OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question regarding Icons  (Read 675 times) Average Rating: 0
Reforming Protestant

Faith: Reforming Protestant
Jurisdiction: US

« on: July 03, 2011, 06:34:21 AM »

I'm using icons on my web page and due to the fact that I get visitors from other various christian faiths visiting. I'd like to be as accurate as possible. Here is the link to the icon I am trying to identify http://www.protestantreforming.com/links/. Im guessing its either archangel gabriel or michael. I do know it is located in Athens - other than that I'm at a loss. Are there any good icon web pages?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:07 AM »

That is an icon of the Archangel Gabriel.

Hope this helps.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Reforming Protestant

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »

it does thank you - if you dont mind me asking - is there any clear identifiable way to distinguish between gabriel and michael
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »

Titles.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »

Also, I think Michael is almost always dressed as a warrior while Gabriel is in a robe.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »

I'm not sure there is a way that always works, as the iconography seems to differ, but Volnutt is right that if you see one of them holding a sword, shield or spear, it is likely the Archangel Michael.

If you can learn to recognise the Greek letters Mi (Mu) and Gamma, that will also assist.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »

I think I've usually seen St. Michael depicted in battle attire, with a red over-garment, and St. Gabriel in green. Hope that helps.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »

In Greek tradition, both Archangels, not just Michael, are known as Taxiarchoi (Commanders) of the heavenly hosts, therefore, it is not uncommon to see Gabriel dressed as a warrior, as well as Michael. It is also the norm across traditions to see archangels (including Michael) robed as heavenly messengers, bearing an emissary's staff (often mistaken for a spear - it is not). The colors of their robes vary widely, though a common iconographic technique is to reverse the main colors for each archangel if both are depicted in the icon or deesis series. So, for example, one will be wearing a blue tunic under a green cloak, the other a green tunic over a blue cloak.

The surest way of identifying any archangel is to look at the inscription of his name.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »

That sounds better. Thanks.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Reforming Protestant

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »

thanks guys appreciate the assistance!
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »

In Greek tradition, both Archangels, not just Michael, are known as Taxiarchoi (Commanders) of the heavenly hosts, therefore, it is not uncommon to see Gabriel dressed as a warrior, as well as Michael. It is also the norm across traditions to see archangels (including Michael) robed as heavenly messengers, bearing an emissary's staff (often mistaken for a spear - it is not). The colors of their robes vary widely, though a common iconographic technique is to reverse the main colors for each archangel if both are depicted in the icon or deesis series. So, for example, one will be wearing a blue tunic under a green cloak, the other a green tunic over a blue cloak.

The surest way of identifying any archangel is to look at the inscription of his name.
What is the orb they sometimes carry called? Is it just a mandorla?
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »

Carrying a lily (sometimes another kind of flower) is St Gabriel.

Margaret
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »

I've tried researching this matter. There doesn't seem to be much information about this out there that I can find, and that which I have found doesn't make sense and/or contradicts.

I'd love to hear what people here have to say about this.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:15:42 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »

I've tried researching this matter. There doesn't seem to be much information about this out there that I can find, and that which I have found doesn't make sense and/or contradicts.

I'd love to hear what people here have to say about this.  Smiley
Then buy or go to your nearest library and read Ouspensky's book "The Meaning of Icons."  It is really the best source.  Do some serious reading and get the correct answers from this book.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: