Author Topic: Western Rite Seminaries in America  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Nero

Western Rite Seminaries in America
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
Just a general question. I'm a Traditionalist Roman Catholic who was discerning a vocation to the RC priesthood before I discovered Orthodoxy. How does the Western Rite subset of Orthodox Church handle seminary instruction for those who want to become ordained and celebrate the Western Rite specifically?

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
Re: Western Rite Seminaries in America
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
When I went to Holy Cross mamy moons ago, a good friend of mine was an Antiochian seminarian who wished to serve in a Western Rite parish.

Basically he was trained in both Byzantine as well as Western Rite through his involvement in the seminary as well as his special Antiochian sponsored training. Once he left Holy Cross he only served in one rite, however.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
Just a general question. I'm a Traditionalist Roman Catholic who was discerning a vocation to the RC priesthood before I discovered Orthodoxy. How does the Western Rite subset of Orthodox Church handle seminary instruction for those who want to become ordained and celebrate the Western Rite specifically?

There are various Western Rite subsets, so it's all up to the specific subset you get involved in. For example, there are WR parishes in ROCOR and there are some in the Antiochian Archdiocese. The Antiochians send people to either Holy Cross or SVS for the normal course of study, with some added personal coaching thrown in (as FrChris mentioned). I believe Holy Cross is the preferred location, since the Antiochians' leading WR teleturgics guy is in Boston. But ultimately Met. Philip decides where seminarians go.

Not sure how ROCOR does it. I would assume through Jordanville.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:17:49 PM by pensateomnia »
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Nashotah House?  ;D ;) ;D

Offline Young Believer

• Jordanville Journal
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
There are various Western Rite subsets, so it's all up to the specific subset you get involved in. For example, there are WR parishes in ROCOR and there are some in the Antiochian Archdiocese. The Antiochians send people to either Holy Cross or SVS for the normal course of study, with some added personal coaching thrown in (as FrChris mentioned). I believe Holy Cross is the preferred location, since the Antiochians' leading WR teleturgics guy is in Boston. But ultimately Met. Philip decides where seminarians go.

Not sure how ROCOR does it. I would assume through Jordanville.

At Jordanville we do not have any training in WR liturgics. As far as I know such training is done informally through the various priests of our vicariate. Vladika Jerome of Manhattan would probably be the person to contact because he is in charge of the WR parishes.