Author Topic: Quick question regarding Icons  (Read 816 times)

Offline Reforming Protestant

Quick question regarding Icons
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:34:21 AM »
 I'm using icons on my web page and due to the fact that I get visitors from other various christian faiths visiting. I'd like to be as accurate as possible. Here is the link to the icon I am trying to identify http://www.protestantreforming.com/links/. Im guessing its either archangel gabriel or michael. I do know it is located in Athens - other than that I'm at a loss. Are there any good icon web pages?

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
Re: Quick question regarding Icons
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:07 AM »
That is an icon of the Archangel Gabriel.

Hope this helps.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
it does thank you - if you dont mind me asking - is there any clear identifiable way to distinguish between gabriel and michael

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
Titles.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
Also, I think Michael is almost always dressed as a warrior while Gabriel is in a robe.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »
I'm not sure there is a way that always works, as the iconography seems to differ, but Volnutt is right that if you see one of them holding a sword, shield or spear, it is likely the Archangel Michael.

If you can learn to recognise the Greek letters Mi (Mu) and Gamma, that will also assist.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
I think I've usually seen St. Michael depicted in battle attire, with a red over-garment, and St. Gabriel in green. Hope that helps.   :)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
In Greek tradition, both Archangels, not just Michael, are known as Taxiarchoi (Commanders) of the heavenly hosts, therefore, it is not uncommon to see Gabriel dressed as a warrior, as well as Michael. It is also the norm across traditions to see archangels (including Michael) robed as heavenly messengers, bearing an emissary's staff (often mistaken for a spear - it is not). The colors of their robes vary widely, though a common iconographic technique is to reverse the main colors for each archangel if both are depicted in the icon or deesis series. So, for example, one will be wearing a blue tunic under a green cloak, the other a green tunic over a blue cloak.

The surest way of identifying any archangel is to look at the inscription of his name.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
That sounds better. Thanks.  :)

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »
thanks guys appreciate the assistance!

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
In Greek tradition, both Archangels, not just Michael, are known as Taxiarchoi (Commanders) of the heavenly hosts, therefore, it is not uncommon to see Gabriel dressed as a warrior, as well as Michael. It is also the norm across traditions to see archangels (including Michael) robed as heavenly messengers, bearing an emissary's staff (often mistaken for a spear - it is not). The colors of their robes vary widely, though a common iconographic technique is to reverse the main colors for each archangel if both are depicted in the icon or deesis series. So, for example, one will be wearing a blue tunic under a green cloak, the other a green tunic over a blue cloak.

The surest way of identifying any archangel is to look at the inscription of his name.
What is the orb they sometimes carry called? Is it just a mandorla?

Offline Margaret S.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
Carrying a lily (sometimes another kind of flower) is St Gabriel.

Margaret

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »

I've tried researching this matter. There doesn't seem to be much information about this out there that I can find, and that which I have found doesn't make sense and/or contradicts.

I'd love to hear what people here have to say about this.  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:15:42 PM by Benjamin the Red »
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »

I've tried researching this matter. There doesn't seem to be much information about this out there that I can find, and that which I have found doesn't make sense and/or contradicts.

I'd love to hear what people here have to say about this.  :)
Then buy or go to your nearest library and read Ouspensky's book "The Meaning of Icons."  It is really the best source.  Do some serious reading and get the correct answers from this book.