OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:20:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick questions  (Read 932 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: August 26, 2011, 03:34:16 AM »

How do you call a building in a village where people gather for some special occasions, various events are held etc.?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »

Town Hall? Community centre?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »

How do you call a building in a village where people gather for some special occasions, various events are held etc.?

Sorry a lot of words there. Context would be helpful.

"Village" rings odd in contemporary American English, although many municipalities are in fact "villages".

So if the context is antiquated, that would be helpful to know.

Sorry.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »

Community centre?

That seems fine, thank you.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »

I am Canadian and we are more british than Americans so I personally would call it a village hall.

A community centre in Canada means a place where organized activiety takes place such as evening classes for adult etc or gymn classes and usually includes a hockey rink in small towns & you pay for the use of the community centre.

But a village hall is used for meetings to announce news or for wedding receptions & social events.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »

"Village" rings odd in contemporary American English, although many municipalities are in fact "villages".

Sorry.

since much of suburbia are technically "villages" (the law being so retro and all), "village hall" is not so antiquated.

"Community center" is possible, but in my neck of the woods that is usually used in the city (Chicago) for neighborhood centers.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

Sorry.

since much of suburbia are technically "villages" (the law being so retro and all), "village hall" is not so antiquated.

"Community center" is possible, but in my neck of the woods that is usually used in the city (Chicago) for neighborhood centers.

They are villages as I pointed out, but I have yet to live in one where they had a village hall.

Same here for "community" center. "Community" means blacks folks.

There is no good word for this in American English.

We just ain't got communities as such anymore. Except for when use them as euphemism for the minority group we don't want to name.

In America, pretty much anything anymore will branded by a commercial endorser.

So pick some company which scales to whatever size population you are looking at and add "center" at the end.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:28:16 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »

Temperance hall? Wink
Mary Baker Eddy
Author of all divine
Gifts, lofty, pure, and free,
Temperance and truth in song sublime
An offering bring to Thee!

A temple, whose high dome
Rose from a water-cup;
And from its altar to Thy throne
May we press on and up!

And she--last at the cross,
First at the tomb, who waits--
Woman--will watch to cleanse from dross
The cause she elevates.

Sons of the old Bay State,
Work for our glorious cause!
And be your waiting hearts elate,
Since temperance makes your laws.

"Temples of Honor," all,
"Social," or grand, or great,
This blazoned, brilliant temperance hall
To Thee we dedicate.

"Good Templars" one and all,
Good "Sons," and daughters, too,
We dedicate this temperance hall
To God, to Truth, and you!

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »

I am Canadian and we are more british than Americans so I personally would call it a village hall.

A community centre in Canada means a place where organized activiety takes place such as evening classes for adult etc or gymn classes and usually includes a hockey rink in small towns & you pay for the use of the community centre.

But a village hall is used for meetings to announce news or for wedding receptions & social events.
When I lived in a village in Saskatchewan, there definitely was a "village hall" for that sort of thing. But in a larger city - such as where I live now in Ontario - "community centre" or "community hall" are used. Orest's use of "community centre" as a multi-purpose building complex is also used in some places.

"Town hall" and "city hall" almost always mean municipal government offices. Now that I think about it, I wonder why "village hall" didn't take on the same meaning. The Saskatchewan village I mentioned above has a "village office". I just checked Google street view. The "Village Office" is clearly signed. No sign of any sort on the building we called the "village hall".
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: