OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Developing a new prayer rule  (Read 599 times) Average Rating: 0
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »

My exit from the church i attended for many years was, to put it bluntly, devastating. As a consequence, i have not felt i could pray or even tried to adopt a new prayer rule for at least five years.

I would appreciate your prayers as i embark on a renewed prayer rule this week. Getting back into church is a big step for me and i know it would be made easier if i prayed regularly. I find it so difficult to do and often stop mid-sentence, not being able to continue reciting the words.

~ Dyhn
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »

It is always best get help from a priest with these matters. If you are in America, you can find a priest near you on this website: http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/

A standard set of prayers, said in almost all of the Church's services, is called the Trisagion Prayers. (Sign of the cross indicated by "+")

In the Name of the + Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

+ Glory to thee, our God, glory to thee.

O heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art in all places and fillest all things; Treasury of good things and Giver of life: Come and dwell in us and cleanse us from every stain, and save our souls, O gracious Lord.

+ Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal: have mercy on us.

Glory to the + Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All-holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for thy Name's sake.

Lord, have mercy.

Lord, have mercy.

Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the + Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

+ Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

+ Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:13:51 AM by bogdan » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:09:40 AM »

Prayer is hard work, something that we often forget as  we start a new rule.

May I ask if you are under the guidance of a priest? Oftentimes we have lots of experience to help those who are struggling in starting and staying with a prayer rule.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Dyhn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:46:03 AM »

I don't have access to a priest, no. I may be moving at the end of September to either Nottingham or Maldon, Essex ~ depending on work commitments. Until then, i'm on hold, so~to~speak.
Please continue to pray that i will stick to the simple measures i've put in place regarding prayer.

~ Dyhn
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:48:16 AM »

I don't have access to a priest, no. I may be moving at the end of September to either Nottingham or Maldon, Essex ~ depending on work commitments. Until then, i'm on hold, so~to~speak.
Please continue to pray that i will stick to the simple measures i've put in place regarding prayer.

~ Dyhn

If your move is to Maldon, then you are truly rather blessed.  You will be so close to Tolleshunt Knights and the monastery of Saint John the Baptist.   The monks and nuns there, about 40 of them, would welcome your enquiries and welcome you to share services and meals.
Dyhn

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »

~ Dyhn

If your move is to Maldon, then you are truly rather blessed.  You will be so close to Tolleshunt Knights and the monastery of Saint John the Baptist.   The monks and nuns there, about 40 of them, would welcome your enquiries and welcome you to share services and meals.

I've looked up online and both area's have good churches. I plan on attending as soon as i have moved. Thank you all for your prayers, i have not yet managed to complete my prayer rule but i have made significant progress.

~ Dyhn
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:53:15 AM by Dyhn » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: