OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 09:20:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm getting very upset with all the RACISM expressed on this forum :(  (Read 1040 times) Average Rating: 0
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« on: July 07, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This is shameful folks.. why so much racism here on the forum? It seems like almost all of a sudden the forum has been flooded with ignorance, prejudice, and racism.. I don't understand it, but Lord Have His Mercy Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:41:53 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »

Forums, like churches, are made up of people with many different views.

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This is shameful folks.. why so much racism here on the forum? It seems like almost all of a sudden the forum has been flooded with ignorance, prejudice, and racism.. I don't understand it, but Lord Have His Mercy Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Where are you seeing this racism?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »

I understand what you are talking about, HabteSelassie.  It is sad, especially to be coming from Orthodox Christians.

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I trust that you have read the Board News thread, and therefore are aware that anyone can report a post that they find objectionable.

Since I have to presume that you have done so, it just strikes me as unexplainable why you would put up this post in direct opposition to what posters here are asked to do.

I eagerly await your explanation, with this explanation in agreement with the polcies set forth for all posters to follow.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

I understand what you are talking about, HabteSelassie.  It is sad, especially to be coming from Orthodox Christians.

Trevor---

This really astounds me, since I know you know how to report posts. If there is a post you find objectionable, then report it. Don't agree that there is a problem and then do nothing to correct it!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I trust that you have read the Board News thread, and therefore are aware that anyone can report a post that they find objectionable.

Since I have to presume that you have done so, it just strikes me as unexplainable why you would put up this post in direct opposition to what posters here are asked to do.

I eagerly await your explanation, with this explanation in agreement with the polcies set forth for all posters to follow.

There have literally been dozens of racist posts just in the past week, I am not going to snitch on every one, or pull the covers of all the posters, rather I posted this so they and all other posters can know that it is a problem, and honestly, if folks aren't seeing it they either are racist themselves or just not looking Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »

How do you report private messages you find objectionable?

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »

A thread was recently shut down because it turned into a free for all on both sides of the race question. I suspect this is what Selassie refers to.

Personally I think he is overreacting, which I'm told, is typical. Sorry if I offend by saying that, its what I have seen. I also did not appreciate the argument being taken to my private messagebox.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:00:29 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »

Typical of what, exactly?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »

How do you report private messages you find objectionable?

I guess I would know  Wink  .  The little "report to moderator" link on the bottom right.  This can also be used to submit posts for "post of the month".

EDIT:  I now see you were talking about messages, not posts.  my bad Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:06:54 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

Hapte, Xenia and Trevor--Surely you must know that Father Chris is trying to point out to all three of you that you are breaking a rule here. By posting the way you have, you have aired complaints that should be expressed through private message to the moderators. I am a new moderator here, but I can readily see how allowing non-moderators to try to moderate/guide discussions, in public no less,would lead to anarchy. Don't you see that?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »

Hapte, Xenia and Trevor--Surely you must know that Father Chris is trying to point out to all three of you that you are breaking a rule here. By posting the way you have, you have aired complaints that should be expressed through private message to the moderators. I am a new moderator here, but I can readily see how allowing non-moderators to try to moderate/guide discussions, in public no less,would lead to anarchy. Don't you see that?

I won't post here again. Let it be noted, however, that the thread was started by HabteSelassie.

Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »

I don't think this forum is full of racists on the whole by any means. However the old cliche about voices shouting loudly been the most heard comes to mind.  I think the points made that this is best deal with by reporting such matters is ultimately for the best.

As to 'what I have seen', well no-one here Orthodox or otherwise can see from all positions as an omniscent outlook is reserved for God. From what I have seen the human comedy and tragedy varies in nuances but not in essentials from place to place. But of course that is only what I have seen.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »

Hab, its a public forum and there is a tonne of different people who can join so you will get a lot of different views. Some of them are not going to have nice views but thas life. Thats what discussion are for so that you can persuade people differently.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »

Thread locked pending review.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: