OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question for OOs; Have you Communed in "Sister [OO] Churches"  (Read 568 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »

Firstly, I'd like to say that I put the term "Sister Churches" in quotes becasue as a Copt I do not believe Ethiopians, Armenians, Syrians, etc are members of a Sister Church. I believe them to belong to the Church, that is, the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Orthodox Church. One thing I think the OO Churches should work on is focus less on our ethnicity and draw closer together as brothers and sisters in the Orthodox faith. A lot of times I feel as if the OO Churches have nothing to do with each other  Sad . So I was just wondering if any of my fellow OOs have communed in any other "sister" OO Churches? Truth be told, I haven't communed in any other OO Churches besides the Coptic Church, once I communed in an Antiochian EO Church (out of ignorance), but no OO Churches. Thankfully, my Priest told that there will be an OO con-celebration coming up*.

*Please do not ask me where the con-celebration is, I do not want to narrow down the area where I live, whether on the public forum or in a private PM, I enjoy my anonymity.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:33:21 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:53:46 AM »

I have not.  Our Armenian parish has had an occasional family or two from other OO traditions in the absence of their own parishes, and I understand this is relatively common.

As for concelebration, that's tricky.  It happens, but it's not the most convenient thing for all involved.  Remember, each OO Church has its own rite, differing language traditions, etc. etc.  For an Eastern Orthodox clergyman, say a Russian priest, going and serving in a Romanian or an Albanian parish, or a Greek priest in an Antiochian or Russian parish, there's not much difference there.  Linguistically, there may be some problems, but at the end of the day, it's all extremely similar. 

It's not like that for us in the OO world.  And our relations have suffered as a result.  At the same time, I think it's extremely valuable that all of our respective churches have retained our own traditions and differences, yet have also retained our unity.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:00:19 AM »

I know the issues with the different OO rites has always been complex. I like the diversity in the OO traditions, but, I dislike the division among fellow OO, I truly think it has a lot more to do with nationalism than anything else.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:00:57 AM »

I've communed a few times in Coptic churches.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:02:06 AM »

I know the issues with the different OO rites has always been complex. I like the diversity in the OO traditions, but, I dislike the division among fellow OO, I truly think it has a lot more to do with nationalism than anything else.

I agree we need to do a lot more together.  I think there is a lot we can learn from each other.  We are too isolated.

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:40:44 AM »

I've communed in Armenian, Coptic, Eritrean, Indian and Syrian Orthodox liturgies.

Con-celebrated liturgies are not so complicated. In the UK we follow the rite of the host community, and clergy participate, usually in English, in the same rite.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

Con-celebrated liturgies are not so complicated. In the UK we follow the rite of the host community, and clergy participate, usually in English, in the same rite.

This is what done in the US as well. A con-celebrated Liturgy is performed anually in the NY/NJ area and at a different Church. When it was done in a Coptic Church it followed the Coptic Rite and during Holy Communion each Church would alternate their hymns.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »

So I was just wondering if any of my fellow OOs have communed in any other "sister" OO Churches?
I have communed twice in a Coptic Orthodox Church. I belong to the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church, in full communion with the Patriarch of Antioch. One of the times I was very early to Church, and the Coptic priest even asked me to read one of the Epistle readings during the Liturgy. He even said most of the liturgy in English that day so that I could follow along. I was told that usually the liturgy is in Arabic / Coptic.  I never for a minute felt as a stranger in the Church.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:26:47 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

Some 8 years ago I lived with Copts for a year and a half and attended their services every day, both night and day, and communed a lot. Many things were strange and unusual but only for the first days. So it was a nice experience in my life. Once, while being still among them, a Syriac priest came to us and celebrated a Syriac liturgy. And I also communed at that liturgy. But I've never seen an Ethiopian service.

My opinion is that this is really very good that we have so different rites and customs. This is not a minus, but plus. If there is love, the differences are loved too. We can even learn from each other. I learned a lot while being in the Coptic Church and that new knowledge helped me understand my own Church better.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: