OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:58:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardinal sees 'no theological obstacle' to women priests  (Read 2702 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: July 08, 2011, 07:49:44 AM »

Would a Roman Catholic decision to ordain women, help or hinder the dialogue for re-union with the Orthodox?

Cardinal José da Cruz Policarpo of Lisbon, Portugal, a veteran European prelate at one point considered a contender for the papacy, reportedly has said there’s “no fundamental theological obstacle” to the ordination of women as priests in the Catholic church.

According to the text of an interview with a legal publication in Portugal called Oa, Policarpo said that women’s ordination will happen only “when God wants it,” although not in our lifetimes, and that now is not the time to raise the question.

“Theologically there is no fundamental obstacle,” Policarpo was quoted as saying. “We could say there’s a tradition, because it’s never been done.”

“There’s a fundamental equality among all the members of the church,” the cardinal said. “The problem lies in a strong tradition, which comes from Jesus and from the fact that the churches of the Reformation conceded the priesthood to women.”
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:50:19 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:09:33 AM »

Given what it did to the dialogue with the Anglicans? I think the answer is clear.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »

Well, the RC Church has had no problem changing millenia-old traditions before :/
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »

Given what it did to the dialogue with the Anglicans? I think the answer is clear.
But what if the Catholics have a much better argument than the Anglicans?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »

But what if the Catholics have a much better argument than the Anglicans?

Not going to happen. 

I did not understand the Portuguese Cardinal's interview when I first read it.  I gave it a much more favorable spin than perhaps it deserved.

But at the very least, I think it opens up a discussion of what constitutes a "theological" argument.

That is the more interesting part of that interview, as far as I am concerned.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »

The Cardinal has since "clarified" his thinking about this. He says in the clarification that the Holy Father is right that the priesthood is definitively reserved to men alone. Your Eminence, that's true not only because the Pope says it is. The Pope, in fact, is just confirming the Tradition.

Happy retirement.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:41:36 AM by lubeltri » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

The Cardinal has since "clarified" his thinking about this. He says in the clarification that the Holy Father is right that the priesthood is definitively reserved to men alone. Your Eminence, that's true not only because the Pope says it is. The Pope, in fact, is just confirming the Tradition.

Happy retirement.

I am still interested in the understanding of theology that was raised by that interview. 

Initially I was willing to give the Cardinal the benefit of the doubt because he seemed to simply be outlining the most recent history of the discussion from the commission through John Paul II's response.

But it is that statement "no theological reason"...that is of interest to me.

I tend to agree with the original commission established to study the issue...that the male priesthood is not an issue of theology...as much as it is an issue of anthropology...telling us more about ourselves than it does about God.  HOWEVER that does not make it any less a permanent part of Tradition, and not to be meddled with or changed.  Why?...because it is in the long tradition of revelation, old and new law.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »

Well, if Rome were to permit women priests, there is a yes/no answer to your question.  No, union would not be helped, it would be quite possible the biggest obstacle to Rome becoming an Orthodox Patriarchate.  Yes, it would help re-union, because large numbers of Catholics would flee from the Papacy and join the Orthodox Church.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

Happy retirement.

I am still interested in the understanding of theology that was raised by that interview. 

Initially I was willing to give the Cardinal the benefit of the doubt because he seemed to simply be outlining the most recent history of the discussion from the commission through John Paul II's response.

But it is that statement "no theological reason"...that is of interest to me.

I tend to agree with the original commission established to study the issue...that the male priesthood is not an issue of theology...as much as it is an issue of anthropology...telling us more about ourselves than it does about God.  HOWEVER that does not make it any less a permanent part of Tradition, and not to be meddled with or changed.  Why?...because it is in the long tradition of revelation, old and new law.
Actually, it has a great deal to do with theology. I highly suggest listening to this lecture by Dr. Peter Kreeft: http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »

Well, if Rome were to permit women priests, there is a yes/no answer to your question.  No, union would not be helped, it would be quite possible the biggest obstacle to Rome becoming an Orthodox Patriarchate.  Yes, it would help re-union, because large numbers of Catholics would flee from the Papacy and join the Orthodox Church.
One of the reasons that it will never happen.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »

A friend of mine recently confessed to me that his mother's friend, who is female, became ordained as a priest in the Vatican, however I believe they are a breakaway sect.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 06:42:55 AM »

A friend of mine recently confessed to me that his mother's friend, who is female, became ordained as a priest in the Vatican, however I believe they are a breakaway sect.
Good Lord save us!

This is almost certainly untrue. The Vatican is so small.

Most likely it was in Rome and was wholly illicit and should not have happened.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »

Perhaps connected to womenpriests.org?

"We love our family, the Catholic Church. We fully accept the authority of the Pope. We respect his personal integrity as an outstanding spiritual leader. But we are convinced that the Pope and his advisors are making a serious mistake by dismissing women as priests. We feel obliged in conscience to make our carefully considered reasons known, In doing so, we fulfil our canon law duty to speak out as our present Pope has encouraged us to do. And we do this with deep loyalty to the Church."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:42:50 AM »

it would be quite possible the biggest obstacle to Rome becoming an Orthodox Patriarchate.

Oh for God's sake!  Roll Eyes

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 06:00:45 AM »

it would be quite possible the biggest obstacle to Rome becoming an Orthodox Patriarchate.

I recall that at the time of the ordination of women in the Anglican communion,
the Orthodox issued strong statements and announced that future bilateral
consultations would have only a theological nature and would not be aimed at the
pursuit of unity. To emphasise this point, the Orthodox decided that from then
on only theologians and not bishops would participate in bilateral seminars,
etc. Whether the Orthodox held to this position, I confess I do not know.
Anybody?

At this time we also saw the publication of a letter by Fr Alexander Schmemann
"Concerning Women's Ordination -a letter to an episcopal friend"
http://www.episcopalnet.org/TRACTS/Concerning Ordination.html
tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/27fz6

This contained some strong statements, especially for a Parisian school-SVS man,
for example, "the ordination of women to priesthood is tantamount for us to a
radical and irreparable mutilation of the entire faith, the rejection of the
whole Scripture, and, needless to say, the end of all "dialogues" .

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 06:08:56 AM »

consultations would have only a theological nature and would not be aimed at the
Anybody?

This contained some strong statements, especially for a Parisian school-SVS man,

I don't understand or sympathize at all. I could list at least a handful of innovations of Rome that appear to damage the faith far more than the ordination of women. This just appears like the uncritical reactionism that is all too common among the Orthodox and social development.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 04:02:26 AM »

Anybody?

That is rather strong. I noticed that Anglicans are quoting Romans 16, 1 in support of having women ordained to serve in the Church:
"And I commend to you Phebe, our sister, who is in the ministry of the church, that is in Cenchrae"
Some translate this as deaconess in the Church. Generally, how would the Orthodox Church look upon this passage. Does it sanction the practice of ordaining women as deacons in the Church?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 05:12:20 AM »

Would a Roman Catholic decision to ordain women, help or hinder the dialogue for re-union with the Orthodox?

Cardinal José da Cruz Policarpo of Lisbon, Portugal, a veteran European prelate at one point considered a contender for the papacy, reportedly has said there’s “no fundamental theological obstacle” to the ordination of women as priests in the Catholic church.

According to the text of an interview with a legal publication in Portugal called Oa, Policarpo said that women’s ordination will happen only “when God wants it,” although not in our lifetimes, and that now is not the time to raise the question.

“Theologically there is no fundamental obstacle,” Policarpo was quoted as saying. “We could say there’s a tradition, because it’s never been done.”

“There’s a fundamental equality among all the members of the church,” the cardinal said. “The problem lies in a strong tradition, which comes from Jesus and from the fact that the churches of the Reformation conceded the priesthood to women.”

Didn't Metropolitan Kallistos said something similar?

Does it sanction the practice of ordaining women as deacons in the Church?

Yes, and we do it (maybe as not often as we used to do).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »

Excuse me, but the ancient office of deaconess was a VERY different kettle of fish to that of male deacon. The two offices are not equivalent.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »

Something seems to be amiss here: On the one hand women are to keep silent in the Church, and yet on the other hand, they can be ordained as deaconesses?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »

Something seems to be amiss here: On the one hand women are to keep silent in the Church, and yet on the other hand, they can be ordained as deaconesses?

I can't comment on the role or state of any contemporary deaconesses, but as I understand it the main role of a deaconess in the ancient Church was to assist women converts during baptism, which of course, was by full immersion, just as it is in many Orthodox and Catholic churches today.

But that really has nothing at all to do with the priesthood or the topic of this thread.  (My, how easily we digress  Smiley!)

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

On the one hand women are to keep silent in the Church
Historically, they haven't. And since there aren't any montanist oracles rolling around and babbling sulfur-fueled prophecies in Orthodoxy (although in Protestantism, I can't say the same) I think they should say a bit more.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »

I can't comment on the role or state of any contemporary deaconesses, but as I understand it the main role of a deaconess in the ancient Church was to assist women converts during baptism, which of course, was by full immersion, just as it is in many Orthodox and Catholic churches today.

But that really has nothing at all to do with the priesthood or the topic of this thread.  (My, how easily we digress  Smiley!)
Anglicans see Romans 16, 1 as sanctioning the ordination of women as priests. So I don't think mention of Romans 16, 1 is a digression.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »

Anglicans see Romans 16, 1 as sanctioning the ordination of women as priests. So I don't think mention of Romans 16, 1 is a digression.

Agreed--if we're talking about priests/priestesses and not deacons/deaconesses.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

From the NYTimes: "Jesus' Priests".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:06:33 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »

You'd think the NYT hadn't sunk so far as to do a photo essay in an Olan Mills studio.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:55:33 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »

After reading through it- Wow! Apparently being a "Roman Catholic" WomanPriest/Bishop means you also get to ignore the celibacy rules- over half were married.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

Ordain a Lady (warning: this is not a spoof).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »

After reading through it- Wow! Apparently being a "Roman Catholic" WomanPriest/Bishop means you also get to ignore the celibacy rules- over half were married.

I hate to disappoint them, but there is, so far, no such thing as a female Roman Catholic priest or bishop.  If there comes a point in my lifetime when there is, I'll have to consider my options very seriously.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:17:32 AM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »

You'd think the NYT hadn't sunk so far as to do a photo essay in an Olan Mills studio.

The NYT, called by some "The New York Slimes", has sunk even further than that "photo essay" would lead one to believe.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »

Next it will be on History International...H2, another wasteland.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »

GONZALEZ: In a faith that prohibits females from becoming priests, these women are rebels, gathering here this afternoon to ordain this woman, Jennifer O’Malley, as a Catholic priest.

(to Jennifer O’Malley): Do you love the Catholic Church?

JENNIFER O’MALLEY: I do. It’s who I am, so I can’t leave. You know, I’ve gone to other churches and they’re beautiful, but I’m Catholic, and I can’t separate myself from that.
GONZALEZ: And your response to those who think at worst this is heresy, out and out, and at best some sort of a stunt, really. What do you say to them?

O’MALLEY: You know, it’s a call from God, and I believe it to be a true call, so those other things have to be put aside. And if that means breaking a law within the church, I know within myself, within my intellect and emotionally, that it is the right thing to do.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »

Women priests? Soooo.......what's next, male nuns?  Roll Eyes

Modernists and liberals like this cardinal are the very reason the Roman Church is imploding in the West.

The day they legitmately ordain women will be the beginning of the end.

Bring on the Chasitisement.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »

Someone didn't pay attention in English class I see.

Or is that more Yankish?   Grin

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »

Yankish?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:52:01 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »

Yankish?

It's even a language.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:56:22 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »

Ah, good one.

Thanks for keeping me honest.  Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »

Yankish?

It's even a language.

I hope you don't take that page seriously.

I'm going to need this.
choy
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 08:35:38 PM »

Met. Kallistos says the same, that the Fathers were silent about women's ordinations (or why men only were ordained).  But that doesn't mean we're ordaining women anytime soon.  We just have to be honest about that fact that there was no solid teaching against it.  At this point we don't have the power to change tradition anyway.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »

Met. Kallistos says the same, that the Fathers were silent about women's ordinations (or why men only were ordained).  But that doesn't mean we're ordaining women anytime soon.  We just have to be honest about that fact that there was no solid teaching against it.  At this point we don't have the power to change tradition anyway.

I don't get the impression that Metropolitan Kallistos is in favor of ordaining women, just that he's in favor of coming up with better arguments against it.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »

How shocking!

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »

O’MALLEY: You know, it’s a call from God, and I believe it to be a true call, so those other things have to be put aside. And if that means breaking a law within the church, I know within myself, within my intellect and emotionally, that it is the right thing to do.
" I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience." - Martin Luther

It's interesting to note that modern RC "reformers" often use similar rhetoric and appeals to conscience.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »

GONZALEZ: O’Malley is a member of a group called Roman Catholic Women Priests. It was started in 2002 when seven women, in an act of defiance against the Vatican, were ordained as priests by a male bishop in Europe.
So, to RC's, they would be considered validly ordained priests, administering illicit but valid sacraments?
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »

Ordain a Lady (warning: this is not a spoof).

Very catchy tune...

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »

I don't get the impression that Metropolitan Kallistos is in favor of ordaining women, just that he's in favor of coming up with better arguments against it.

I agree with this, I'd just add that I think part of it is, going beyond formulating more arguments, Met. Kallistos also that he wants us to engage the world. The early Christians didn't just say "Greek myths are stupid," but they took the time to explain why certain things were wrong, why we believed as we did, etc. I think he wants us to do the same thing in this case, even though many in the world will not in general accept the answers. That way when they reject traditional Christianity it won't be because they didn't have a full picture, but rather because they understood the full picture and rejected it. I think it was Archbp. Fulton Sheen who said, to paraphrase from memory, that many people rejected what they thought was Catholicism, but few actually reject Catholicism as it truly is. I think this is something along the same lines: if they're going to reject Orthodoxy, let's make sure it's not because we didn't explain ourselves clearly, or weren't willing to take the time to engage them.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: