OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:35:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardinal sees 'no theological obstacle' to women priests  (Read 2910 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »

Met. Kallistos says the same, that the Fathers were silent about women's ordinations (or why men only were ordained).  But that doesn't mean we're ordaining women anytime soon.  We just have to be honest about that fact that there was no solid teaching against it.  At this point we don't have the power to change tradition anyway.

I don't get the impression that Metropolitan Kallistos is in favor of ordaining women, just that he's in favor of coming up with better arguments against it.

According to the interview I listened to (its on Illumined Heart on ACF, by the way), he said the question whether the Orthodox should ordain women or not has not come up yet, so it is a non-issue at this point.  But he has not found any Patristic source that favors or condemns women ordination.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »

GONZALEZ: O’Malley is a member of a group called Roman Catholic Women Priests. It was started in 2002 when seven women, in an act of defiance against the Vatican, were ordained as priests by a male bishop in Europe.
So, to RC's, they would be considered validly ordained priests, administering illicit but valid sacraments?
If I remember my RC jargon correctly, they would be invalid (thus not priestesses) because they are "improper matter." Or something to that effect.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

Met. Kallistos says the same, that the Fathers were silent about women's ordinations (or why men only were ordained).  But that doesn't mean we're ordaining women anytime soon.  We just have to be honest about that fact that there was no solid teaching against it.  At this point we don't have the power to change tradition anyway.

I don't get the impression that Metropolitan Kallistos is in favor of ordaining women, just that he's in favor of coming up with better arguments against it.

According to the interview I listened to (its on Illumined Heart on ACF, by the way), he said the question whether the Orthodox should ordain women or not has not come up yet, so it is a non-issue at this point.  But he has not found any Patristic source that favors or condemns women ordination.

That'd be interesting, as I remember a thread about 8 years ago in which we discussed a book about the issue, in which he and other Orthodox theologians had in fact raised the question. I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT--Found it, that didn't take long...

EDIT2--Reading back over that first quote, I may have misspoke earlier in this thread about what his position is...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:17:39 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »

It wouldn't help matters and would only make those skeptical of any chance of union even more skeptical. What does this do but cater to the modern tastes of western culture where everyone is totally and absolutely equal regaurdless of any other factor which says otherwise?

Thank you.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 11:52:55 PM »

According to the interview I listened to (its on Illumined Heart on ACF, by the way), he said the question whether the Orthodox should ordain women or not has not come up yet, so it is a non-issue at this point.  But he has not found any Patristic source that favors or condemns women ordination.

Like with all innovations and heresies thats probably because it wasn't even considered or done.

Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: