OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:25:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current status of the WR in Philipppines  (Read 680 times) Average Rating: 0
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« on: July 09, 2011, 01:07:21 AM »

Good news on another e-list from Bishop Jerome who writes:

> The ROCOR WR in Britain has not been dissolved.
> I am hoping to visit the UK this year, and ordain
> someone to carry on the ministry.

Do you know of the fate of the SPM Asian Missions in the Philippines who don't have a priest and I assume are reliant on the visitation of SPM clerics? 

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »

Do you know of the fate of the SPM Asian Missions in the Philippines who don't have a priest and I assume are reliant on the visitation of SPM clerics? 

To the best of my knowledge they have never been visited by Fr Michael or Fr Barry (and I do not think there are any other SPM clerics?)

With two parishes and around 250 souls they are the largest parishes in the ROCA's WR Vicariate.

http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com/698-2/

SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »

To the best of my knowledge they have never been visited by Fr Michael or Fr Barry (and I do not think there are any other SPM clerics?)

With two parishes and around 250 souls they are the largest parishes in the ROCA's WR Vicariate.

Given that Antioch is very active in the Philippines, it is a wonder that their AWRV has not sought a canonical release for these two enthusiastic congregations to join them. Given the success of Hieromonk Michael in winning these souls for Orthodoxy, it is a pity that he is not enabled to spend time there catechizing and making Orthodox these congregations at least one of which I read somewhere was ex-Old Catholic or Independent Catholic. 

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:32:41 AM »

Given that Antioch is very active in the Philippines, it is a wonder that their AWRV has not sought a canonical release for these two enthusiastic congregations to join them. Given the success of Hieromonk Michael in winning these souls for Orthodoxy, it is a pity that he is not enabled to spend time there catechizing and making Orthodox these congregations at least one of which I read somewhere was ex-Old Catholic or Independent Catholic. 

These two parishes in the Antiochian Vicariate of Mindanao were gifted to the Russian Church Abroad by the Antiochian Archbishop Paul (Saliba.)   He found that he could not cope with the huge numbers of WR converts in the Philippines.  So the Russian Church simply benefited from the work already done by the Antiochians.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:47:35 AM »

These two parishes in the Antiochian Vicariate of Mindanao were gifted to the Russian Church Abroad by the Antiochian Archbishop Paul (Saliba.)   He found that he could not cope with the huge numbers of WR converts in the Philippines.  So the Russian Church simply benefited from the work already done by the Antiochians.

Dear Father Ambrose,

Father Bless!

Is there a link to the WR in the Philippines?

Several Filipinos in the USA have asked me about it. They visit their homeland frequently.

Respectfully yours in Christ,
Maria
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:48:21 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:30:44 AM »

Is there a link to the WR in the Philippines?

Several Filipinos in the USA have asked me about it. They visit their homeland frequently.

Respectfully yours in Christ,
Maria

Probably the most knowledgeable person, apart from the Antiochian Archbishop in Sydney,  is Fr John D'Alton.

You can find his contact details on the forum.  Here is his forum profile
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2260

SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »

These two parishes in the Antiochian Vicariate of Mindanao were gifted to the Russian Church Abroad by the Antiochian Archbishop Paul (Saliba.)   He found that he could not cope with the huge numbers of WR converts in the Philippines.  So the Russian Church simply benefited from the work already done by the Antiochians.
So did they choose ROCOR because it had a WR?  If so, how were they received?  have they had the sacraments since the Antiochians left them in the care of ROCOR?  Did Vladyka Hilarion give responsibility to SPM to run these missions?  One has to feel for them if they have had no ROCOR WR priests spending time - not just to give the Mysteries but to catechize, to support, to show Gospel love.  One has to wonder, if they were/are priestless whether they would have been far better off in the Byzantine rite with on the ground Antiochian priests, established community etc?  Orthodoxy is a precious gift - and to risk losing it because a community has no priest for presumably years now would just be terrible. 
With SPM out of the picture in the Philippines, who will care for these missions for the Russian Western-rite Vicariate? 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:57:55 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:11:07 AM »

So did they choose ROCOR because it had a WR?  If so, how were they received?  have they had the sacraments since the Antiochians left them in the care of ROCOR?  Did Vladyka Hilarion give responsibility to SPM to run these missions?  One has to feel for them if they have had no ROCOR WR priests spending time - not just to give the Mysteries but to catechize, to support, to show Gospel love.  One has to wonder, if they were/are priestless whether they would have been far better off in the Byzantine rite with on the ground Antiochian priests, established community etc?  Orthodoxy is a precious gift - and to risk losing it because a community has no priest for presumably years now would just be terrible. 
With SPM out of the picture in the Philippines, who will care for these missions for the Russian Western-rite Vicariate? 

His Grace Bishop Jerome will have accurate answers at his fingertips.  He writes on the Western Rite Yahoo e-list Occidentalis.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: