OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:13:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we really "earn" our way into heaven?  (Read 965 times) Average Rating: 0
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« on: July 09, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »

I was recently watching a video of an Orthodox teacher, and he was saying that the goal of this life is to "earn" paradise in the next.

The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u13y__BCI60&feature=share

I find this very confusing. Is it really possible to "earn" heaven? Doesn't Paul teach that entry into heaven is a free gift from God?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:31:58 AM »

I was recently watching a video of an Orthodox teacher, and he was saying that the goal of this life is to "earn" paradise in the next.

The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u13y__BCI60&feature=share

I find this very confusing. Is it really possible to "earn" heaven? Doesn't Paul teach that entry into heaven is a free gift from God?

St. Paul encourages us to "run the race."

Who mentioned that we should pile up treasures in heaven?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »

We don't earn a place in heaven.  However, we do have to cooperate with the grace that we are given.  Salvation is not a matter of grace alone (that's Protestantism).  It is a matter of receiving the grace of God and DOING something with it.

Hope that helps.
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »

I always have a problem with the whole concept of heaven as it is now conceived.

Apart from the fact that it seems to lack any real theological base in the sense that we use the term now, Jesus seems to be saying something else.

Certainly Jesus used the word 'heaven' but generally in relation the 'Kingdom of heaven' and then in parables which illustrated what the Kingdom of heaven' was like.  Matthew 13 is full of these references.  In this respect it appears that Jesus is directing our attention to what we do now - the Kingdom that is.  Certainly there are eschatological nuances in his words, but Jesus was not indicating that 'heaven' is some sort of 'get out of jail' free card - heaven was not a reward system for good behaviour.

So heaven is not a 'rewards system' for customer loyalty.  It heaven is not a reward bonus then it appears we cannot, by definition, 'earn' our what into something we have labelled 'heaven'.

But we can present the 'Kingdom of heaven' now on earth if we follow those principles outlined by Jesus.  And ushering in the Kingdom of heaven is achieved by our closer relationship to God - by becoming more 'like' God we also 'bring' the Kingdom.

What happens after death is another matter.     

Not all those who wander are lost.
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »

wayseer, I was specifically referring to the afterlife, and/or union with God.

Paul has warned us in Galatians to not try to achieve this goal by human effort. Yet he also said "work out your salvation". Is he contradicting himself?
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »

We cannot earn our way into heaven it is a gift of God dependent on our repentance, turning to God and then doing works worthy of repentance (see St. Paul's directive in Acts 26:20 and then Ephesians 2:8-10).

Antiochian OC N.A.
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:15:59 AM »

wayseer, I was specifically referring to the afterlife, and/or union with God.

Paul has warned us in Galatians to not try to achieve this goal by human effort. Yet he also said "work out your salvation". Is he contradicting himself?

Saint Paul was treading where no one had stepped before - he working out a theology which understood the risen Christ.  He was convinced that the Eschaton was imminent so he was not too concerned what might have happen after death. 

On the matter of 'working one's salvation' I think the reference is to be found in Philippians 2: 12.  Here Paul is talking about the 'work' one does in the body of the Church.

Paul is difficult to read at the best of time but if you take scripture from different places in order to generate a theology you run the risk of divorcing Paul's statements from their context - which Is what I suggest you have done here.   

Not all those who wander are lost.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:58:23 AM »

We certainly don't earn it. Really, the idea of us being worthy of anything God has given us, even our lives in creation, is absurd. How can we judge ourselves to be worthy of such things that always can be seen to be transcendent to us? So speaking of us earning our glorification is naturally errant. But that certainly doesn't mean that what we do will have no bearing on how God will judge us. They are two very different issues.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »

Perhaps the disconnect is coming from the way we sometimes tend to think about salvation - which is more than our eventual eternal destination.
Salvation is healing and wholeness and restoration.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »

We don't earn our salvation any more than the woman with the issue of blood earned her healing by making her way through the crowd, Zachaeus earned the honor of having Christ stay in his home by climbing that tree, or Peter earned meeting Christ on the water when he got out of the boat. Just to name a few examples of how having to put effort into something in order to obtain it doesn't negate the fact that it is still a gift freely given by God, that is biblically speaking.

We have to put work and effort into our salvation, God owes us nothing but gives us that which He promises if we persevere.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 04:19:28 AM »

We don't earn our salvation any more than the woman with the issue of blood earned her healing by making her way through the crowd, Zachaeus earned the honor of having Christ stay in his home by climbing that tree, or Peter earned meeting Christ on the water when he got out of the boat. Just to name a few examples of how having to put effort into something in order to obtain it doesn't negate the fact that it is still a gift freely given by God, that is biblically speaking.

We have to put work and effort into our salvation, God owes us nothing but gives us that which He promises if we persevere.

Yep!

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Philoumenos
Wishes Jews Would Come to Christ

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 04:57:23 AM »

Well said!

“If my sons did not want war, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnapper, wife of Mayer Amschel Rothschild

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »

Is it really possible to "earn" heaven?
No, but you can "urn" your way to heaven.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »

I'd like to clarify what is being said here in case i have misunderstood.

The 'working out' of our salvation, is the journey towards wholeness, towards God, and the gift of God, which is free, lest any man should boast, is the hope of resurrection on judgement day.

~ Dyhn
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »

and he was saying that the goal of this life is to "earn" paradise in the next.
You mean, the subtitles say he was. He was speaking Romanian. Could simply be a bad translation.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »

I heard a really good podcast on this on Ancient Faith Radio last night. I can't say who was talking, or what podcast it was, as I joined it a bit late, but it was on the live feed at about 9:30pm ET last night. It was a baptist convert priest talking about the harmony between faith and works, and the distinctions in the EO understanding of these ideas.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »

This would be it:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/statutes/not_by_faith_alone

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »

The 'working out' of our salvation, is the journey towards wholeness, towards God, and the gift of God, which is free, lest any man should boast, is the hope of resurrection on judgement day.

~ Dyhn

Yes. It is the "running of the race" that if left unfinished offers no crown, and the talents that when left buried in the ground earn condemnation but kingship when properly invested.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »

~ Dyhn

no gift is ever free
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »

no gift is ever free
The gift is free. It's the strings that are attached that cost a bundle  Cheesy. To accept God's gift, the "string" is that you become the slave of Christ! (Hot tip of the day: it's a good deal - go for it!)
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »

God's gift of eternal life is free to all who choose to ascend to it.  We must show our acceptance of God by following His commands. This is not earning our way, but rather cooperating and being in synergy with God. 

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »

7-11 (a convenience store in America) gave out free drinks yesterday (on 7-11-2011). But you still had to do some work and get out of bed, in order to get it. Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »

if its free then i don't want it
if its free then its worth nothing to me

so it didn't cost Jesus nothing then??

its not free then is it if it cost him his life
Philoumenos
Wishes Jews Would Come to Christ

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »

if its free then i don't want it
if its free then its worth nothing to me

so it didn't cost Jesus nothing then??

its not free then is it if it cost him his life

Jesus is alive Poppy.

“If my sons did not want war, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnapper, wife of Mayer Amschel Rothschild

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:57 AM »

~ Dyhn

no gift is ever free
Not earned or merited by ourselves ;~p

~ Dyhn
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: