OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:46:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communion from a Priest Outside Your Own Church  (Read 6902 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »

How would you know he is a heretic?
I am not sure. Anyway, I saw a posted sign at an Orthodox Church indicating that they had adult catechism classes on Thursday nights at 7:30. I indicated to the Orthodox priest there that I was interested in attending and learning more about the Orthodox Church. He said that I was a heretic and that he did not allow heretics to attend his classes, but only those who had been baptised and chrismated in the Orthodox church. So I guess he had some criteria to determine who was and who was not a heretic.

Wow...that souns a bit absurd...
Yes, that does sound absurd. I think of a catechism class as something intended specifically for those who have NOT yet been baptized and chrismated.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »

Can we please get back on topic?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »

How has this discussion veered off topic? The discussion of heresy and the heresies one sees in communions outside one's own is important to the topic of whether one would receive Communion from a priest outside one's own church.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »

^Okay, good point, I guess you're right. When I said "get back on topic" I eant discussing whether you would commune in these other Churches if you were isolated from a parish of your own faith tradition.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:22:37 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »

I am not sure. Anyway, I saw a posted sign at an Orthodox Church indicating that they had adult catechism classes on Thursday nights at 7:30. I indicated to the Orthodox priest there that I was interested in attending and learning more about the Orthodox Church. He said that I was a heretic and that he did not allow heretics to attend his classes, but only those who had been baptised and chrismated in the Orthodox church. So I guess he had some criteria to determine who was and who was not a heretic.

Wow...that souns a bit absurd...
Yes, that does sound absurd. I think of a catechism class as something intended specifically for those who have NOT yet been baptized and chrismated.

Exactly, I hope he misheard the priest...

Forgive my sins.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »

Angry

Please tell me that this priest was from a group that has a name like: True-Blue Super-Orthodox Dogmatically and Canonically Perfecto Supremo Uber-Right Believing Greek Hellenic Ancient Greek Orthodox Catholic Greek Orthopraxical Church...?
Antioch Orthodox Church. BTW, the Orthodox priest was a convert from the Baptist group. He was not Orthodox from childhood, but Baptist.  When he saw me flinch at his comment, he tried to soften his statement by saying that even his father, who was a Baptist minister, was a heretic. Anyway, no, he would not allow me to attend his class. My guess is that he did not like Roman Catholics, or he did not like my discussion in which I was talking about Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine. BTW, he said that St. Augustine was not a Saint, but was Blessed.   I was slightly acquainted  with a girl who was  a student at the local college, and she was an Anglican. In a casual conversation with her,  she told me that she was attending his evening class on thursdays. He did belong to a canonical Orthodox Church, the Antiochan Orthodox Church, which I believe had accepted a certain number of people from the Baptist group in the past. 
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »

OK. I apologise, but the question came up as to who was and who was not a heretic.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

OK. I apologise, but the question came up as to who was and who was not a heretic.
^No problem, nevermind.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

Angry

Please tell me that this priest was from a group that has a name like: True-Blue Super-Orthodox Dogmatically and Canonically Perfecto Supremo Uber-Right Believing Greek Hellenic Ancient Greek Orthodox Catholic Greek Orthopraxical Church...?
Antioch Orthodox Church. BTW, the Orthodox priest was a convert from the Baptist group. He was not Orthodox from childhood, but Baptist.  When he saw me flinch at his comment, he tried to soften his statement by saying that even his father, who was a Baptist minister, was a heretic. Anyway, no, he would not allow me to attend his class. My guess is that he did not like Roman Catholics, or he did not like my discussion in which I was talking about Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine. BTW, he said that St. Augustine was not a Saint, but was Blessed.   I was slightly acquainted  with a girl who was  a student at the local college, and she was an Anglican. In a casual conversation with her,  she told me that she was attending his evening class on thursdays. He did belong to a canonical Orthodox Church, the Antiochan Orthodox Church, which I believe had accepted a certain number of people from the Baptist group in the past. 
Shows you how much he knows if he says St. Augustine is not a saint. Roll Eyes
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2011, 01:35:35 AM »

St Augustine of Hippo is listed on every Orthodox calendar I have encountered (Greek, Russian, Serbian, and others). His feastday is June 15. Orthodox saints are not required to be infallible, only holy and God-pleasing.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »

Angry

Shows you how much he knows if he says St. Augustine is not a saint. Roll Eyes

I've heard of that, Orthodox calling him "Blessed Augustine" but not "St. Augustine".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

I've heard of that, Orthodox calling him "Blessed Augustine" but not "St. Augustine".

"Blessed" is a type of "Saint" like "Martyr", "Confessor", "Apostle" etc.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »

He is called Ό Αγίος Αυγουστίνος - "Saint Augustine"

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »

Okay, now that we've gone down this rat hole of whether St. Augustine is a saint or not, a subject we have discussed on other threads, could we get back on the topic of the OP?
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »

I would commune in an Oriental Church.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »

But not in an RC parish, I assume?

As I have said, I wouldn't feel comfortable communing in any Church besides the EOC or the OOC.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:58:46 PM by Severian » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:45 PM »

But not in an RC parish, I assume?

As I have said, I wouldn't feel comfortable communing in any Church besides the EOC or the OOC.
Not even in a Melchite Catholic Church in an emergency situation?
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »

Please define "emergency situation".

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »

You are at the point of death. The doctor has given you one hour to live and there is no E. Orthodox priest or OO priest within one thousand miles. You are in a hospital bed and the Melchite Catholic priest is next door.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2011, 12:09:48 AM »

You are at the point of death. The doctor has given you one hour to live and there is no E. Orthodox priest or OO priest within one thousand miles. You are in a hospital bed and the Melchite Catholic priest is next door.
I must say, that is an excellent question... Let me think about it/sleep on it and I'll tell you later.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:20:07 AM by Severian » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2011, 06:01:59 AM »

I would say this, I would only commune from the Melkite Priest if my Orthodox Priest/Spiritual Father gave me permission to do so. In which case, if I have sinned against God by communing from the Melkite, the responsibility would be on my Priest's shoulders and not on mine. A part of me does want to say that the RC eucharist is 'valid', but I, as of yet, cannot say for sure if it is.

God bless.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:03:05 AM by Severian » Logged

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2011, 07:03:42 AM »

I would die knowing I did the right thing.

Forgive my sins.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2011, 07:29:06 AM »

I would not commune at any rite in communion with the Vatican (no offense). Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:29:28 AM by zekarja » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »

I would say this, I would only commune from the Melkite Priest if my Orthodox Priest/Spiritual Father gave me permission to do so. In which case, if I have sinned against God by communing from the Melkite, the responsibility would be on my Priest's shoulders and not on mine. A part of me does want to say that the RC eucharist is 'valid', but I, as of yet, cannot say for sure if it is.

God bless.
So, because you exercise your free will by doing something your priest has permitted--note that I don't say instructed--you to do, you are no longer responsible for your action? Unless he instructs you to do something, the decision to do something is still yours, and you would not be disobeying your priest to refuse. Therefore, the responsibility would still be on your shoulders, would it not?
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »

So, because you exercise your free will by doing something your priest has permitted--note that I don't say instructed--you to do, you are no longer responsible for your action? Unless he instructs you to do something, the decision to do something is still yours, and you would not be disobeying your priest to refuse. Therefore, the responsibility would still be on your shoulders, would it not?

AGREED!

Forgive my sins.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »

I'm sorry let me clarify, if he insisted I would commune, in fact, that was the meaning I was trying to convey in my previous post.

Tags: communion intercommunion 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: