OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 07:12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great quotes on Jesus  (Read 634 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: July 09, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »

This thread is to contain quotes of Christ from both Christians and non-Christians.

Some of my favorites:
I am an historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.--H.G. Wells

As the centuries pass, the evidence is accumulating that, measured by His effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. -- Historian Kenneth Scott Latourette

A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act. --Mahatma Gandhi

I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are very wise and very beautiful; but I never read in either of them: "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden." --Augustine

Buddha never claimed to be God. Moses never claimed to be Jehovah. Mohammed never claimed to be Allah. Yet Jesus Christ claimed to be the true and living God. Buddha simply said, "I am a teacher in search of the truth." Jesus said, "I am the Truth." Confucius said, "I never claimed to be holy." Jesus said, "Who convicts me of sin?" Mohammed said, "Unless God throws his cloak of mercy over me, I have no hope." Jesus said, "Unless you believe in me, you will die in your sins." --Unknown

I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creation of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. –Napoleon

Despite our efforts to keep him out, God intrudes. The life of Jesus is bracketed by two impossibilities: "a virgin's womb and an empty tomb". Jesus entered our world through a door marked,"No Entrance" and left through a door marked "No Exit." --Peter Larson

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »

Some interesting threads lately Aposphet! Nice quote from St. Augustine.

On the pinacle of human being, by my long time friend who would hate my emoticon:

Caesar with the soul of Christ. -- Nietzsche

And his thoughts on the possibility of being a Christian:

In truth, there was only one Christian, and he died on the cross.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »

Do you have a source for that Napoleon quote? Not because I don't believe he said it (it's the type of thing he might have said), but because I have an academic context I'd like to use it in.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:54:08 AM »

Do you have a source for that Napoleon quote? Not because I don't believe he said it (it's the type of thing he might have said), but because I have an academic context I'd like to use it in.

Here is a place to see it in reputable print sources:

http://www.godtheoriginalintent.com/PDF%20Chapters/Napoleon%20Bonaparte.pdf

wiki and the following link say the quote is unsourced:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Napoleon_I_of_France

http://www.bookrags.com/quotes/Napoleon_I_of_France

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:05:50 AM »

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to. ... Now it seems to me obvious that He was neither a lunatic nor a fiend: and consequently, however strange or terrifying or unlikely it may seem, I have to accept the view that He was and is God." -- everyone's favourite, CS Lewis

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:44:07 AM »

Great thread! Thanks.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: