OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:06:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes God holy and how is he good??  (Read 422 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »

It's accepted that God is holy but what makes him holy??
Being holy means that he has worship from everyone but what makes him that way from the start?? If God was a alien entity (which he could be to anyone that isn't from any one religion but did believe in the existence of some sort of god), he wouldn't necessary be holy so how come God is holy??

Also, what is Gods version of "good" like?? When it says that he is good, and we only know our version of being good and goodness, what is his version of it?? Don't just tell me a gazzillion times better than ours because i don't mean that, or don't just say because he is perfect, because perfect might mean whole and not perfect without a fault, or even what WE would consider a fault.

What i mean is ...... ok example...... if i got my friend sectioned because she was cutting herself then it might not seem good to her but it would be, a good decision for her own good. I think Gods way of being good is close to that sort of thing, so then, his goodness basically comes down to his judgement about matters??

If he is perfect and whole, then his judgement is sound..... is that what makes him good??

If that's the case then does it all come down to trusting his judgement??

Obviously i am thinking of this from a personal selfish perspective but maybe his goodness doesn't even have anything to do with us??

Sorry thas the best i can do to explain what im stuck on.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

God is holy by nature.  Other things are holy because they are like Him, or rather are according to His Will.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »

Poppy, I enjoy both your questions and your avatars.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:03:17 PM »

Poppy,

First, I have to say that your avatar is too cute, especially with the comment below. 

Second, these are big questions.  I know what I feel because of my faith, but I don't know if it will help you understand better.  Perhaps someone will give a better explanation.

All I can say is that God is Supranatural.  He is beyond nature (because he is the energy of all things created) and therefore cannot be compared to anything created, even aliens.  I think a person who accepts aliens (I'm not saying you) is limiting himself.  God is beyond limit.  He is the source of your soul and no other intelligent being from another planet can do that.  People may say that they planted humans here or cloned them into what they call Neanderthals, but that's a limitation of the relationship.  They are not the source (life force) of your soul.

Holiness and goodness are limited terms used in trying to relate to His Supernatural essence.  Holy because He is beyond nature and those who are called holy saints are called that because they are united with His energy.  They are not holy of themselves.  His goodness is, for lack of a better word, referring to our understanding of the trust we have in His decisions in our lives.  Yes, we trust His judgement completely.

And since we are all created by God, He gave us that conscience of Him in our souls.  That's why we have this feeling in us to push us to do something for the sake of a friend because if we didn't we could never forgive ourselves, right?  That's what we call a goodness in us.
That's the best I can explain how I understand it, for the moment.  The holy fathers explain it a lot better. 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »

Thanks vam but what is it in his nature that makes him holy??
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »

Poppy,

And since we are all created by God, He gave us that conscience of Him in our souls.  That's why we have this feeling in us to push us to do something for the sake of a friend because if we didn't we could never forgive ourselves, right?  That's what we call a goodness in us.

That is part of the reason i changed January this year, into believing that (a) God exists.... from being agnostic.....is because of the amazing ways some people will go to help someone else and even risk their life for them..... or how people make art and architecture that just almost takes your breath out of you. I don't like opera but once when i was out in a park i came across a open air concert run by the local council for summer community... w/eva.... and walked up close enough to see a pinpoint lady in the distance start to sing but the noise wasn't small. She belted it out and i can't even describe to you what her voice was like, it went right through my skin and bones. Also how doctors can fix a tiny valve inside a baby that is inside a woman not even born yet!!!! All of that seems to me like there has to be something more than human not added to it (because humans can do amazing things) but more like a echo of something more than themselves. (i sound like i have been drinking huh?? lolOl)

joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

Quote from: Poppy
but more like a echo of something more than themselves.

That's for sure!  How sad would it be if it was only about this world?  One would ask, what's the purpose of this life?  To be born, degenerate and die? There has to be something more.  That's why the saints wrote about being in delusion...thinking only of this world is being blind to what is really going on.  How would you explain the spiritual aspect of what you understand now, to an agnostic?  Are there key points that you would point out in order to make them think about it? 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 05:06:42 AM »

God is holy and good, it is who he is and woven together with all his other glorious attributes, they all provide definition for each other Poppy. How can God be good outside of his mercy, patience and justice? Consider Father God in the fullness of his nature, and you will be closer to your answer.

~ Dyhn
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »

God is holy and good, it is who he is and woven together with all his other glorious attributes, they all provide definition for each other Poppy. How can God be good outside of his mercy, patience and justice? Consider Father God in the fullness of his nature, and you will be closer to your answer.

~ Dyhn

what is the fullness of it?? How can anyone even know the fullness of it??
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: