OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:40:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to pray...using the Jamagirk  (Read 391 times) Average Rating: 0
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« on: July 05, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding prayer. I have asked one priest regarding this, but I would like others' input as well.

I want to start consistently using the Jamagirk in my daily prayer life. I feel like the structure of it helps me to stay focused and when I pray it I feel like I'm really praying. Especially since I have been learning Classical Armenian and am starting to actually understand the various prayer and the Liturgy more and more, I find it to be very spiritually fulfilling rather than praying in English. I guess my questions are manifold:

1) The Jamagirk is not really used by laity and even among the clergy it is not used as much. Would it be considered "odd" to be using it on a daily basis?

2) How many offices per day should I be doing, simply Aravodyan and Gisherayin Jam? I am off during the day for the most part so should I be saying 3rd 6th and 9th hour as well?

3) How do I use it correctly? I have the 1985 Jerusalem edition of the Jamagirk and sometimes when I follow along with the services at church, different hymns are sung which are not in the Jamagirk itself. Is it ok to "abbreviate" the "breivary"? (pun intended)

Thanks in advance for your input on the manner. Maybe others from other jurisdictions (I know the Copts use the Agpea for example) can provide insight into using their own Book of Hours.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:45:39 PM by Gisasargavak » Logged
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »

1) The Jamagirk is not really used by laity and even among the clergy it is not used as much. Would it be considered "odd" to be using it on a daily basis?
It isn't?  I don't know about that.  Not odd at all to use it for prayer, but maybe a little unusual to be attempting to pray every zhamerkutyoon every day.  Just remember that everything in the Jamakirk is OK for lay prayer -except- the priests' prayers that include Khaghaghootiun Amenetzoon.  Those must be omitted.

2) How many offices per day should I be doing, simply Aravodyan and Gisherayin Jam? I am off during the day for the most part so should I be saying 3rd 6th and 9th hour as well?
I appreciate your piety in wishing to do this, but remember that the Jamakirk was collated by monastics for a monastic prayer life.  As a lay person, you are not expected to pray the entire thing every day.  Nor could you by yourself.  Aravodyan and Kisherayin are probably fine. 

3) How do I use it correctly? I have the 1985 Jerusalem edition of the Jamagirk and sometimes when I follow along with the services at church, different hymns are sung which are not in the Jamagirk itself. Is it ok to "abbreviate" the "breivary"? (pun intended)
Praying the Jamakirk alone as a layperson means you are not able to do an entire canonical service.  It's no more than a regimented series of prayers and songs you are practicing in your private devotion.  Just keep that in mind.  It's your personal prayer life.  Do what fits your life and your schedule, and don't overwhelm yourself with the minutiae and formalities, because at the end of the day, it's your personal prayer.   

Just my opinion.
Tags: Armenian Church  prayer  Jamagirk  Book of Hours Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: