OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 04:51:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communion from a Priest Outside Your Own Church  (Read 6833 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »

I was just wondering if you would receive communion from Priests of the following Churches if you couldn't commune from a Priest of your own tradition:

1. Assyrian Church of the East
2. Eastern Orthodox Church
3. Oriental Orthodox Church
4. Roman Catholic Church
5. Anglican

For me, if I couldn't commune in an OO Church...

1. Assyrian Church: No, I'm sorry I just cannot receive the sacraments from a Church which venerates Nestorius. (No offense intended)

2. Eastern Orthodox: Yes, we share the same faith even if we aren't in canonical communion.

3. Roman Catholic: Meh... I'd be quite hesitant, quite a bit separates Orthodoxy from Catholicism. If my Bishop granted me dispensation, maybe.

4. Anglican (even if they believe in the real presence): No. (No offense intended)

What about you? Would you commune in the aforementioned Churches if you couldn't commune in your own Church?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:19:41 AM »

If I couldn't commune with my church, I would simply find another Eastern Orthodox church in the area.  There are about 4 total in my area, so that shouldn't be a problem.  As to my understanding, we are not allowed to commune with any of those that you mentioned -- not even the Oriental Orthodox.  However, I have heard of my own Bishop.. His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas, allowing OO's to commune in my Greek Orthodox church -- when my priest asked about it; since there were Ethiopians that came to the liturgy regularly enough.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:34:31 AM »

If I couldn't commune with my church, I would simply find another Eastern Orthodox church in the area.  There are about 4 total in my area, so that shouldn't be a problem.  As to my understanding, we are not allowed to commune with any of those that you mentioned -- not even the Oriental Orthodox.  However, I have heard of my own Bishop.. His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas, allowing OO's to commune in my Greek Orthodox church -- when my priest asked about it; since there were Ethiopians that came to the liturgy regularly enough.
Thanks for responding, but, what I mean to say is that if you couldn't attend any EO Church would you try to get dispensation and commune in these other Churches? If I were in an area with no OO Churches I would commune in other Churches in accordance with what I wrote above. Meaning I would try to get permission to commune in an EO Church, but, I would never commune in an Assyrian-Nestorian Church.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:39:24 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:47:02 AM »

...if you couldn't attend any EO Church would you try to get dispensation and commune in these other Churches?

No. I would only partake in sacraments from those who are in communion with my jurisdiction. On the other hand, if I couldn't attend a church that I could commune in, I think I may be persuaded to attend another church.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:56:27 AM »

...if you couldn't attend any EO Church would you try to get dispensation and commune in these other Churches?

No. I would only partake in sacraments from those who are in communion with my jurisdiction. On the other hand, if I couldn't attend a church that I could commune in, I think I may be persuaded to attend another church.
So let's say this, if you were to move to, say, Egypt, where there are practically no EO Churches, would you ask your bishop permission to commune in an OO Church?

bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »

I would attend but I would not commune, even if the local bishop said it was okay. If they're not in the diptychs I'm not taking their sacrament. Nothing personal, it just doesn't feel right.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:11 AM »

I'd probably commune with the Oriental Orthodox if I had the permission of my bishop, other than that I wouldn't even try to get the bishops permission. As far as I'm concerned none of the others share the same faith we do.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:20:43 AM »

I'd probably commune with the Oriental Orthodox if I had the permission of my bishop, other than that I wouldn't even try to get the bishops permission. As far as I'm concerned none of the others share the same faith we do.
I think I have to agree regarding the EO. Catholics, Assyrians (Nestorians), Anglicans et al have a long way to return to the Orthodox faith, EOs and OOs seem to be patching things up. Though, for all practical purposes I don't see unity happening in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:24:59 AM by Severian » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »

What about you? Would you commune in the aforementioned Churches if you couldn't commune in your own Church?

The Oriental Orthodox Church is the only Church I would consider Communing in at this point (I'm not a member though). Any other church (EO, RC, East Syrian, Anglican, or any other) I'm skeptical of dogmatically and therefore would not seek membership in them even if I had no access to an OO church. More likely if I became more steadfast in pursuing membership in the OOC I would try my best to get a mission going in my area.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 01:35:46 AM »

No.  The Eastern Orthodox Christian Church prohibits my receipt of communion outside of the Faith.  It is not for me to disagree with the Church in that regard.  Orthodoxy considers Holy Communion the highest manifestation of the the Faith.  God will watch over me if I am unable to commune due to residency.  If I were to be so far away from an Eastern Orthodox Church, that it would be essentially impossible to attend an Orthodox Church, I would probably search for a Christian Church that to some extent would nourish my spirituality, but never would I compromise my faith by violating one of its primary rules, even if a bishop would grant "economy," I don't believe he really has such authority.  (I would not attend a non-Trinitarian church for any reason.)

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 01:38:33 AM »

I would feel comfortable with certain OO churches, especially the Coptic and Syriac churches, but I don't have any connection to Ethiopian spirituality at this point and it would just be too much of a barrier for me. Armenians are way more of an issue for me just because of how lackadaisical they seem to be in giving communion to the heterodox, as I've heard from a few on this forum that they will commune Anglicans.

Roman Catholic is tricky, but honestly I feel at home with traditional Roman Catholic liturgy as well as with the Byzantine rites of Eastern Catholicism, especially the Melkites.

Assyrian Church of the East is a definite no, but I would attend services more out of liturgical curiosity and for historical academic reasons, but I wouldn't pray with them in the services.

Anglican is a big no.

But all that I'm really indicating is my own personal level of comfort with their spirituality and a sense of connection and brotherhood I feel with them. I don't see this hypothetical really playing out, and honestly I think that I would simply abstain from communion and make occasional long trips to an EO church for communion. I might pray at some of their churches with the bishop's blessing, but even then I might just pray at home.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:55 AM »

So let's say this, if you were to move to, say, Egypt, where there are practically no EO Churches, would you ask your bishop permission to commune in an OO Church?

Definitely not. Then again, I would be extremely unlikely to move to an area without access to a priest of my communion. I just wouldn't do it.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 02:02:03 AM »

even if a bishop would grant "economy," I don't believe he really has such authority.

*thumbs up*

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 02:16:37 AM »

The Oriental Orthodox Church is the only Church I would consider Communing in at this point (I'm not a member though). Any other church (EO, RC, East Syrian, Anglican, or any other) I'm skeptical of dogmatically and therefore would not seek membership in them even if I had no access to an OO church. More likely if I became more steadfast in pursuing membership in the OOC I would try my best to get a mission going in my area.
Deusveritasest, a while ago I noticed how you changed your faith status from "Oriental Orthodoxy (inquirer)" to "not sure". If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason you changed your status?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:17:10 AM by Severian » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 02:27:35 AM »

Deusveritasest, a while ago I noticed how you changed your faith status from "Oriental Orthodoxy (inquirer)" to "not sure". If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason you changed your status?

Wow, Severian, you've been lurking a while, haha.

In order to contribute to the topic: I believe the example of hermits such as St Mary of Egypt demonstrates that it is more important to receive the holy mysteries infrequently in the correct spirit than to receive them often (assuming they are out of ordinary reach).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:49 AM »

Wow, Severian, you've been lurking a while, haha.

In order to contribute to the topic: I believe the example of hermits such as St Mary of Egypt demonstrates that it is more important to receive the holy mysteries infrequently in the correct spirit than to receive them often (assuming they are out of ordinary reach).
Great point actually.

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 04:35:15 AM »

There are plenty of EO and OO laity who commune in vice-versa Churches because of a lack of presence of their own communities, or for other reasons.

I see no problem with this at all.

I do not believe that the EO are dogmatically non-Orthodox, and unless a particular EO shows signs of Nestorianism I have found all of the EO who I regularly see at my own Church to be as diverse in knowledge and spiritual development as those who are formally OO.

The reception of an EO into formal membership of the Coptic Church does not properly require the administration of any sacrament at all. All that is required is a confession of Faith. Therefore the OO have never considered the EO not to be the Church, even if defective in some aspects. The relationship has been much more like a 'walling off' from error, than an absolute separation from those who are not the Church in any sense.

Therefore, although it is not possible for clergy to con-celebrate in usual circumstances, it is entirely reasonable for laity, generally with permission, to commune in each other's Churches, and I know that it happens a lot and I am glad. There are also many immigrants who are entirely isolated from their own Churches, and for various reasons have not found them spiritually fruitful. They are notionally from X Orthodox or Y Orthodox Church, but if they find meaning and value such that their notional Orthodox Faith becomes a real Orthodox Faith when they worship with OO then I think that is a good thing, and a fulfillment of their Orthodoxy, not a negation of it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:36:33 AM by peterfarrington » Logged

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 05:09:32 AM »

If my bishop granted a dispensation I might commune in an OO church. Others churches I wouldn't even attend for other reasons than liturgical curiosity.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »

Hmmmm. I've had enough people ask about that now that perhaps I should start a thread in the Converts forum explaining.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »

I'm not communing in any Church at the moment, but if I lived in an area with any Oriental Churches around I'd alternate between attendance there and at an Eastern parish until I decided which communion to join. But there's only an Eastern parish in my area so I simply attend that.

I stopped receiving communion in the Roman Catholic Church a while ago and I'd never be willing to do it again. I probably would never do so with Anglicans or Nestorians either.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

Oriental Orthodox with caution if they would have me.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

I was just wondering if you would receive communion from Priests of the following Churches if you couldn't commune from a Priest of your own tradition:

4. Roman Catholic Church
5. Anglican

I guess this is directed mainly toward Orthodox (Oriental and Eastern), but here are 3 comments from a Catholic:

(i) I think you should add “6. PNCC (Polish National Catholic Church)” to the list.

(ii) I like the way you asked the question: “I was just wondering if you would receive communion from Priests of the following Churches if you couldn't commune from a Priest of your own tradition.” (emphasis added). For Catholics, Canon 844 (c.671 in the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches) tells us “Whenever necessity requires or genuine spiritual advantage suggests, and provided that the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided, it is lawful for the faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister, to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose churches these sacraments are valid.”

(iii) To your question, I'd say that I wouldn't receive from an Anglican minister. I also wouldn't receive from an EO or OO priest, but for a different reason: even if I found one who would allow me to (which is very likely) I wouldn't want to be involved in him going against his church.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »

I also wouldn't receive from an EO or OO priest, but for a different reason: even if I found one who would allow me to (which is very likely)
I don't know too many EO or OO Priests who could commune you. I know sometimes that the EO Antiochian Church communes Catholics, other EO do not. As for the OO Churches, here's there status about communing non-OO (well, from what I've heard):

1. Coptic Orthodox: Catholics*- almost/if not never, Byzantine Orthodox- sometimes, but it’s not common practice
2. Ethiopian Orthodox: Catholics- (from what I can tell) almost/if not never, Byzantine Orthodox- probably sometimes
3. Eritrean Orthodox: Same as Ethiopian Orthodox (most likely)
4. Armenian Apostolic Orthodox: Catholics- up to the discretion of the clergy, Byzantine Orthodox- usually, yes
5. Malankara Orthodox Syrian/ “Indian Orthodox”: Catholics- sometimes, but it is by no means a rule, Byzantine Orthodox- for the most part, yes
6. Syriac/Syrian Orthodox Church: (Unfortunately) regularly communes Catholics, she also communes Byzantine Orthodox (which I really don't mind)

*It is extremely rare, however, Egypt’s Coptic Orthodox Church sometimes communes Catholics, especially in more run-down areas of Egypt where persecution from Muslims is common and there is no Catholic Church around for Catholics to worship and take communion in

As I said, if there were no OO Church I would try to commune in an EO Church. An OO friend of mine grew up in Greece and because there were no OO Churches back then, he communed in the Greek Orthodox Church. Catholics, Assyrians, etc no I would not commune from them, they are just too different from Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:35:11 PM by Severian » Logged

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »

No.
Yes.
No.
4. Roman Catholic Church
No.
5. Anglican
No.

If the issues are big enough to divide our bishops, they're too big for a proletarian like me -- who has to rely on what the bishops say is the apolostic faith anyway -- to try to bridge.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »

Meh... I'd be quite hesitant, quite a bit separates Orthodoxy from Catholicism. If my Bishop granted me dispensation, maybe.
Scratch that, I would not commune in a Roman Catholic Church even if I were granted economy by my bishop.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:29:41 PM by Severian » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »

Only legitimate, canonical, Eastern Orthodox for me.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »

I thought that this question was more interesting than the one about communion as it is one that is more likely to be confronted in one's life. (I am just here for this, nothing else....)

Would you refuse, or refuse on behalf of an extremely ill or injured member of your family who could not consent, the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick or Healing and  accompanying prayers offered by a Roman Catholic, Eastern Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox or Polish National Catholic priest when no priest of your own denomination or faith were available?

I would not so refuse. (Communion is another story....)
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »

I thought that this question was more interesting than the one about communion as it is one that is more likely to be confronted in one's life. (I am just here for this, nothing else....)

Would you refuse, or refuse on behalf of an extremely ill or injured member of your family who could not consent, the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick or Healing and  accompanying prayers offered by a Roman Catholic, Eastern Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox or Polish National Catholic priest when no priest of your own denomination or faith were available?

Nevertheless, my answers would remain the same. If I were dying and couldn't receive anointment from an OO Priest I would receive anointment of the sick from an EO Priest, but never an RC, ACOE, or Anglican Priest.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:31:21 PM by Severian » Logged

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »

Caution:  The following are only my personal thoughts.  I guess for me the question would be, What is to be accomplished by such an act?  Holy Communion, as I understand it, is an exceptional mystery, an expression not only of our union with Almighty God through Christ, but also of our participation in the Body of Christ (both that physical body and His body as the Church).  It is for this reason, I suppose, that the Roman Catholics in their understanding have often referred to it as the "Most Blessed Sacrament."  Although the outward form of consecration, using the ancient prayers, might be the same in all of the ecclesiastical communities you mentioned, and even more, if I do not consider myself a "member" of that community, why would I partake?  

As many have said in posts on this forum, while we can say where God is (in His Holy Orthodox Church), we cannot say where God is not, and I dare say that I have seen many, many evidences of His grace in the lives of Christians who were non-Orthodox.  No one can say that God could not impart his grace in a heterodox sacrament if He so chooses, but even so, we cannot ever presume to say with certainty when, where, and how this is done.  To me, by communing there, that is essentially what we are saying, judging that, for ourselves, God has done something there.  Nevertheless, having come to the fulness of the faith, why express, by receiving this blessed mystery in a definite, outward manner, my union, before God, with an ecclesiastical entity with which I am not in union?  We are taught that, if we are not properly disposed, we should not receive it even in our own Orthodox Church; if we merely approach it with the attitude that we should "get it" or "receive it," rather than to think of the preciousness of the gift that is being offered, maybe we miss a lot of the blessing.  I am reminded of St. Paul's admonition in 1 Corinthians 11 (with respect to the love feast) that we are not to look to the object, the ceremony, at the expense of its meaning.  For me, as an Orthodox Christian, the meaning of Holy Communion is found in the Orthodox Church.  Communing elsewhere just simply doesn't expresss this.

As for me, while I am content to fellowship and to share in the love of Christ with those in other communions, my respect for the integrity of the Church's wholeness precludes me from doing more, until such time, at least, when schisms are healed and we see the true fulfillment of Christ's prayer in John 17, "I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you."  Although I greatly respect, thank God for, and heartily admire the Christian testimony of those I know from other communions, many of my own relatives and forebears among them, I respect that we should not put the cart before the horse by sharing Holy Communion in such an instance.

Just my two cents.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »

Yes.

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »

Yes, I would refuse. I would gladly accept whatever prayers they wanted to offer, but not a sacramental anointing.

Holy Unction carries all the constraints of the other sacraments. We cannot anoint non-Orthodox (so says the Antiochian liturgikon, at least), so we should not be anointed by non-Orthodox. If we are not to commune, be married, or be ordained by a priest of another communion, why would we be sacramentally anointed by him?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:24:36 PM by bogdan » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

I would refuse any Sacrament.  A Sacrament is specific to the Faith.  If I don't adhere to that Faith, why would I accept a "Sacrament" from them?

....but, that's just me.  I even feel "weird" when I stand for a prayer led by a non-Orthodox minister, priest, etc.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »

I'm not hating on the RCs or any other denomination, but if I join the Eastern Orthodox Church, I join the Eastern Orthodox Church.

This may be presumptuous, but I like to think that a last anointing is going to have little effect on my salvation (as in, I don't think I'm going to hell just because of that opportunity for a last anointing). So it there is no EO priest around, I won't do it. If the RC/OO priest wants to say a prayer, I'm fine with that.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »

EO all the way. Smiley

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »

Perhaps some of our Orthodox clergy, and other clergy, might be willing to share in their own personal experiences with respect to the issue of being called to a hospital or accident scene when no other clergy are available or willing to come.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »

Communion: No. They are anathematized heretics. Their "mysteries" mean nothing.

Unction: No, for the same reason.

Communion: I am Eastern Orthodox, so obviously...yes. Grin

Unction: Same, also obviously!

Communion: Yes, if given a dispensation to do so. I believe the Oriental Orthodox to be fully Orthodox, we hold the same faith and would venerate their mysteries as much as I would the EO.

Unction: Again yes. If I believe their Eucharist "valid", to use a Latin term, I would believe the same about Unction.

4. Roman Catholic Church

Communion: No. The RCC has drifted from the faith. While I hesitate to say their sacraments are graceless, I do believe them to be something less than the Eucharist of the Eastern Orthodox Church, as the RCC no longer hold the fullness of the faith.

Unction: No, I don't believe I would. While there is most likely grace there, in my opinion, I don't believe I would feel right about it. I feel less strongly about this, however, and it would not bother me for another EO to do so, if in a dire situation and no EO priest is reachable.

5. Anglican

Communion: No, they have drifted from the faith and are even deeply divided amongst themselves. I do not believe their sacrament to be "valid", again to use a Latin term.

Unction: Do Anglicans even do this? Maybe the high church Anglo-Catholics. I don't believe there to be any real grace here, and so I would not believe it to be beneficial. I would not accept it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:29:27 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »

4. Roman Catholic Church
5. Anglican

For me, if I couldn't commune in an OO Church...

1. Assyrian Church: No, I'm sorry I just cannot receive the sacraments from a Church which venerates Nestorius. (No offense intended)

2. Eastern Orthodox: Yes, we share the same faith even if we aren't in canonical communion.

3. Roman Catholic: Meh... I'd be quite hesitant, quite a bit separates Orthodoxy from Catholicism. If my Bishop granted me dispensation, maybe.

4. Anglican (even if they believe in the real presence): No. (No offense intended)

No offense, but I would NEVER commune with a non-Orthodox Catholic Church. EVER. Not even Oriental Orthodox.

Forgive my sins.
Chtets Ioann

Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Diocese of Canada

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »

Communion: No. They are anathematized heretics. Their "mysteries" mean nothing.

Unction: No, for the same reason.

Communion: I am Eastern Orthodox, so obviously...yes. Grin

Unction: Same, also obviously!

Communion: Yes, if given a dispensation to do so. I believe the Oriental Orthodox to be fully Orthodox, we hold the same faith and would venerate their mysteries as much as I would the EO.

Unction: Again yes. If I believe their Eucharist "valid", to use a Latin term, I would believe the same about Unction.

4. Roman Catholic Church

Communion: No. The RCC has drifted from the faith. While I hesitate to say their sacraments are graceless, I do believe them to be something less than the Eucharist of the Eastern Orthodox Church, as the RCC no longer hold the fullness of the faith.

Unction: No, I don't believe I would. While there is most likely grace there, in my opinion, I don't believe I would feel right about it. I feel less strongly about this, however, and it would not bother me for another EO to do so, if in a dire situation and no EO priest is reachable.

5. Anglican

Communion: No, they have drifted from the faith and are even deeply divided amongst themselves. I do not believe their sacrament to be "valid", again to use a Latin term.

Unction: Do Anglicans even do this? Maybe the high church Anglo-Catholics. I don't believe there to be any real grace here, and so I would not believe it to be beneficial. I would not accept it.

Interesting so the Assyrian "Orthodox" are definitely out. But the Oriental "Orthodox" are in? Both have been condemned by an Ecumenical Council as being graceless heretics. I wouldn't attend a non Orthodox Church if I was in an area that had absolutely no Orthodox parish. Why would I? I might as well go have bacon and eggs, or go bowling, or do any of a number of things.

Bottom line is, if you're an Orthodox Christian and you find yourself in an area with no Orthodox parish you should do services on your own, Matins, Hours, Akathists, etc.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »

@Chtets Ioann  I don't want a polemical debate please. You have been warned before for making polemical posts about non-Chalcedonians. I'm tempted to report you to the moderators for caling us "graceless heretics" on the public forum, but, I will not. Please behave yourself.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:02:56 AM by Severian » Logged

Chtets Ioann

Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Diocese of Canada

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 12:17:08 AM »

@Chtets Ioann  I don't want a polemical debate please. You have been warned before for making polemical posts about non-Chalcedonians. I'm tempted to report you to the moderators for caling us "graceless heretics" on the public forum, but, I will not. Please behave yourself.

But why would you report me for stating on an Orthodox forum what the Orthodox Fathers attested to, at the 4th Ecumenical Council? The point is however, that Orthodox Christians may not attend or commune in non Orthodox Churches because of the belief that the Orthodox Church is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. If you as an Armenian or Copt or whatever you are would like to come to an Orthodox Church, you are certainly welcome to... without partaking in any Mysteries nor receiving any blessings (antidoron, holy water, oil).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:18:08 AM by Chtets Ioann » Logged
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »

Look I don't want to argue, but, I know that calling non-Chalcedonians graceless heretics on the public forum is forbidden. Let's just both quit while we are ahead, we will never reach an agreement. I certainly don't want to get in trouble for creating a polemical debate about Chalcedon and I would honestly hate to see you get in trouble. I saw you get warned on another thread for this sort of stuff. Let's just agree to disagree and respond to the forum appropriately, okay? I don't mind being called a graceless heretic, but, on the public forum, no way am I tolerating it. I'm used to accusations of heresy and I'm used to hearing my Saints and my Church being insulted, degraded and accused of adhering to a heresy which she has always condemned (i.e. "monophysitism"). You do not believe I am Orthodox, and you do not have to, I can understand why you consider me a "heretic", but, on the public forum it is strictly forbidden to call me one.

The Peace and Blessings of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you Chtets Ioann,
Severian

Btw, I just officially wrote over 100 posts! Yay!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:06:51 AM by Severian » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »

If you as an Armenian or Copt or whatever you are would like to come to an Orthodox Church, you are certainly welcome to... without partaking in any Mysteries nor receiving any blessings (antidoron, holy water, oil).

I don't want to enter into the EO vs. OO debate, but I do want to mention that this is the first time I've heard that non-Orthodox aren't allowed to receive antidoron or holy water.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »

Antidoron is available to all who wish to partake at my church.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »

It's really surprising how differently  and assyrians are treated on this forum by mostly convert American Orthodox, all the while the canonical tradition of our church seems to treat them on the same level. Now, that said, I like them both, maybe the Assyrians a bit more, just because my life's circumstances brought me into closer contact with them. I have never communed, in my whole life, elsewhere than in the OC, although  could have both with the RC and the Assyrians.
If I were in danger of death though, I might consider receiving the Communion from either the OO, RC or Assyrians.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:55:37 AM by augustin717 » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »

This would be my position as well - along with the rest of Benjamin the Red's analysis. However, I have never looked into the Assyrian Church at all, so the result is that the answer would still be "no" (to both) because of my not being sure of their faith.
Tags: communion intercommunion 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: