. Anne.

Thanks for any help.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 11:24:18 PM »

Hmmm.  I'd have to look up the story of St. Marina.  I can't bring it to mind (To quote Indiana Jones' father in "I. J. and the Last Crusade": "I wrote it down so I wouldn't have to remember it."  Cheesy)  My first wonder would be is one Church date her death and the other another significant date in her life?  But that wouldn't apply to an Archangel, of course.  Could they be 2 different St. Marina's?  If they have different stories, that occured to me.

In the Anglican tradition Sept. 29th is the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels.  I wonder if the November date is just for him.  Or that it marks an appearance/rescue/icon.

Just random thoughts before I wander off and look things up.

Ebor
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 11:25:33 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
queen

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 01:53:40 AM »

Thanks again... I always remember the feast day of St. Michael being on November 8 because in my family we have alot of Michaels. and we celebrated this day for years.

St. Marina the martyr was a young girl and was imprisoned along with alot of other horrible things that happened to her. the devil appeared to her as a snake (I think)  she made the sign of the cross and the snake-devil burst into flames.

There is listed another St. Marina from Spain I believe ...this I found from the Catholic site. Her feast day is also June 18... if I read it correctly, these two Marinas may be the same?  it's just in Spain she is regarded differently?  anyway both of these St. Marina's have their feast day on June 18 whereas July 17 is the Greek Orthodox day for her.

http://www.ionianvillage.org/saints/marina.html
try this link about her.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 01:58:22 AM by queen » Logged
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 06:48:30 PM »

Queen, If my memory serves me right you sometimes come across different dates for feast days between Greek and Russian churches. (This is not a calendar issue I am referring too).

It is afterwards that events are best understood
queen

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 02:31:19 AM »

Hi Etienne... thank you for your reply.

Interesting fact about the russian and greek churches.  all this time I thought it was a catholic (western) orthodox (eastern) "thing".

Hmm.. I wonder why there are so many differences. different information from different sources? I still wonder though if the catholic vs. orthodox though is all in the calendar..  I could be wrong though.

thanks for you input.
If you find out anything else please let me know. Smiley

queen
Tags: saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: